GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Innovative Motorsports. They were recommended to me by a guy that had his EFR done there, and it works for him. They also work with UM. I had every reason to believe that if anyone was going to do it right, it would be them, as they've done several others, which allegedly all work.

I should also note that, as far as I know, all these people are tuned by UM. So there's no telling if UM is turning boost down to compensate for the electronic WG.... but that would be kind of silly IMO. Or maybe UM is tuning the WG better.

I'm not sure why I'm having so many issues getting mine going, but maybe it has to do with my ported head / more airflow? Regardless, the angle they put my arm at is absolutely not helping. I mean, the angle is really, really bad. Think about my picture above in the closed position, how bad that angle is for leverage... now imagine it halfway open and trying to close under 35lbs of boost... No way. Not only is the actuator fighting the bigger flap ('cause twinscroll) and high boost, but now it's fighting the WG arm itself because of the angle. It makes sense, right?

But, I should reserve my judgement for the previous shop until after I see if this latest fab work solves the issue or not, lol.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
damn, I remember when you were hoping the car would be ready for this season. I guess there is always next season lol

Depressing AF, right? Fortunately we’ll have track days all the way into November so I still have a chance.

Brief update, new fab guys broke my actuator (lol) and are having to buy a new one. Everything else is basically ready. Hopefully it comes in by Friday and I can get the turbo for the weekend.

Here’s something of what it will look like:

Changes from these pics will include making the angle between the arm and actuator rod 90° when halfway open, making it to where I can tighten and loosen the rod for setting acknowledgment, and the extra stainless steel extending toward the back of the engine will be cut down of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Enough room to get the nut on the mounting stud with that arm in the way?

Yeah that extra stainless beyond the pivot will be cut down, this was just him kind of holding everything in place and seeing what I thought. This should eliminate any binding issues, which he said was likely a big part of why I was having an issue in the first place. I left him a nut and bolt there with the turbo so he can check clearance and all that.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Well fellas, 4th time is the charm maybe? Picked her up today. It’s hot as hell but I think I’ll try to throw her on tonight.

Tapatalk app is giving me problems, this is the only pic I can upload at the moment:

IMG_0810.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
That's my trusty Mk4 VR6 that I put the engine in! Not sure why the new version of Tapatalk is giving me issues :(