GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Podcast Discussion / Recommendation Thread

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I started listening to iTunes U(unversity) shit a few years back, mostly for debates and other "intellectual" stuff, but never really dived into podcasts... yep, late to the party.

But now I have, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. So far, my main ones I've been into are:

The Joe Rogan Experience - good, long as hell (on average like 3hrs long), and the first 10mins are ad promo's that you have to fast fwd through. Currently, listening to an episode he did with Matt Farah and its pretty good.

The Nerdist - Chris Hardwick, he's alright. Good / great guests, good questions, etc. Recently listened to one he did with Tom Morello from RATM (he's from IL) and next up is an episode with Dave Grohl.

Real Time w/ Bill Maher - cancelled HBO on tv, so this is perfect and free.

And a few other political / philosophical ones.

I am probably going to start d/l'ing some of the NPR Wait wait don't tell me's, as well.

so yeah, what podcasts to you listen to/recommend?

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Startalk with Neil Tyson, then I have the big ones from ESPN; Mike and Mike, Cowherd, Kornheiser, SVP, and Pardon the Interruption. Not really a first take fan but I do love Steve Smith doing his white person voice.

Sent from my iPhone 5s - the world's greatest smartphone - so I am clearly better than you and whatever pitiful excuse for a communications device you use.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
oh yeah, forgot that I need to get StarTalk stuff. thanks!

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
The Nerdist guys are guests on Startalk from time to time. I really like Eugene Mirman, his regular comedic cohost who is not only genuinely funny but has actually learned some science along the way.

Sent from my iPhone 5s - the world's greatest smartphone - so I am clearly better than you and whatever pitiful excuse for a communications device you use.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Tony Kornheiser's podcast is hilarious btw, I'm standing here in Target with headphones while they're discussing the fake sign language interpreter at Mandela's ceremony and cracking up. Two large women buying Cheetos and Diet Coke are looking at me.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I wish Louis CK did a podcast.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
CarCast is another one by Adam Carolla thats good. Focus on racing but still a lot of everyday car talk.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Thread Resurrection Time!

What's everyone listening to? Since I've been working from home I like to have a podcast playing in the background. Looking for recommendations on which ones I should add.

Here's what's on my subscribed list that I've been listening to:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (also the hardcore history addendum show and Dan's common sense show)
A History of the World in 100 Objects
The Martyrmade Podcast
History on Fire
Last Podcast on the Left
Aaron Mahnke's Cabinet of Curiosities
EconTalk
This American Life
Part-Time Genius
Revisionist History
Lore
The Frontline Dispatch
The Indicator from Planet Money
50 Things that Made the Modern Economy
Philosophize This!
The History of Rome
Our Fake History

riceburner

Autocross Champion
i'm into most of the same stuff as the OP.

Some top people i enjoy pretty much 100% of the time whenever they pop on:
Daniel Schmactenberger - probably the most well versed person i've ever heard, able to communicate very big broad ideas that make you think 'how did i never put the pieces together like this before?' - deals primarily with existential level threats and sensemaking. Appears with Tristan Harris from time to time (another great one to listen to) who developed 'the social dilemma'
Sam Harris - runs his own podcast called 'waking up' and now, 'making sense'. Used to be known for his debates against religiosity (which are among the best i've ever found) but now deals with a very broad range of topics; i would say his primary objectives are to define consciousness, but also deals alot with big-picture topics
Jordan Peterson - runs his own podcast, kind of like Sam but a very university oriented canadian fellow; though i don't always see perfectly eye to eye with him he is a brilliant communicator, and helps put much about human psychology into context. Infact i'm listening to him right now
Nate Higgens runs his own podcast and deals alot with climate and socioeconomic topics. Another great communicator with fresh, non-'playing the field' type views.
One of my other current favs is lex fridman; he's mostly interested in artificial intelligence but deals with anyone willing to come in, typically the guests are incredible. Very wide range of topics, and Lex always knows how to ask great questions.
I'm not a liberal though a lot of the above probably land center or left of center (if you had to plot them on a spectrum, though it certainly none of their aim) short of Jordan Peterson; i haven't found many great thinkers that lean more right lately. I always aim to keep a very open mind and keep biases at bay. Tim Pool was cool for a while but kinda fell off my radar and he's hard to keep up with.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Thread Resurrection Time!

What's everyone listening to? Since I've been working from home I like to have a podcast playing in the background. Looking for recommendations on which ones I should add.

Here's what's on my subscribed list that I've been listening to:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (also the hardcore history addendum show and Dan's common sense show)
A History of the World in 100 Objects
The Martyrmade Podcast
History on Fire
Last Podcast on the Left
Aaron Mahnke's Cabinet of Curiosities
EconTalk
This American Life
Part-Time Genius
Revisionist History
Lore
The Frontline Dispatch
The Indicator from Planet Money
50 Things that Made the Modern Economy
Philosophize This!

The History of Rome
Our Fake History

Cool list, think you could link me to one or two of your fav's from the boldened ones?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Not a podcast, but if I'm listening to something while working, it's usually lofi hip hop beats girl