GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Also worth noting I always forget to set the auto exposure to the windshield area during day recordings, so I always end up getting a great look at the interior of the car while outside is too bright, lol.
The spot meter should work best for this. Lock it centered for the windshield.

SilverShareHolder

Since you've been through a number of configurations I'm hoping you might chime in on decision I'm trying to make. MK7 GLI DSG looking to turbo swap & stuck between an IS38 & some kind of hybrid option. I see that you've had IS38, EFR7163, DBV2. I'm just looking for something that "Feels quick" stop light to stop light, canyons, passing etc. Now I'm APR stage 2, it's great but this isn't it. Considering IS38 with IE tune, also considering EQT with custom tune, DBV2 or another option. It's a daily driver, want it to feel fast but don't need to shatter any hp records, looks with stock fueling there wouldn't be a huge difference in the numbers but the hybrids would hold power until redline while the IS38 would be starting to fall off, IS38 would spool earlier but still a bit later than IS20 I have now. Not sure what all this actually means from a seat of the pants perspective. What would you recommend? Can a "Big turbo" be a trouble free daily? Is a IS38 going to feel fast?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Since you've been through a number of configurations I'm hoping you might chime in on decision I'm trying to make. MK7 GLI DSG looking to turbo swap & stuck between an IS38 & some kind of hybrid option. I see that you've had IS38, EFR7163, DBV2. I'm just looking for something that "Feels quick" stop light to stop light, canyons, passing etc. Now I'm APR stage 2, it's great but this isn't it. Considering IS38 with IE tune, also considering EQT with custom tune, DBV2 or another option. It's a daily driver, want it to feel fast but don't need to shatter any hp records, looks with stock fueling there wouldn't be a huge difference in the numbers but the hybrids would hold power until redline while the IS38 would be starting to fall off, IS38 would spool earlier but still a bit later than IS20 I have now. Not sure what all this actually means from a seat of the pants perspective. What would you recommend? Can a "Big turbo" be a trouble free daily? Is a IS38 going to feel fast?
Previous GTI now R owner here...
I can tell you the IS38 is a happy medium for a daily driver. Doesn't have quite the low end punch the IS20 does, but it gains some nice power up high. Though I've noticed that the IS38 runs out of breath around 5500RPM. After that it's a hair dryer and simply can't flow enough air to keep up with the demand from the engine.

Most hybrids move the low end spool up either by a little or a LOT. Here's the thing that I've learned from a friend that had a hybrid on his GTI. With GOOD tires and such a hybrid with slower spool up times actually helps with traction from a dig. It'll still light the tires up if you're all in the throttle, but the smoothness of transition getting on boost is easier to control with a hybrid. The plus side to a hybrid is that they easily extend that power up high. Pulling all the way to redline in many cases.

There's hybrids for every person out there. Depends on what you're after to be honest. from the sound of it something in line with the DBV2 V1 turbo would likely be the best solution if you're looking at DBV2 exclusively. The V1 is the quickest spooling of the bunch and will spool up a bit earlier then the V2. Probably 300-500RPM earlier.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
TPC 20 or Vortex Standard seem to fall in line with what you want.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
TPC 20 or Vortex Standard seem to fall in line with what you want.

I vote for the TPC20 also. Had an IS38. The TPC20 spools about 500 RPM higher and blows away the IS38 on the top end. I gained 55HP from 5500 RPM and it didn't run out of breath. If the GTI could safely rev higher the TPC20 would still be pulling.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Since you've been through a number of configurations I'm hoping you might chime in on decision I'm trying to make. MK7 GLI DSG looking to turbo swap & stuck between an IS38 & some kind of hybrid option.

Sorry for not getting back to this. Personally I thought the IS38 was perfect on my GTI. But a smaller hybrid like the DBV2 V1 or EQT standard housing sound like they'd be good choices for you too. I'm not familiar with the TPC20 that others are recommending.

Had another track day Saturday and wanted to share this picture, lol:
IMG_0784.JPG

Typical PCV oil surge issue, seems to have been made worse from the Wortec oil pan. More oil sloshing around. I might try the iAbed baffled pan which claims to help with this issue.

Or, I might start parting out the car. I'm walking a fine line right now... thinking about picking up an '18 Camaro ZL1 1LE while prices are down. 650 supercharged bald eagles and track-ready completely stock from the factory... Very tempting to me right now as I continue to have issues. Having more wastegate issues as well... fantastic.

On the upside my cooling improvements have definitely worked, so there's that!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Sorry for not getting back to this. Personally I thought the IS38 was perfect on my GTI. But a smaller hybrid like the DBV2 V1 or EQT standard housing sound like they'd be good choices for you too. I'm not familiar with the TPC20 that others are recommending.

Had another track day Saturday and wanted to share this picture, lol:
View attachment 175462

Typical PCV oil surge issue, seems to have been made worse from the Wortec oil pan. More oil sloshing around. I might try the iAbed baffled pan which claims to help with this issue.

Or, I might start parting out the car. I'm walking a fine line right now... thinking about picking up an '18 Camaro ZL1 1LE while prices are down. 650 supercharged bald eagles and track-ready completely stock from the factory... Very tempting to me right now as I continue to have issues. Having more wastegate issues as well... fantastic.

On the upside my cooling improvements have definitely worked, so there's that!

ARGH it is so annoying that you continue to be plagued by these PCV/oil issues. I can’t imagine how you feel... Best of luck with them.

On the other hand I think the Camaro ZL1 1LE is a great choice as it is an excellent out of the box track performer plus awesome street car. Few bolt ons 700whp is possible...

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Blowby on cyl1. Hope pan helps but can’t see how it will. or is it right then left that triggers? what about just left vs just right?
Only seems to happen after hard braking and hard right turns. Which would place the oil right where the PCV is in the head. On the high-G left hand turns alone I don't get smoke. This doesn't have anything to do with blowby

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Another thing is I got a buddy with a built motor with almost 20% leakage in cylinders 1 and 4 and he isn't having issues filling the catch can. I have <10% cyl 1 and <5% on 2,3,4. We both used my gauges. Not sure what to make of that.

I'm also considering running a line from my catch can drain to my oil pan. I mean why not. With aftermarket PCV attached, I just get a ton of oil dumped into the can, but I don't get the oil surge smoke issue.