GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

PC Building

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Was so excited to finally build that I forgot to post photos! Finished on Monday.

Final Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2x16) 3600MHz CL16
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVMe, Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2 NVMe, WD Caviar Black 2 TB 7200rpm HDD, Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 7200rpm HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini mATX
Case Fans: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 140 mm (X2), Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 120 mm (X1)
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell U2518D 25.0" IPS 1440p/60 Hz
Keyboard: Keychron K​2 w/ Gateron browns
Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S (Black)

Last edited:

smanierre

Go Kart Champion
Was so excited to finally build that I forgot to post photos! Finished on Monday.

Final Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2x16) 3600MHz CL16
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVMe, Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2 NVMe, WD Caviar Black 2 TB 7200rpm HDD, Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 7200rpm HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini mATX
Case Fans: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 140 mm (X2), Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 120 mm (X1)
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell U2518D 25.0" IPS 1440p/60 Hz
Keyboard: Keychron K​2 w/ Gateron browns
Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S (Black)
Holy cable management. You'd probably have a stroke if you saw my pc. Looks good

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Holy cable management. You'd probably have a stroke if you saw my pc. Looks good
Thanks! That was one of my goals. I was waiting until the weekend to finish tidying up the back side of the case. It's not too bad, but definitely not as clean as the front.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
I think that my 2TB HDD is starting to take a dump. HDDs are slow, but it shouldn't take a 7200rpm HDD over 40 minutes to transfer 4.5GB while constantly hitting 0kB/s transfer speeds. Not only that, but there are files missing from one folder that I know were there. Windows has also started trying to repair this drive on startup.
I ordered a 2TB Adata SU800 SSD, so I'll resolve it this weekend.

Bonus updated photo of rig with big motherfucker cooler (Cryorig H5 Ultimate).

And bonus bonus cat tax.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Go Kart Champion
I built a few PCs for work last week. We've been having issues with the printer in our service area and after not being to get the printer to work on either computer down there I said fuck it and ordered parts for 3 new computers. After I got them all together and everything all set up I think I figured out the problem may have been with the printer, but oh well, they needed new computers down there anyway.

They've all got Ryzen 3 3200Gs, 8gb DDR4 3000 mhz C15 ram, msi b450m pro-m2 v2 mobos, and 500gb m2 nvme ssds, with thermaltake h17 cases. Nothing fancy, but not too bad for a $350ish computer I think. They're a hell of a lot better than the 2 core/2 thread cpu prebuilt computers they were using before.

The first day I had the first computer set up they called me about 4:50, 10 minutes before I go home, to let me know it wasn't printing. I just sat there for a second like, you're fucking with me right?

I gotta say...I need to start looking at amazon reviews when I start having problems because reviews on that printer were all talking about the same problem I've been having. We can go a month with no problems or we can go a day, you never know what's gonna happen. I could never figure out what the problem was or find a real solution to the problem. Sometimes you can just restart the pc and it'll work itself out. Other times I need to mess with the drivers and remove the printer.

What the amazon reviews had pointed out was an inherent problem with the printer. When it's asleep it has an issue waking up, and it happens randomly. If you don't use the printer for more than 60 minutes there's a chance it won't wake up and the next time you go to print the printer will immediately show as offline. As far as I can tell there was only one firmware version that allowed you to disable sleep completely, but I haven't been able to find a download for it. For now I'm just going to see if turning off the printer and the pc and turning them back on will be good enough to fix it. At least now they have a pc with an ssd so restarting only takes a minute.

I feel like most people would say to just order prebuilts from online for a business, but we're just a small company. There's probably about 12 computers here and only 9 of them are worked on daily. I just like knowing I'm only using decent quality parts and not some cheap mobo/psu/ram/case to keep the costs down. Plus they don't have any bloatware from the manufacturer.

In the not too far away future I want to replace the rest of the PCs, but that might not be until spring/summer 2020.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Sounds like time to start a little fund for a non problem child printer! That's gotta be aggravating.

sterkrazzy

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like time to start a little fund for a non problem child printer! That's gotta be aggravating.
Yea that's what I was thinking, but it's a $700 printer and our options with what's compatible is limited and I think they're all expensive. We'll see how problematic it is from here. Not that we can't afford spending the money, but I try to be somewhat conscious on how much we spending.

I feel like we needed new PCs anyway, so at least it wasn't a total waste of time. I even said a few weeks ago I want to build a bunch of new computers for the office soon. About 1/3 of the office is done now and I'll work on the rest sometime next year I think, after our busy season ends.

PhthaloType

Ready to race!
I just came across this thread... Nice build, congrats!

I just built a new system, myself. Actually I kept my old case but replaced most of the components.

The New:
MSI X570-A PRO motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600
GTX 1660 Ti
16 GB DDR4
500 GB NVMe SSD
144 Hz 24" Monitor

Kept from old system:
Case
PSU (620W)
1 TB HDD

As a plus, I used the old motherboard, CPU, and RAM to make another PC for Network Attached Storage (NAS). Took an old case and threw them in along with a new PSU, network adapter, and 2x 4 TB WD Red HDDs. Now we have a full-time, dedicated Plex server to host our downloaded media.

Last edited:

torga

Drag Race Newbie
How you liking Zen2? My buddy got a 3600X and he's happy with it. I have no complaints about my 3700X.
After the holidays, I'm looking to upgrade my GPU - looking at 2070S or 5700 XT, but I'm leaning green.

PhthaloType

Ready to race!
I like that 3rd gen Ryzen enables the PCIe 4.0 spec, where 2nd gen limits it to 3.0, so I can get the most from my NVMe. Doesn't help my GPU since it only supports 3.0, but I had future-proofing in mind when picking the CPU and mobo in particular.

How's the IPS display look? I think I spent more time researching monitors than anything else. There are just so many more specs to compare than there used to be! I wanted an IPS at first, but I prioritized gaming over other general stuff I use my PC for, so I ended up going with a low response time, high refresh rate TN.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
I love my NVMe - boots are so quick.
Photo editing was one of the main reasons I built this PC, so accurate color reproduction was paramount. I did some research on calibrating the screen and it's as accurate as I can tell, so I'm happy. Not too warm, not too blue, not too saturated, etc. Very neutral.
I came from playing a Switch that only does 30fps, so even a 60Hz display was an upgrade lol

jimlloyd40

Drag Race Newbie
I love my NVMe - boots are so quick.
Photo editing was one of the main reasons I built this PC, so accurate color reproduction was paramount. I did some research on calibrating the screen and it's as accurate as I can tell, so I'm happy. Not too warm, not too blue, not too saturated, etc. Very neutral.
I came from playing a Switch that only does 30fps, so even a 60Hz display was an upgrade lol
I like your cat.

DiscusInferno

Ready to race!
I think that my 2TB HDD is starting to take a dump. HDDs are slow, but it shouldn't take a 7200rpm HDD over 40 minutes to transfer 4.5GB while constantly hitting 0kB/s transfer speeds. Not only that, but there are files missing from one folder that I know were there. Windows has also started trying to repair this drive on startup.
I ordered a 2TB Adata SU800 SSD, so I'll resolve it this weekend.

Bonus updated photo of rig with big motherfucker cooler (Cryorig H5 Ultimate).

And bonus bonus cat tax.
With that big heatsink & fan setup, are you overclocking the CPU?

torga

Drag Race Newbie
I like your cat.
Thanks, I like her too! Except when she treats the mouse cursor as a toy.

With that big heatsink & fan setup, are you overclocking the CPU?
Not regularly, it was more of a longevity choice. CPU idle temps are in the 28-30C range, browsing the internet hangs out around 35C, and I haven't seen it get above 60C in gaming yet. With the stock cooler, I would see 75-80C in gaming. Also this CPU cooler is much quieter than the stock cooler.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
I would like to build a updated PC for photo editing... haven't decided if I'm going to use integrated graphics or an entry level workstation graphics card.

Definitely don't rely on integrated graphics for photo editing. You'll also want as much RAM as you can afford. Really good price for that WD HDD.

csumt76

Ready to race!
Is newegg still a good place to buy parts? I haven't owned a pc in years. Might need to get another one going. I have two lap tops and the newest is 6 years old.

I've been a "mechanic" of sorts for 15 years and I'd just about do anything to not be a mechanic anymore LOL

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Newegg is still great. SuperBiiz is nice because they don't charge sales tax in a lot of states. I've gotten plenty of stuff from Amazon as well.

torga

Drag Race Newbie
Can anyone recommend a good brand for a PCIe 6+2 Y-Splitter adapter? I've gotten burned with low quality phone charging cables before and definitely don't want to screw around with my PSU/GPU.