GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Planning a road trip from LA to Jackson Hole, Wyoming....how does the GTI fare in Winter?

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm debating to drive my 2018 GTI Autobahn stage 2 up to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and worried that it might suck too much with FWD in winter conditions. I love driving my GTI, any feedback is appreciated. I know some will say get an R. My current options are my GTI or my girlfriend's 2014 Subaru Outback.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Get performance winter or snow tires and you'll be just fine, especially since your car has the VAQ diff. Just don't try to drive through snow that's higher than your hood

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Definitely snow tires for this time of year. And chains just in case.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
It snowed here last night.

I got to drive on very wet, very cold roads this morning on my ready to be replaced extreme contacts. Almost understeered off the road on the first left turn out of my neighborhood.

Had to go very easy. Yes... easy... gentle... pucker. But I made it to work.

tarheelbob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
I get it, I do, wanting to drive your "fun" car. But, Jackson Hole in winter screams "take the Outback!", to me. The Subaru is comfortable, spacious, and is a freaking mountain goat when the going gets slippery. Save yourself the cost of getting winter tires for the trip, and take the Subaru. Just my .02 worth.

- Bob

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Winter tires made a world of difference in the snow and it would be fun to take the GTI but I agree with Bob, take the Outback. That was literally built for winter weather.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
When is this trip taking place? Which route are you planning? I would not cut over from Salt Lake City and go through Evanston WY this time of year. Maybe stay on I-15 then hook around Idaho Falls, or I-15 through through Soda Springs. I live in Idaho Falls, and there's several GTI's cruising around, some with snow tires, some without. Even your Outback with shitty tires will suck. You won't be the designated snow plow, but roads are still icy and can be snow packed in places.

That will determine a lot.

This is my place in Island Park, ID, just west of Jackson, WY.
IMG_0382.JPG

jeffkro

Go Kart Champion
I went from a Tacoma pre-runner with no stability control and 5 year old all seasons to my GTI and what a huge improvement in the snow. So for me I would say a GTI works great for winter driving, but I've never driven a Subaru. The biggest issue I've had is the low profile tires aren't great for winter potholes and the roughness of ice covered roads. You will see the long thread on winter wheel setups. Honestly though, I would probably take the Subaru.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
What Bob said. Unless there is a problem with Subie (or using it) the fun of GTI may very well be lost in those conditions.

Mud

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Snow tires. Even on the Subie. Snow tires, not all seasons, not summer tires. Otherwise fly there.

gdub09

Ready to race!
I've run Blizzaks on my MK5, MK6, & MK7 GTI and I've never come close to having an issue. Just turn off traction control and you're fine. We got 15 inches of snow the other day and I had no problem getting around.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had snow tires on my GTI when it was the only vehicle in our household and i had no issues in any of MI snowstorms.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'm debating to drive my 2018 GTI Autobahn stage 2 up to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and worried that it might suck too much with FWD in winter conditions. I love driving my GTI, any feedback is appreciated. I know some will say get an R. My current options are my GTI or my girlfriend's 2014 Subaru Outback.
I just re-read OP.......he want's an R and none of us are encouraging him. Shame on all of us. Hell Yeah! get an R because it's safer!