GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PC Building

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Gonna drive myself crazy looking at monitors. I think I've got it narrowed down between the LG 34GN850-B or the AOC CU34G2X. They're pretty far apart on price, so it's like the absolute best 34" ultrawide you can get vs the best budget 34" ultrawide on the market. I really want the LG, but there's also a decent chance I'll end up buying a PS5. I need to upgrade my tv if I get a ps5 though since I'm still using a 1080p tv. The AOC is cheap enough that I could buy that, and the TV I want, and still have leftover cash. I just dunno if the AOC would be good enough.

torga

Autocross Champion
Sounds like the AOC and a 4K TV is your best bet.

What's the spec difference between the AOC and LG? Anything major to lose by going with AOC over LG?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Sounds like the AOC and a 4K TV is your best bet.

What's the spec difference between the AOC and LG? Anything major to lose by going with AOC over LG?

I think it's really just IPS vs VA. I have an IPS monitor now that I like, it's a LG 29" ultrawide, but its 1080p, 60hz. Both the monitors I'm looking at are 3440x1440, curved, 144hz, 1ms. LG is IPS and AOC is VA. I've heard of minor ghosting complaints with the AOC, and IPS is supposed to be able to handle that better. Is it really worth it to get rid of a little ghosting for $550? That's the biggest hurdle I've got right now.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
What do you plan to do with the monitor? I would never buy a monitor that is less than 144hz.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
What do you plan to do with the monitor? I would never buy a monitor that is less than 144hz.

Just gaming, but it's not like I do a ton of gaming throughout the year. It goes in spurts, so I don't play any games for a while, and then I find a game to dump a hundred or a few hundred hours into.

I'll be playing Cyberpunk later this year, but there isn't really anything else major on the horizon, and that isn't until September. I'll probably pick up Horizon Zero Dawn when that gets released on PC. I've played more Path of Exile and Grim Dawn than anything else this year, but those aren't the type of game I'd upgrade a monitor for.

Next game I get will be Ghost of Tsushima though, and that'll just be played on ps4/tv.

Last year I built a computer that could actually handle more than 60 fps at 1440p, but I'm still rocking a 1080p 60hz monitor.

My TV also gets used as a second monitor so it sees a lot of use. Everything I watch on youtube, or any tv series or movie I stream I play on my computer and drag it to my TV.

Last edited:

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
I think it's really just IPS vs VA. I have an IPS monitor now that I like, it's a LG 29" ultrawide, but its 1080p, 60hz. Both the monitors I'm looking at are 3440x1440, curved, 144hz, 1ms. LG is IPS and AOC is VA. I've heard of minor ghosting complaints with the AOC, and IPS is supposed to be able to handle that better. Is it really worth it to get rid of a little ghosting for $550? That's the biggest hurdle I've got right now.

FWIW I have the not-ultrawide LG 850 that people go nuts for, 1440p144, and I love it. Bought a ColorSpyder or whatever it's called to dial in the colors and I think it looks great - but I came from a 1080p TN gaming monitor. I did a lot of reading on panel types and everything I read said VA is comparatively worse with response time and motion blur/ghosting, but better blacks. I pretty much only play shooters so I went IPS.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
FWIW I have the not-ultrawide LG 850 that people go nuts for, 1440p144, and I love it. Bought a ColorSpyder or whatever it's called to dial in the colors and I think it looks great - but I came from a 1080p TN gaming monitor. I did a lot of reading on panel types and everything I read said VA is comparatively worse with response time and motion blur/ghosting, but better blacks. I pretty much only play shooters so I went IPS.

Yea, that's the problem I'm having. I've read the same or I would have pulled the trigger on the AOC already. I actually did order it once and then cancelled the order within about 5 minutes.

I have an IPS now, so even though it's only 1080p and 60hz I don't have any issues with ghosting. I want the monitor to be an upgrade all around, and I feel like VA would be a downgrade.

Amazon sent me a promo thing...I've been reluctant to use it, but maybe I will. I could do 18 months equal payments with 0% apr. It's just kinda weird that they charge your card for the full amount and then you pay off the card over 18 months. I'd have it paid off much sooner than that though.

torga

Autocross Champion
So yesterday, I got blinking LEDs at my GPU's power ports (receiving abnormal power) and within 15 minutes, my PC just shut itself off. I rebooted successfully a few times, but it would shut itself off within a few minutes each time. Figured it was a wonky power supply. I guess that's what I get for running a 225W GPU off of a single 8-pin PCI-e port. This was a Corsair RM550x.
I ordered a Seasonic Focus PX-750 this morning and it got delivered a few hours ago (hooray, same day shipping). Popped the beefier PSU in and it's like nothing ever happened. I tested the 550W PSU with a mobo cable jumper and the fan came right on, no hesitation. It might be perfectly fine, I was just overstressing it.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Finally ended up ordering a monitor. Thought I had it narrowed down to the LG 34GN850-B, but I ended up ordering the Alienware AW3420DW for a couple reasons. Everybody has only good things to say about Dell warranties and the AW comes with a 3 year warranty, and the AW also has native g-sync while the LG is g-sync compatible. I have heard the picture on the LG is a little bit better, but I've also read comments from people that had their monitor die or had problems with it very early and LG denied their warranty. If I'm gonna spend that much I want to know any problems will be taken care of.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at getting a new monitor myself. I've got a Dell U2518D (1440p/60Hz), which I'm totally happy with for everything other than gaming. It was fine when I had a 1060 and wasn't consistently getting 60FPS. Now that I've been running a 2070 Super, I'm limited by the monitor and I get some pretty bad screen tearing in more demanding games. Need something that's 1440p/144Hz with GSync so I can enjoy the performance. Also have a laundry list for ~27", 10-bit color (8-bit FRC), IPS panel, and not ugly (really, just nice/clean/minimal bezels). So that limits my pool.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at getting a new monitor myself. I've got a Dell U2518D (1440p/60Hz), which I'm totally happy with for everything other than gaming. It was fine when I had a 1060 and wasn't consistently getting 60FPS. Now that I've been running a 2070 Super, I'm limited by the monitor and I get some pretty bad screen tearing in more demanding games. Need something that's 1440p/144Hz with GSync so I can enjoy the performance. Also have a laundry list for ~27", 10-bit color (8-bit FRC), IPS panel, and not ugly (really, just nice/clean/minimal bezels). So that limits my pool.

Not sure of everything available in that size. I've only been looking at 34" ultrawide monitors. This one doesn't look bad though - https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...onitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section
If you sign up for the dell email subscription they'll send you a 10% off coupon and if you sign up for rewards you'll get free expedited shipping.

torga

Autocross Champion
Not sure of everything available in that size. I've only been looking at 34" ultrawide monitors. This one doesn't look bad though - https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...onitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section
If you sign up for the dell email subscription they'll send you a 10% off coupon and if you sign up for rewards you'll get free expedited shipping.
On first glance, that one looks like an excellent contender. Gonna add it to my comparison list, thanks!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So I didn't build this but did pick it up today. Dell R620 with 2xE5-2650v2 (8c, 16t) and 128GB of memory. Don't have any drives for it yet but probably gonna do a 128gb ssd I had laying around from my laptop, then 3x~1TB SSDs for vm storage in some sort of raid configuration. The main things i'll be running is a jellyfin server, home assistant, and a few websites i'm currently hosting on a mac mini. I'm sure i'll find some more stuff to host down the road as well.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I got a leak! Seems like my reservoir is cracked in multiple spots at the bottom where the threads are. It started leaking in the last couple weeks until it started to get a little more serious this weekend. Luckily it's not leaking on top of anything except my desk, none of the electronics are at risk. I've got a new reservoir on order and figured I'd try some blue fluid at the same time. Hopefully it gets here before I need to top it off. I tried wrapping some plumbers tape around the base of it last night, that might slow it down enough until the new part gets here.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
This is how it sat this morning. Part is out for delivery today so I should be alright.
1618418167147.png

You can see some cracks on the front side, but I'm pretty sure there's some bigger cracks on the backside causing the issue.
1618418238493.png