GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator broken? after BMS intercooler install

04lss

Hi all,

Last month i installed a BMS intercooler on my GTI. all seemed fine. Last night my coolant alarm goes off. I shut off the car and check and the tank is full so i ignore it. On my way home it does it again, so this time i leave the car running. The tank was empty. I also saw a bunch of coolant around the passenger side of the radiator. I noticed that the radiator had come loose from the mount into the intercooler on the passenger side and fallen. It was like 1 AM, so i didn't have time to fully determine where the fluid was coming from.

I have a few questions

1. Has anyone had issues with their radiator coming loose from a BMS intercooler. (trying to figure out if i screwed up the install, or if there is an issue with the IC fitment) This is the question that worries me the most. I don't want to fix the rad only to have this happen again because the IC clip points aren't right.

2. I didn't see any hoses last night, so im suspecting that it is leaking from a busted rad. I am going to start it today and check it in the sunlight. are there any places i should be watching in particular?

3. if it is my Rad, do i have to remove the front bumper to get it out, or can i remove it via the engine bay?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
V1 or V2 of the IC? The V1 has issues with radiator fitment into the top clips of the IC. It’s sounds like yours popped out from the top which cracked the lower tab on that side causing the radiator to drop out of place. If those mount tabs break they could also crack the radiator same time. Sorry to hear about it.
I have had V1 for a little over a year with no issues other than those top clips not aligning well with the IC.

04lss

V1 or V2 of the IC? The V1 has issues with radiator fitment into the top clips of the IC. It’s sounds like yours popped out from the top which cracked the lower tab on that side causing the radiator to drop out of place. If those mount tabs break they could also crack the radiator same time. Sorry to hear about it.
I have had V1 for a little over a year with no issues other than those top clips not aligning well with the IC.

When did v2 come out? Ive had this since march/april of last year.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Here are some pics of what I’m speaking of
5C0B4CCE-4C3C-4AE4-8CB5-590071FCDF67.jpeg
00DB25D4-11C5-4080-8CBC-1CFDAD92F1D3.jpeg
4F008996-5E09-448F-AA8F-13B3955CE689.jpeg

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
My solution was to remove a small amount of material on the passenger side upper radiator clip. It just barely doesn’t clear the IC insert on the left side. You can see in the 2nd photo. Once shaved it clips right in place. That angle on the lower clips can cause damage to them.

04lss

I guess it makes sense i had a date in the car and i was doing a little showing off. must have had it separate. Bummer.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
is it possible to remove the radiator without removing the bumper?
Possibly. By removing the intake and runner you should be able to pull the fan assembly out from the top and access the radiator.

04lss

Thought id provide an update:
It was not the radiator, but in fact the radiator hose. It rubbed against the pulley and had a hole cut into it. The dealer charged my 600 bucks to replace the hose :mad:.almost 200 bucks for the hose when the MSRP is 115, but that's another issue. They also blamed my o34 pendulum mount and used that to deny my warranty claim. (again another story).

Once i picked up the car i used some zip ties to try and secure the radiator in case it came loose again. I am glad i did, because last night it came back out. I have asked George at BMS if i can return the version 1 I have and swap it for their corrected version 2. So far its been about a week and he is running it up to his higher ups. If that doesn't work, I am going to try and JB weld the clips in place. I like to drive the car on the track, and i really cant do that if the zip ties are the only things keeping it safe. Hopefully BMS resolves the issue. I think asking for the corrected version is fair all things considered.

I am pretty bummed right now about the whole situation. I feel like i should have just spent the money and gone APR. With the repair cost, it would have been cheaper over all.

04lss

Sounds like you didn't install the dogbone bolt correctly.
Nope. They literally told me that they found nothing wrong with the dogbone. They said "We cant be sure the factory one didnt break"

I specifically asked if they changed anything with the mount and they said no. I then asked if there were any issues with the mount right now that could cause the problem and they said no. it was their "best guess" and basically just a reason to avoid a warranty pay out. If they had blamed the IC, i wouldn't have really cared because that was the problem.