GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion
Anyone here build their own PCs? These cars can't be your only expensive hobby :laugh:
I just bought some RAM (Newegg has a 10% off DDR4 sale at the moment) and I got curious if anyone on here has built their own PC.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm working on a new build right now too.

So far I have a Fractal R6 Define case, x4 8gb DDR4 3000mhz cl15 RGB corsair vengeance pro ram, a couple LL140 corsair fans, and an evga supernova 850 watt g+ fully modular psu.

Kinda leaning towards an i7-9700k with a gigabye z390 auros pro wifi mobo. Definitely getting a 1tb m2 nvme ssd.

Haven't decided on a specific gpu but I'm thinking rtx 2070.

I'm undecided on a cooler too. I like the corsair H150i pro, but I started looking into custom water cooling last night...I've never done that before, but I really like the look of the clear pipes and the big reservoirs.

Last edited:

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I've build my own PCs since way back in the Windows 3.0 days. LOL!

I rarely game anymore, but I do a lot of CAD/CAM and Lightroom work.

My current machine has a i7-8700k, MSI Z370 PC PRO, GTX 1070 8GB, EVO 960 M.2 500GB, and 16GB of DDR4 2666 ram stuffed into a Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition case.

I work at NVIDIA and saved up 3 years worth of Gear Store points to buy the 1070. I think I paid $50 out of my pocket for it.

torga

Autocross Champion
Just like Chris, I'm building my PC for mostly CAD/analysis and photo editing work. Still collecting parts - just waiting for sales as they come.
I just bought a 32GB (16GB x2) 3200MHz kit of G.Skill TridentZ RGB RAM today. A couple of weeks ago, I got lucky and snagged a twin fan EVGA 1060 6GB SSC gaming GPU for $160.

Rest of my parts will likely look like this...
CPU: i7-9700K
CPU cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate
Mobo: MSI MPG Z390M mATX
Storage: 970 EVO+ 500GB M.2 NVMe, plus 2 or 3 TB of a HDD for cold storage
PS: EVGA Supernova 550W Modular
Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 25" IPS

I want the case to be small and sleek, so I'm going with a Fractal Design Meshify C Mini with a dark tinted glass. I like aesthetics, so I'm going with a Keychron K1 keyboard.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm undecided on a cooler too. I like the corsair H150i pro, but I started looking into custom water cooling last night...I've never done that before, but I really like the look of the clear pipes and the big reservoirs.

I'll make the liquid cooling call after I have everything built. I don't plan on overclocking much or all the time, so I think I may get away with just a big 'ol 80CFM cooler. But my buddy just finished his rig and the coolant lines look pretty cool.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'll make the liquid cooling call after I have everything built. I don't plan on overclocking much or all the time, so I think I may get away with just a big 'ol 80CFM cooler. But my buddy just finished his rig and the coolant lines look pretty cool.

Yea...I certainly don't need custom cooling, but god damn does it look good. I also have the perfect spot to mount the pump and reservoir. Since there's so much extra room in my case it would make it look not so empty and add a ton of cool aesthetics.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yea...I certainly don't need custom cooling, but god damn does it look good. I also have the perfect spot to mount the pump and reservoir. Since there's so much extra room in my case it would make it look not so empty and add a ton of cool aesthetics.
I'm going for a small mATX build because I don't want tons of free space haha.
I'm not doing "RGB all the things", but my RAM sticks will have RGB that can sync up to the mobo, so that'll be enough of an accent for me. Subtle.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I work in IT, so this has always been a bit of a lingering “hobby” or chore depending on the day. Haven’t built a new box in a while...last one was a mid-range hackintosh that still runs great.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
I've built 5-6 computers within last 5 years.
Im waiting for market to stabilize again until my next upgrade.
Too many advancements now, it was a relatively stabile increase 4 years back.
Especially on the processor side.

I make itx builds more often then not.
Currently running a GTX 1070 with i7 in an alienware x51 R2 case.
External power supply allows it to be very small.

Also made a custom itx case before but it was out of sheet metal and was too heavy aha.

torga

Autocross Champion
I work in IT, so this has always been a bit of a lingering “hobby” or chore depending on the day. Haven’t built a new box in a while...last one was a mid-range hackintosh that still runs great.
My mechanic buddy is the same way. He buys cheap project cars somewhat frequently, but never wants to work on them due to being exhausted from work.

I've built 5-6 computers within last 5 years.
Im waiting for market to stabilize again until my next upgrade.
Too many advancements now, it was a relatively stabile increase 4 years back.
Especially on the processor side.

I make itx builds more often then not.
Currently running a GTX 1070 with i7 in an alienware x51 R2 case.
External power supply allows it to be very small.

Also made a custom itx case before but it was out of sheet metal and was too heavy aha.

That's rad!! Any photos of that custom case? This is my first build, so I'm going with the smallest full featured mATX mid-tower I can find. Just looked up that X51, and damn is it slim.

NewGuy1

Go Kart Champion
That's rad!! Any photos of that custom case? This is my first build, so I'm going with the smallest full featured mATX mid-tower I can find. Just looked up that X51, and damn is it slim.

I cant seem to find one, didn't back up a good portion of photos on my phone before it kicked the bucket a year back. Have some glimpses of the older ones:

Pc1:
pc1.JPG
Pc2:
PC2.PNG
Pc3:
PC3.JPG

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Got into building recently. The rtx card has been great. But its price to performance was a lil disappointing compared to previous gen. But I dont see it needing replacement any time soon

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
My mechanic buddy is the same way. He buys cheap project cars somewhat frequently, but never wants to work on them due to being exhausted from work.

Haha yup. Funny how it works. I somehow become a technical support contact for everyone’s family, friends, & neighbors just because people know I work in IT. Yet that’s not even what I do on a daily basis.

As soon as I leave the office, I turn the switch off. Don’t want to be bothered. Which is why I browse the web from my phone and use a surface pro tablet for everything else. My tower just collects dust.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Just bought a water cooler kit with a reservoir...Way more than I ever thought I would spend on water cooling, but I can't get over the looks. Seemed like a pretty fair price for what it was though, and a 10% off coupon for st pattys day saved me tax and paid for the radiator cleaner.

torga

Autocross Champion
As soon as I leave the office, I turn the switch off. Don’t want to be bothered. Which is why I browse the web from my phone and use a surface pro tablet for everything else. My tower just collects dust.

"Tired of looking at bad screen, can't wait to get home and look at good screen", is how I see it.