GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

ImolaSix

Almost identical turbine blade break as someone posted in the FB group about a month ago. FOD was suggested as the culprit (as per usual by turbo vendors) but seems suspicious...

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
C7 ZR1 does the ring in 7:04. Plus they seemed to have solved the overheating problems from the Z06. Just saying.

You going 7MT or 10 speed in the ZL1??

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No, not at all. I'm sure around this time next year it will be TPC on the crucifying list, just like EQT last year and DBV2 this year.

Thank you so much for that. I guess because of the miles I drive I won't have to wait until next year. I truly hope you suck at predictions. 😂

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'm pretty much settled on it at this point. Those things do 7:16 officially (less unofficially) around the 'Ring from the factory, very impressive, especially for the price. If it breaks on track, it's covered under standard warranty. And if you really want to, all you need is a pulley, tune, and E85 for 750whp. lol, things are wild. I considered a TTRS or Supra a good bit, but I'm trying to stay away from cars that I'll want to tune to get decent power out of. And I'm not a BMW fan, mainly aesthetics. ZL1 1LE seems like a perfect recipe to me... only downside to me is the meh interior, lol. Also considered C7 Z06 but they are prone to overheating, even though they're better with the '17 and later models... We've seen them still overheat at the track here in the Texas heat.... so that's a hard pass.

I'm open to suggestions but my criteria is I'm trying to stay away from modding/tuning to get the power I want on the streets, and good agility/power around a road course. I'm used to a 500whp hot hatch so I do want that power. That's why the ZL1 1LE seems perfect to me.
Is there not a simple cooling suggestion for the c7s?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
C7 ZR1 does the ring in 7:04. Plus they seemed to have solved the overheating problems from the Z06. Just saying.

You going 7MT or 10 speed in the ZL1??
Oof. I mean sure if I want to spend THAT kind of money. lol think that's a little beyond the budget I have in mind :LOL: Used ZL1 1LE's are running $55-60k! And again my Camaro track buddies say they have seen '17+ Z06's with the cooling fixes still overheat here. That really puts me off... Plus if I wanted to mod later I'd have to worry about that more. But... I will still look into it more.

Lame as it seems I'm leaning toward the stellar 10A. The 6MT does have auto-blip rev match and NLS, but honestly you may as well drive an auto at that point IMO. If Z06 it would be manual... the 8 speed tranny isn't near as good as the 10A from my understanding.

Is there not a simple cooling suggestion for the c7s?
Sure you can fix it with enough time and money :D Pretty sure you need to replace the bumper and add/upgrade coolers. Would rather just have a car that works from factory though...

Last edited:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Damnit now I'm looking at Z06's more. '17 and up manuals seem to be fine now.. at least until you turn up the power. But they sell entire cooling kits including the front bumper for some good $$$.

I am a much bigger fan of the looks and interior of a Corvette than the Camaro. If I did Z06 I'd do manual trans, ZLE 10A trans.

Last edited:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I spent a lot of time on the Corvette forums studying the cooling issues. From what I've seen, the cooling issues are only resolved on the ZR1 models. Maybe some of the folks up north can get away with it, but not down here. Oil temps on my ZL1 were higher than I would like at Road Atlanta last weekend, peaking at 273, but I never had any warnings or limp mode issues. If you aren't drag racing, I'd rethink the A10 option. It's really satisfying to row the gears on this car. It has auto rev match for downshifts, and no-lift upshifts that both work really well if you choose to use them.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Damnit now I'm looking at Z06's more. '17 and up manuals seem to be fine now.. at least until you turn up the power. But they sell entire cooling kits including the front bumper for some good $$$.

I am a much bigger fan of the looks and interior of a Corvette than the Camaro. If I did Z06 I'd do manual trans, ZLE 10A trans.

Have you driven them for a bit? I went through a few coyote builds peaking with a TT armageddon. Sold that and test drove a Boss 302, ZL1 and a B9 S5 SB. Of the 3, the B9 felt quickest despite being near last from an output standpoint. The domestic interiors felt like playschool garbage. High HP RWD cars are great in their element but beyond 500hp, they induce quite a bit of anxiety for DD or even spirited driving on streets.

I made a huge mistake thinking high HP RWD would solve my power lust and left AWD German cars. Took a hiatus with an AWD Q60 for a bit. FBO on pump was epic quick. Now I’m in a Golf R.

Why not sit back for a few months and let luxury German depreciation take a toll on the F90 M5. AWD with just a tune 850hp/700tq. Let someone take the resale hit then bask in the F90s glory destroying nearly anything around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...0242805/850-hp-bmw-m5-f90-noelle-performance/

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Why not sit back for a few months and let luxury German depreciation take a toll on the F90 M5. AWD with just a tune 850hp/700tq. Let someone take the resale hit then bask in the F90s glory destroying nearly anything around.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...0242805/850-hp-bmw-m5-f90-noelle-performance/
Have you driven the ZF 8 speed auto? I hated it in the m5. The shifts were slow, and felt terrible compared to a tuned DSG. Although I love the ZF 8 speed in the new m340. Go figure

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Have you driven the ZF 8 speed auto? I hated it in the m5. The shifts were slow, and felt terrible compared to a tuned DSG. Although I love the ZF 8 speed in the new m340. Go figure

Nada, I’ve avoided driving any of their newer generation lineup. I know I’d end up fixating on one and end up parting with my R. This Golf is just so much bang for the buck all around. Used anyway, wouldn’t buy one new.