GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
IMG_0838.JPG

It’s all together, test drive soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Results inconclusive tonight... rod came a little loose, needs to cool off so I can adjust. Going to call it a day though and mess with it tomorrow. Car is up and running though!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Still having the issue. I don't think it could possibly be the actuator not having a good angle or enough leverage at this point... no way. There has to be some other underlying issue.

My car's voltage is low... 13v when it should be 14.5v when running. I might have a bad ground which I think can cause all sorts of weird electrical gremlins. Maybe this is why my WG closes so roughly when I watch it in slow motion? Anyway, I'm troubleshooting my low voltage next.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0849.JPG

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Best I can tell the accessories don’t have a huge impact on the voltage, maybe .1 or .2. I haven’t done any tests yet, been too busy.

Next big project is I got a DIY mini split AC unit that came in and I’m putting that in the garage [emoji16]I’m finished working on this thing so much in this Texas heat, lol. Got the garage insulated, just need to insulate and weather strip the door.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So DBV2 TBB turbski looks to have the same responsiveness as my EFR but I think the DBV2 will have more topend.

I’ve been considering the DBV2 TBB for a while now if I couldn’t get the EFR to work. Responsiveness is important for road course racing, otherwise I’d just throw on the biggest turbo I could.

Thoughts, anyone? Not sure how I’ll be able to sell the EFR.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I got more data from Daniel today. They did a 3rd gear pull from me from 3kRPM, didn't hit 30PSI until 4k RPM. So in the almost exact scenario, the EFR his hitting that 650 RPM sooner. You just can't beat the twin scroll of the EFR when it comes to responsiveness. However, the EFR isn't working, obviously.

The DBV2 seems like the next best thing as far as balance between power and responsiveness. The EQT is laggier, by about 400 RPM. But part of me thinks I should just go back to IS38 which is how I did my last track season and it was a blast. But then the other part of me is very sad for having this highly-built motor/head and not taking advantage of it.

I've really put myself in a shitty situation here based on my desires. If only this EFR would work, it really is exactly what I need.

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Y'all take a look at this when you have a chance and tell me if you think it could be my problem. I think I've posted these in here before. Here is my WG actuator, not hooked up at all, and look how jagged and choppy the closing motion is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaW-eG1krwc

Now, I've hooked up 4 different actuators, and they all behave exactly like that, so it's not the actuator itself causing it to close so choppy.

Now here is a local with a DBV2 and his WG actuator movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaAmdElOK7k

See how buttery smooth it is? Thoughts? I'm wondering if the actuator is "binding" on one of these choppy closing motions if that makes sense. Would anyone be willing to film their WG in slomo if you have access to VCDS for me? This is just an output test in VCDS.

rotaryguy

Passed Driver's Ed
I can probably get a video of my efr7163 with the E-gate on it moving the actuator/flapper arm for comparison to yours.

Y'all take a look at this when you have a chance and tell me if you think it could be my problem. I think I've posted these in here before. Here is my WG actuator, not hooked up at all, and look how jagged and choppy the closing motion is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaW-eG1krwc

Now, I've hooked up 4 different actuators, and they all behave exactly like that, so it's not the actuator itself causing it to close so choppy.

Now here is a local with a DBV2 and his WG actuator movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaAmdElOK7k

See how buttery smooth it is? Thoughts? I'm wondering if the actuator is "binding" on one of these choppy closing motions if that makes sense. Would anyone be willing to film their WG in slomo if you have access to VCDS for me? This is just an output test in VCDS.