GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
The ol’ kraut is alive again with a used OEM Euro intake manifold and the newly-revised PCV system from the B9 A4/A5! With all known issues fixed at this point, standby for either epicness soon, or more problems to unfold [emoji2373]

The new revision PCV (which VW doesn’t state to fit the GTI/R) is supposed to solve the oil surge issue, which is the whole reason I got a catch can in the first place. I’ve been told they perform well at high boost as well. We will see!

With the new PCV on I couldn’t help but notice that the engine bay took on a patriotic red, white, and blue theme, just in time for Independence Day yesterday. Happy 4th, fellow ‘Muricans!!
[emoji631][emoji631][emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Wastegate issue still happening at the top of 4th. Well, EPC is anyway. The issue is actually still happening across all gears at the top of the gear. WG isn't able to shut to keep boost up. Yayyyyyyy

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Fab guy coming by later this week to make more changes to the arm as recommended by WY2SL0. Fingers crossed.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
The PR inserts are junk. The CTS ones or euro manifold definitely the way to go. I'm staring at the rail serts now and there's no way that knurling is aggressive enough.

Queb I've had about the same luck as you with this platform so your persistence is extremely encouraging.

This platform is one of the ONLY I know of tuning that does not widely disable or desensitized the knock sensors when pushing big boost. I wonder how much power is being left on the table when it comes to BT maestro tuning by using the stock knock sensitivity data instead of slightly turning them down (without fully disabling them). I think this is something that needs a lot more attention and research as we're about to start the springs/tbb dbv2 on this car and it would be nice if you could adjust those.

Does anybody in here happen to know if the newer GTIs (2018) have the revised pcv or is it only found on Audi?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
This platform is one of the ONLY I know of tuning that does not widely disable or desensitized the knock sensors when pushing big boost. I wonder how much power is being left on the table when it comes to BT maestro tuning by using the stock knock sensitivity data instead of slightly turning them down (without fully disabling them). I think this is something that needs a lot more attention and research as we're about to start the springs/tbb dbv2 on this car and it would be nice if you could adjust those.

Does anybody in here happen to know if the newer GTIs (2018) have the revised pcv or is it only found on Audi?

That's a good point Twist, who knows. I assume UM probably does it right. Hell, they better for as much as they cost. I've been considering making the switch off and on, but would have to drive 6 hours round trip to make it happen. That, along with it being 10x more expensive to tune, has kept me on Maestro for now. If Chris didn't fix that torque limit issue for me then I would've bailed 100%.

Mine came with the newer style pcv but have not removed it to check pn(dlba engine).

Chris, how do you know if it's the newer-style if it hasn't been removed? They look identical from the top as far as I can tell.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
That's a good point Twist, who knows. I assume UM probably does it right. Hell, they better for as much as they cost. I've been considering making the switch off and on, but would have to drive 6 hours round trip to make it happen. That, along with it being 10x more expensive to tune, has kept me on Maestro for now. If Chris didn't fix that torque limit issue for me then I would've bailed 100%.

Chris, how do you know if it's the newer-style if it hasn't been removed? They look identical from the top as far as I can tell.

Having tried UM twice now, is20 and is38 I'd advise staying with maestro ;)

Itll all settle in and be worth it in the next couple weeks mark my words :) Gonna all be worth it soon you're on the home stretch

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Is it alive?

Nope... The mobile fab guy that originally reached out to me was just too damn busy. Or didn't care enough. I ended up pulling the turbo back out last week and taking it to the absolute best fab shop I could find in the area. I dropped it off Friday, spoke with him more yesterday, and confirmed with him the issue and proposed solution.

He completely agrees that the current angle of the arm to the actuator is shit. It's going to take another complete refab and $$$ to get it done right. Hopefully I will have the turbo back this week. I DO have confidence that these guys will get it done absolutely right.

Assuming it works, I will be having a discussion with the shop in CT for their crap job. I don't really expect anything productive to come out of it, and I doubt I get any money back. But, it's worth a shot.

The more I understand the issue, the more "how the fk would you think that would help" I feel toward the previous shop (and myself... but they're supposed to know what they're doing... that's why I shipped it!) So... yeah.

With a little luck I'll be running again this weekend.

The angle they gave me is absolute shit:

Can you tell I'm a little frustrated? :)