GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Picked up 2022 GTI, I think I might miss my 2017!

josephvman

I took delivery of the first 2022 GTI, Autobahn model, my local dealer received last night, and traded my 2017 GTI. I've put fewer than 20 miles on the new car, but here are a few things that I'm already missing or I don't like about the new car:

1. Interior storage! The MK8 doesn't have the slide out storage under the driver seat, which was a very useful to me. There is no way to conceal the center front console area with the USB ports. In my MK7 I left my Airpods plugged in there, where they would always be charged and hidden.

2. Materials. Lots of hard plastic on the MK8, and it's everywhere! Materials are definitely a cut below and there's a level of cheapness that the MK7 didn't have. Window switches no longer feel like Audi/Porsche quality. Doors don't close with the same level of solidity.

3. Seats! The seats simply aren't as comfortable to me. I liked the long bottom cushion on the MK7 GTI seats, as I'm long from hip to knee. The leather was not a strong suit on the MK7, but the MK8 is decidedly cheaper-feeling and I can't see it wearing welI. Ventilated seats are nice though (I'm in Houston), and the only reason I chose leather over cloth.

4. Knobs! The touchscreen and touch controls on the steering wheel aren't horrible, and nowhere near as laggy as some of the reviews have indicated, but there are still some things that should be knobs. I mean, a single volume knob somewhere on the console that you could push to mute would be extremely useful.

5. The H/K stereo isn't bad, but the Fender system in the MK7 was really a fantastic factory stereo system. A bit of a letdown.

Performance seems about the same, and my stock MK7 might have been a bit snappier because it was broken in. The manual gearbox is a bit notchier, and maybe that will get better over time. It doesn't "suck" the lever into the next gear nearly the same way as the MK7 did.

The interior/exterior lighting is really good on the new car. I like the wheels on my Autobahn, and the styling just has bit more edge to it. My car is the launch yellow, which is actually much more green, and it has a lot of pop. My last one was white and I didn't want to feel like I was getting into the same car, and none of the other colors grabbed me.

This might be short-term ownership if the R interior feels significantly better and I decide to trade up. An Audi S3 is also on the table if these admittedly nitpicking issues prove to be an irritation.

If you're considering going from a MK7 to a MK8, I'd try to spend a bit of time with the new car before you jump in. I was just ready for something new, and I can't say that it was a mistake, but first impressions mean a lot.

FYI, this morning the stereo didn't work and I had to reboot the car a couple of times before I got audio.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The mk8 is by all accounts a step down in the interior quality stakes. The mk8 R‘s interior is essentially the same as the GTI’s, apart from the design of cloth seat covering, and the GTI’s red accents being replaced with the R’s signature blue accents. Having said that, the latest Audi A3 / S3 are also reputed to suffer from a poorer quality interior. In addition to the items you've listed, the mk8 has to make do with a manual bonnet / hood prop rather than a gas strut.

It’s worth noting that quite a few UK mk8 GTI and R owners over on golfgtiforum.co.uk and vwroc.com forums have experienced more than their fair share of software gremlins. It’s been suggested that VW should be releasing a major software update to fix most (if not all) of these gremlins before the end of the year. Hopefully your non-fun functioning stereo was a one-off and not a sign of things to come - I can remember the infotainment units in early mk7 Golfs being temperamental in cold weather (around freezing point) although that’s probably not an issue in Texas.

Enjoy your new car.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I had a 2017 Golf Mk7 GTi Performance which I replaced with a Mk8 GTE just over a year ago. Rather than list the things I like about my Mk8 I will list the things I DON’T like.
Wish it had knobs for volume and temperature.
Miss the sliding cover on the storage area in the centre console.
Had a few software issues.
Err. err. struggling now.
That’s about it! Puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Vast improvement over the Mk7 (in my humble opinion).