GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

torga

Autocross Champion

torga

Autocross Champion
My Logitech mouse just got delivered and I love it; it's awesome.
The clicks and scrolls are really satisfying and the extra buttons and modifiers are super useful!

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
My Logitech mouse just got delivered and I love it; it's awesome.
The clicks and scrolls are really satisfying and the extra buttons and modifiers are super useful!

which one did you get?

I have the g305 and love it to death. wireless "lightspeed", yall have to try it. Literally just as good as wired, impossible to tell even in csgo.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
I just picked up a 500gb ssd for a new linux distro as the drive I have now is soooooo slow. I've been looking around and seems like there is compatability for a good amount of games on linux and it's only getting better. If it gets good enough i'll just ditch windows all together. Also probably switching to AMD products next build as they seem to play a bit better with linux, maybe by then i'll have justification to buy a threadripper.
I just rebuild a datto as a nas with 256gb ssd for boot drive running linux (manjaro/arch /w deepin desktop experience) got x4 2tb spinners in raid 10 as storage. Works well enough has itx mobo /w i5 and 8gb ram. NAS is for storage for my game rig which i built a few years ago. i7, 16gb ram, x2 1tb ssd, Nvidia 1070ti in a atx case corasir graphite 600t.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I just rebuild a datto as a nas with 256gb ssd for boot drive running linux (manjaro/arch /w deepin desktop experience) got x4 2tb spinners in raid 10 as storage. Works well enough has itx mobo /w i5 and 8gb ram. NAS is for storage for my game rig which i built a few years ago. i7, 16gb ram, x2 1tb ssd, Nvidia 1070ti in a atx case corasir graphite 600t.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I want a nas so badly. I want to do freelance web development eventually so that will be a good excuse to get one. Gotta back up that work :iono:. I have been slowly adding space to my gaming pc for a while now. Started off 1TB spinner, then I added a 128ssd for windows 10 boot. Now I have the 500gb coming for linux (Gonna try pop!_os), and the 250gb spinner thats in there i'll use for backups for now. I do have a 1TB external drive hooked up to my raspberry pi and setup as an SMB share that I can get to from all my devices which is nice though.

torga

Autocross Champion
which one did you get?

I have the g305 and love it to death. wireless "lightspeed", yall have to try it. Literally just as good as wired, impossible to tell even in csgo.
MX Master 2S. I wanted a good, wireless productivity mouse that I could use for some gaming and this is checking all my boxes.

torga

Autocross Champion
If anyone needs the deal, Newegg is selling the HP EX950 512GB M.2 drive for $60 today only. It can hit 3500/2200 R/W speeds.

torga

Autocross Champion
Getting so antsy!
I want to buy car parts, but I'm planning on buying my final two PC components next month. I'll be in Dallas for a wedding, so I plan on taking advantage of Microcenter's $50 off for a CPU/mobo bundle.
I'm set on the Ryzen 7 3700X and the ASRock X570M Pro4 mobo. Hopefully they'll have both in stock within a month.

torga

Autocross Champion
My keyboard came in today! The keycaps feel great and the Gateron brown switches are pretty satisfying to type with.

In one week, I'll be buying my CPU and mobo. Then I'll be set to build!

torga

Autocross Champion
Sold my G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz CL 16 kit locally, then picked up a Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL 16 kit.

I purchased the 3200MHz kit when I was set on an Intel build, but I've since committed to AMD and the Zen2 chips can actually utilize 3600MHz/3733MHz RAM.

Took a small hit to sell the old kit, but the new kit was only $35 more than what I sold the old kit for.

torga

Autocross Champion
Was so excited to finally build that I forgot to post photos! Finished on Monday.

Final Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2x16) 3600MHz CL16
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVMe, Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2 NVMe, WD Caviar Black 2 TB 7200rpm HDD, Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 7200rpm HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini mATX
Case Fans: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 140 mm (X2), Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 120 mm (X1)
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell U2518D 25.0" IPS 1440p/60 Hz
Keyboard: Keychron K​2 w/ Gateron browns
Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S (Black)

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Was so excited to finally build that I forgot to post photos! Finished on Monday.

Final Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: ASRock X570M Pro4
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2x16) 3600MHz CL16
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVMe, Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2 NVMe, WD Caviar Black 2 TB 7200rpm HDD, Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 7200rpm HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini mATX
Case Fans: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 140 mm (X2), Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM 120 mm (X1)
PSU: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell U2518D 25.0" IPS 1440p/60 Hz
Keyboard: Keychron K​2 w/ Gateron browns
Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S (Black)

Holy cable management. You'd probably have a stroke if you saw my pc. Looks good

torga

Autocross Champion
Holy cable management. You'd probably have a stroke if you saw my pc. Looks good
Thanks! That was one of my goals. I was waiting until the weekend to finish tidying up the back side of the case. It's not too bad, but definitely not as clean as the front.

torga

Autocross Champion
I think that my 2TB HDD is starting to take a dump. HDDs are slow, but it shouldn't take a 7200rpm HDD over 40 minutes to transfer 4.5GB while constantly hitting 0kB/s transfer speeds. Not only that, but there are files missing from one folder that I know were there. Windows has also started trying to repair this drive on startup.
I ordered a 2TB Adata SU800 SSD, so I'll resolve it this weekend.

Bonus updated photo of rig with big motherfucker cooler (Cryorig H5 Ultimate).

And bonus bonus cat tax.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I built a few PCs for work last week. We've been having issues with the printer in our service area and after not being to get the printer to work on either computer down there I said fuck it and ordered parts for 3 new computers. After I got them all together and everything all set up I think I figured out the problem may have been with the printer, but oh well, they needed new computers down there anyway.

They've all got Ryzen 3 3200Gs, 8gb DDR4 3000 mhz C15 ram, msi b450m pro-m2 v2 mobos, and 500gb m2 nvme ssds, with thermaltake h17 cases. Nothing fancy, but not too bad for a $350ish computer I think. They're a hell of a lot better than the 2 core/2 thread cpu prebuilt computers they were using before.

The first day I had the first computer set up they called me about 4:50, 10 minutes before I go home, to let me know it wasn't printing. I just sat there for a second like, you're fucking with me right?

I gotta say...I need to start looking at amazon reviews when I start having problems because reviews on that printer were all talking about the same problem I've been having. We can go a month with no problems or we can go a day, you never know what's gonna happen. I could never figure out what the problem was or find a real solution to the problem. Sometimes you can just restart the pc and it'll work itself out. Other times I need to mess with the drivers and remove the printer.

What the amazon reviews had pointed out was an inherent problem with the printer. When it's asleep it has an issue waking up, and it happens randomly. If you don't use the printer for more than 60 minutes there's a chance it won't wake up and the next time you go to print the printer will immediately show as offline. As far as I can tell there was only one firmware version that allowed you to disable sleep completely, but I haven't been able to find a download for it. For now I'm just going to see if turning off the printer and the pc and turning them back on will be good enough to fix it. At least now they have a pc with an ssd so restarting only takes a minute.

I feel like most people would say to just order prebuilts from online for a business, but we're just a small company. There's probably about 12 computers here and only 9 of them are worked on daily. I just like knowing I'm only using decent quality parts and not some cheap mobo/psu/ram/case to keep the costs down. Plus they don't have any bloatware from the manufacturer.

In the not too far away future I want to replace the rest of the PCs, but that might not be until spring/summer 2020.