GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Punks not dead

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I have his split with Frank Turner from the old Suburban Home records days. not really a huge fan but definitely a good singer/songwriter.
That's another thing that I didn't know existed. I like Frank Turner. Tim Barry has some gems, I wouldn't say it's all good, but he's got a few great songs.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
That's another thing that I didn't know existed. I like Frank Turner. Tim Barry has some gems, I wouldn't say it's all good, but he's got a few great songs.
For sure. I'd say the same for the solo efforts from Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music), Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem), and Nick 13 (Tiger Army).

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
For sure. I'd say the same for the solo efforts from Chuck Ragan (Hot Water Music), Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem), and Nick 13 (Tiger Army).
I'm a fan of Chuck Ragan, and Brian Fallon, I've seen them both live, Brian Fallon with the Gaslight Anthem, and solo. I don't really know anything about Tiger Army or Nick 13, I'll add them to my list to check out.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I miss Gaslight Anthem. I do enjoy a lot of Brian Fallon's solo work, but Gaslight did it more for me.

I must say though, his new album Local Honey is nice to fall asleep to. In a good way.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Was listening to offspring smash today.

In rotation: nofx, face to face, ten foot pole, old Green Day (kerplunk), no use for name, tilt, rancid (White album and out come the wolves), propaghandi, operation ivy, flogging molly, dropkick murphys, fugazi bad religion, suicidal tendencies, social distortion, me first and the gimmie gimmies, pennywise, old mxpx, old sum 41, etc

I grew up in the bay area and saw a pile of shows back in the 80s and 90s. Too many to list.

Highlights...

NUFAN did a show where the proceeds went to my friend’s memorial fund after his death.

Was there when Fat Mike puked on stage... you know, that one time.

At the end of each show, Flogging Molly’s drummer throws his autographed set sticks into the crowd. I have one of the two from their set in Tokyo’s Punk Spring ‘08.

Saw a couple mentions of Face to Face.. their live album is one of the best albums to rip up a mountain pass to.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
This thread reminds me of a song.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I miss Gaslight Anthem. I do enjoy a lot of Brian Fallon's solo work, but Gaslight did it more for me.

I must say though, his new album Local Honey is nice to fall asleep to. In a good way.
The '59 Sound is one of my top 10 favorite albums (top 10 for me is pretty high up there). I like Fallon's Sleepwalkers album, but haven't listened to Local Honey yet, that must have just come out.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
The '59 Sound is one of my top 10 favorite albums (top 10 for me is pretty high up there). I like Fallon's Sleepwalkers album, but haven't listened to Local Honey yet, that must have just come out.
I think last Friday it came out. It's a very chill album with great lyrics. Picture Brian Fallon on a bunch of Xanax. I miss the old band.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I still love the Sparkle and Fade album by Everclear. It makes me feel like a shitty person, but it makes me kinda sad that Art Alexakis got clean.

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
65 here. I stopped listening to Punk about 20 years ago. Since then, what the labels call Punk is just the same packeged crap as modern country and pop. "Let's get a focus group to suggest changes to each song before releasing it. We want to appeal to the widest audience possible and not offend anyone."

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
65 here. I stopped listening to Punk about 20 years ago. Since then, what the labels call Punk is just the same packeged crap as modern country and pop. "Let's get a focus group to suggest changes to each song before releasing it. We want to appeal to the widest audience possible and not offend anyone."
what do you listen to now? anything new or just stuff from the past?

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Insert literally any genre into that statement and it'll be true.

Music hasn't gotten worse over the years, I'd say it's even gotten better. However, due to how easy it is to produce music these days, there is a lot more junk you have to sift through in order to find the good stuff. If you rely on the radio to find music you like, you're never going to find anything besides corporate backed artists that the labels are pushing. This isn't new either, there is a ton of "classic rock" that isn't very good, it's survived because it was popular enough in it's day (pushed by record labels) that even now it's familiar. People can overlook bad music as long as they recognize it, and can sing a long to the chorus.

The solution is simple, don't rely on the radio for finding good music.

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
Insert literally any genre into that statement and it'll be true.

Music hasn't gotten worse over the years, I'd say it's even gotten better. However, due to how easy it is to produce music these days, there is a lot more junk you have to sift through in order to find the good stuff. If you rely on the radio to find music you like, you're never going to find anything besides corporate backed artists that the labels are pushing. This isn't new either, there is a ton of "classic rock" that isn't very good, it's survived because it was popular enough in it's day (pushed by record labels) that even now it's familiar. People can overlook bad music as long as they recognize it, and can sing a long to the chorus.

The solution is simple, don't rely on the radio for finding good music.
Sometimes you just need to "Shake it off." 🤣

Completely agree with you about music actually getting better. With Soundcloud (I'm still not sure what that actually is) YouTube and social media in general, pretty much anyone can release music. I should consider that next time I have too much whiskey and start playing my Irish Penny Flute. I can play a mean X-Files theme and Candle in the wind from Titanic.

Newer bands like Brian Fallon, Gaslight Anthem, Carina Round, Puscifer, Gin Wigmore and Tiger Army have really surprised me lately. Artists that are still constantly cranking out great music more often than a corporately backed "artist."

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Sometimes you just need to "Shake it off." 🤣

Completely agree with you about music actually getting better. With Soundcloud (I'm still not sure what that actually is) YouTube and social media in general, pretty much anyone can release music. I should consider that next time I have too much whiskey and start playing my Irish Penny Flute. I can play a mean X-Files theme and Candle in the wind from Titanic.

Newer bands like Brian Fallon, Gaslight Anthem, Carina Round, Puscifer, Gin Wigmore and Tiger Army have really surprised me lately. Artists that are still constantly cranking out great music more often than a corporately backed "artist."
You nailed it with the internet being such an amazing forum for new bands, there's so much out there it's impossible to keep up.

I'm sure most people can agree that albums from their formative years will always mean more to them and are kept in a constant rotation, but I find I refreshing to come across new talented young bands. I tend to keep up with the hardcore scene more so than traditional punk, and there are so many amazing new bands, it's awesome.

Although I have to say I think "new" must be a relative term, Tiger Army's first EP came out over 20 years ago, and TGA almost 15 years ago 😂