GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear door leaking

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Water leak from the right rear door, just like mk7.
I need to have newspapers to get water away from the carpet

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5wuLbPftjE3pJzcv8
Car is going to gps antenna fix at next week, I sent pics of the leak to mechanic. We will see what happens...
Car is 15 months old and 24000km done

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
This is a known problem, at least on the Golf Mk 7 / 7.5. Water gets in where the door speaker is mounted on the door card. We had this repaired by VW as a goodwill gesture when we discovered it on our previous Mk7.5 shortly after the expiry of the 3 year warranty.

Reactions: tos

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
This is a known problem, at least on the Golf Mk 7 / 7.5. Water gets in where the door speaker is mounted on the door card. We had this repaired by VW as a goodwill gesture when we discovered it on our previous Mk7.5 shortly after the expiry of the 3 year warranty.
Yes, it’s a known issue - the speaker seals on the mk7 and mk7.5 were prone to fail.

It’s surprising that VW didn’t use the introduction of the mk8 as an opportunity to upgrade those seals to something longer lasting and more durable.

Last edited:

feds85

I have the same issue at Skoda Fabia I (manufacture in 2000)... VW was not able to solve it during 22 years

tos

Go Kart Newbie
They tried fix that door at last week.
Door seal are still wet, soon it is flooded and water goes in...

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Sadly, I discovered this same issue today, the water ingress looks exactly like your picture, and it’s the same door, I took it straight to the dealership, they took one look and booked it in, the tech agreed that is likely to be the speaker seal, but said he was surprised to see this on a car only a year old, as he said it’s usually due to the speaker seal degrading over time, I’m tempted to remove all of the speakers myself and seal them properly with a bead of silicone, has anybody else on here had this issue recently? If so, did you manage to get it rectified?

MrGolf112

I am also having this issue. Really disappointed as I thought VW would have fixed this issue due to all the complaints they would have had with the MK7. The car is still under warranty can't believe they have failed so quickly.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
My rear doors leaking were not the speakers as the mk7, instead it’s the window regulator at the bottom AND the door clips. Clips would not seal when door panel was installed and the window regulator does not have enough screws at the bottom to compress its seal.
The only fix was sealant applied to lower part of seal for window regulator AND sealant on all the door clips.
01E83DEA-BD73-46CA-9B74-B577E4F712D5.jpeg

Attachments

• CE151D82-C380-4B47-9C9F-39D08AD37D49.jpeg
    CE151D82-C380-4B47-9C9F-39D08AD37D49.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 78

MrGolf112

Finally had mine fixed yesterday.
I have put a complaint into VW UK about the build quality of the Mk8 as this shouldn't be happening on my vehicle which is 2 years old. They replied saying it's due to the "age" it's obviously a design flaw which has not been addressed after this issues plagued the Mk7 VW don't care about it's customers anymore the more people complain and provide feedback perhaps they might start to improve again.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Finally had mine fixed yesterday.
I have put a complaint into VW UK about the build quality of the Mk8 as this shouldn't be happening on my vehicle which is 2 years old. They replied saying it's due to the "age" it's obviously a design flaw which has not been addressed after this issues plagued the Mk7 VW don't care about it's customers anymore the more people complain and provide feedback perhaps they might start to improve again.
It’d probably need owners and prospective owners of VW’s to vote with their feet ‘en masse’ and not buy VW cars before VW take notice and listen to their customers.

If VW experienced a significant drop in sales they may take some positive action; in reality, they probably wouldn’t though.

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Newbie
Fifth time for service both of rear doors, now my car sleep with them by this night and I got ID.3 for couple days.
The called me and found a reason for leaking.

H/K speakers.

When raining a lot, water comes through the speaker element! Not between the speaker and door!
They trying to fix it somehow, for guide the water away from the top of the speaker...

tos

Go Kart Newbie
They said that there are now retrofitted self-made guides for water what VW should did at factory...
I don't have any pictures from door, but they send them to VW.

They did tests and no water should come through the speaker