GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Best lap here, working to get the GoPro footage edited. You'll notice how coming out of the last turn, the car was like "fk you!" and didn't give me any power. Cost me a second, man! (EDIT: Ok I exageratted, it cost me like .4 seconds :LOL:) For reference my Camaro ZL1 1LE buddy who is usually running like 1:20's in the dry was running a 2:13 or 2:14 this day, lol. I was running 2:09's!

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Full session GoPro vid:

Some of my fav pics:

_A093143.jpg

View attachment _A090553.jpg

View attachment _A090833.jpg

View attachment _A091560.jpg

View attachment _A091565.jpg

View attachment _A735471.jpg

Attachments

• 1589955839890.jpeg
    8.8 MB · Views: 79

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Great videos! Awesome to see your car back on track too.

Have you gotten a chance to investigate your exhaust issue yet?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Nice shit.
LMAO. Here's how that session would go with DSG.

accelerate
spin-autoupshift-bog
dammit

accelerate
spin-autoupshift-bog
dammit

accelerate
spin-autoupshift-bog
dammit
No disable NASKD on ED?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
After a double up shift, I was quick to have that disabled in the tune.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Thanks everyone! Pretty weird feeling to go to the track and not break anything serious and have a million problems when I get back home. That hasn't happened since I built the motor. I'm considering another track day on the 30th, but waiting to see if the weather is going to play nice.

Moose and I were finally going to set up a dyno tune session. Called the place, they're not doing dyno tuning currently because of COVID. Curses!!

Love the video! Car sounds great
Great videos! Awesome to see your car back on track too.

Have you gotten a chance to investigate your exhaust issue yet?

Yep, exhaust clamp popped off, which is to blame for a lot of the awesome sound. My dedicated stereo mic does a great job of capturing everything though.

IMG_0740.PNG

The drone gave me a headache on the hour drive home. I ain't about that life. lol

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Could have probably done that same lap time with 100hp. That's not a dig at you obviously, but how limited fwd is, especially in those conditions. Still looked like fun, but I bet you were going crazy not being able to put all that power down now that it's solid.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Queb, which GoPro do you use?
I now have the Hero 8 Black, and I use a Rhode VideoMic Pro with it. I also now use the MediaMod with it for the mic input. Their other dedicated adapter for mic input is a piece of hot garbage. Broke on me after a few weeks. Also worth noting I always forget to set the auto exposure to the windshield area during day recordings, so I always end up getting a great look at the interior of the car while outside is too bright, lol.

Could have probably done that same lap time with 100hp. That's not a dig at you obviously, but how limited fwd is, especially in those conditions. Still looked like fun, but I bet you were going crazy not being able to put all that power down now that it's solid.
I dunno, I still managed to put down some decent power in the straights. The full power the car is capable of is definitely too much for my driver skill at the track, I always turn boost and timing down some. As far as FWD goes, I feel it actually put me at an advantage to all the RWD cars out there in the rain last weekend. Maybe it's a chip on my shoulder, but I'm hesitant to ever call it "limited" with how much I've enjoyed it at the track, in Mexico, and with the respectable times put down by FWD cars like the Clubsport and Type R at the 'Ring.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's better than RWD or AWD generally speaking, I just think a well-setup FWD system with a diff like the GTI's is more capable than people tend to realize.

Last edited: