GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Poor build quality

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
My car is coming up to 15000 miles now and has developed a number of annoying creaks, the rear seat back rest started creaking but I fixed that by greasing the latches, both my front door frames are creaking against the body when going over speed bumps the centre console trim creaks depending on whether the sun has been out it also creaks to the prod of a finger around the gear stick base going up to the wireless charging pad, the front door handle creaks when holding it to open or close I think this is coming from the plastic surround on the electric window/mirror switches again it creaks if prodded with a finger and there are intermittent buzzes coming from the dash and the emergency SOS area on the headlining. It's my first Volkswagen and will probably be my last, the quality is somewhat underwhelming to say the least!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’m on my fifth VW and I’d say that build quality has certainly deteriorated over the years. My first VW back in 2002 was the best built by far - a mk4 Golf. It wasn’t the most dynamic car, but it felt premium compared to other manufacturers‘ offerings at the time. Of the five VW’s I’ve owned, I‘ve had panel gap issues with three of them and a paint defect with one. It does make you question how good VW’s QC process is at the end of the production line in the factory.

With my current car, I have uneven panel gaps between the bottom of the A pillar and the top of the wing when you compare the two sides of the car. Correcting those uneven gaps would create uneven panel gaps elsewhere, so I just live with it and don’t really notice it now. I did consider rejection, but VW stopped producing my model of car for the UK market so getting a replacement of the same model wouldn’t have been possible, plus there‘d have been the wait time too. Also, there wasn’t really anything else on the market I wanted at the time. I did wonder if my car had been damaged in transit from the factory (not uncommon) but I’ve taken paint depth readings all over the car and the paint coverage is uniform, so there’s no sign of paint / body repairs.

It‘ll probably be my last VW.

Creaks in a car’s interior trim can be very annoying, and tracking them down can be difficult. With your creaking door frames, it’s quite a common issue (I’ve had it on two of my VW’s); do a Google search on ‘VW creaking door seals’. I’d say the door seals have probably dried out - often caused by car washing products. Using a product such as Gummi pflege every so often to lubricate the seals is likely to cure the creaking. VW have their own product to lubricate seals called Krytox; it’s very expensive but the effects are meant to last longer than they do when using some of the cheaper alternatives.

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
Same here. There are number of creaking noises that appear, mainly on a sunny hot days. The most annoying ones come from the centre console: charging pad, trims next to the USB ports in the front and a creaking sound from the base of the arm rest somewhere. As to the door frame - I use bmw's Gummi Pflege at least once a month to keep the rubber sealing conditioned and it works. There is also an annoying sound when opening drivers door, coming from the piano black trim on the outside of the central pillar. My car is 10 000 km, so I'm not happy with the built quality either.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
My centre arm rest also creaks depending on how warm the interior gets and yes the exterior piano black door trim on the B post also creaks to the touch and the driver side door mirror has started to creak when unfolding itself upon door unlock. I have had cars with well over 100000 miles on the clock in the past with far less creaks! God knows how bad the Golf would be by then. Thankfully my ownership will up long before then.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Which Krytox oil is used for the door seals? I need to get some for mine as all 4 doors are creaking against the body shell now. All the rest of the creaks have been fixed by the dealer now including a new centre console to fix a buzzing pop out cup holder.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Which Krytox oil is used for the door seals? I need to get some for mine as all 4 doors are creaking against the body shell now. All the rest of the creaks have been fixed by the dealer now including a new centre console to fix a buzzing pop out cup holder.
This is the stuff;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373734175618?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338364432&toolid=11000&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1_5Lu_bg9TmyHUiHCkEn_Qw62&customid=EAIaIQobChMImeO7qJTy-gIVVOvtCh2NqAqsEAQYAyABEgKiMPD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeO7qJTy-gIVVOvtCh2NqAqsEAQYAyABEgKiMPD_BwE

It’s expensive (£15.25 for 10ml at the link above) and I’ve not personally used it so can’t vouch for how good or effective it is, but forum members on some other forums rate it highly. It’s available in different sizes, so you could always buy a small size to see how it goes - apparently, a little goes a long way and the effects last a long time.

The alternative would be to use something like Gummi Pflege (£5.90 for 100ml at the link below) much cheaper but the effects aren’t meant to be as long lasting as Krytox. I’ve used Gummi Pflege and it was fine. Bought mine over ten years ago and still have loads left (can’t remember reapplying it more frequently than 9-12 monthly intervals - might even be less frequent than that).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155210566466?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=241791&meid=b06ed6c068894706b5c76dd0e8e036d4&pid=101113&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=265786679197&itm=155210566466&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2563228&algv=DefaultOrganic&brand=Nextzett&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2109

The products at the links above might not be the cheapest available, so worth doing some research so you don’t pay more than you need to.

If you use one of the many hand car wash places to get your car washed, bear in mind that they often use harsh cleaning products that can reduce the effectiveness of these rubber lubricant products, so that could affect how often you need to reapply them.

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
This is the stuff;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373734175618?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338364432&toolid=11000&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1_5Lu_bg9TmyHUiHCkEn_Qw62&customid=EAIaIQobChMImeO7qJTy-gIVVOvtCh2NqAqsEAQYAyABEgKiMPD_BwE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeO7qJTy-gIVVOvtCh2NqAqsEAQYAyABEgKiMPD_BwE

It’s expensive (£15.25 for 10ml at the link above) and I’ve not personally used it so can’t vouch for how good or effective it is, but forum members on some other forums rate it highly. It’s available in different sizes, so you could always buy a small size to see how it goes - apparently, a little goes a long way and the effects last a long time.

The alternative would be to use something like Gummi Pflege (£5.90 for 100ml at the link below) much cheaper but the effects aren’t meant to be as long lasting as Krytox. I’ve used Gummi Pflege and it was fine. Bought mine over ten years ago and still have loads left (can’t remember reapplying it more frequently than 9-12 monthly intervals - might even be less frequent than that).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155210566466?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=241791&meid=b06ed6c068894706b5c76dd0e8e036d4&pid=101113&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=265786679197&itm=155210566466&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2563228&algv=DefaultOrganic&brand=Nextzett&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2109

The products at the links above might not be the cheapest available, so worth doing some research so you don’t pay more than you need to.

If you use one of the many hand car wash places to get your car washed, bear in mind that they often use harsh cleaning products that can reduce the effectiveness of these rubber lubricant products, so that could affect how often you need to reapply them.
Thanks for the reply I'll be ordering some of the Krytox even though it's expensive it will be worth it if it works as well as its meant to, the last car I owned with doors rubbing against the body this bad was a 1995 Citroen Xantia!

Topaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Only noise I have encountered is a rattle from the driver's side window also the horrible creaking and groaning sound when reversing auto hold coming on then selecting drive.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I had a VW Eos and I can confirm the Krytox cured seriously noisy creaking roof panel rubbers, totally. Expensive but excellent product. Still use it occasionally on my Golf door rubbers.

Cisco Kid

Ready to race!
…still very solid. Had a conversation with a dealership guy a month ago, and he said his MK8 is fantastic. However, good luck in finding one to buy- big shortage.

amsr

Ready to race!
My MK7 has been pretty disappointing with respect to build quality. Lots of little creaks and rattles, weird body/trim issues, issues with the headlights, and then of course the sunroof issues. The engine has been really quite good, with the exception of the water pump/thermostat issue. I feel like if they put 10% more effort into the fit/finish it would go a long way.

Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My MK7 has been pretty disappointing with respect to build quality. Lots of little creaks and rattles, weird body/trim issues, and then of course the sunroof issues
In the UK, VW used to have a reputation for very good build quality - better than that of its mainstream competitors. Sadly, I think VW’s ‘legendary German build quality’ - if it ever was a thing - is very much thing of the past.

Comparing the build quality of my VW with my brother’s car (a Vauxhall; Vauxhall were previously owned by GM, now owned by Stellantis Group), I‘d say that the build quality of his car is better than mine; more uniform shut lines and panel gaps, doors shut with a more solid sounding ‘clunk’, interior trim looks and feels better quality, complete absence of creaks and rattles and it was 100% fault free when he took delivery - something I can’t say for my VW. Vauxhall‘s cars often get slated on other VW / VAG forums. That might have been justified 20-25 years ago, but not now IMHO. Their direct competitor for the Golf is the Astra, and the current generation of that car is a fine looking vehicle IMHO.