GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Trunk Rattle Fixed!

MKVIMike

Passed Driver's Ed
I have noticed this rattle since the day i drove the car home. It sounded like something was hitting metal. I would describe it as a high pitch clunking noise that happens when going over bumps. For 6 months it has become progressively louder and now happens over the SLIGHTEST imperfections on the road.

I have tried everything that was suggested from this board (white lithium spray, tape on the strikers on all doors, rear seat, and hatch, checked the seat belts, rear divider/cup holder, checked the spare tire, removed the trunk cover, removed everything from the trunk, removed the rear license plate) and nothing works. This rattle has become so annoying that i am starting to regret buying this car :mad0259:. I have had enough, so today i let my friend drive while i sat in the trunk. Sure enough i see that the hatch is moving slightly up and down over bumps and is making that noise on both sides. I open the trunk and i see this.

That silver spec is actually bear metal that comes to contact with the trunk strut. Apparently when the trunk is closed, the strut has been banging on the paint over bumps. Over time that paint wore away and is now bear metal. This spot has gotten bigger than what i've noticed many months ago, which explains why the rattle has become louder. This is evident on both sides.

The fix: $1 sheet of black felt with adhesive on the bottom from Michael's craft store. Just cut a little piece and place it over the area. I also added a small strip to the strut for extra protection. They also have them in white, red, and gray to blend with your car.

The rattle is GONE. There are no words to explain how relieved i feel right now. I can drive without the radio on, and feel confident driving friends and family around without them thinking that the GTI is a rattling pos.

Check to see if there is paint wearing away on your car. This may work for you.

Last edited:

MattTheCarNut

Ready to race!
OMG there is some major craeking going on in my rear hatch. I going to try this fix and let you know!

Thank you for sharing!!!! Cross fingers....

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Great detective work!
I'll keep an eye (and ears) out for that one.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
OP; while that's certainly an easy way to fix the issue; there is a more "OEM" way if you prefer...

See that little rubber stopper just below the bare metal you are talking about? that is the Hatch bump stop and is meant to keep the hatch tight and rattle free. Your's (like thousands of other MKV and MKVI cars) were never adjusted correctly to start with, causing the rattles.

Inside the center of that bump stop is a 3mm hex screw; you loosen it a few turns and then pull the bumper out a couple notches to make the hatch tighter.

Here are in-depth instructions for anyone else with the issue:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4747921

:thumbsup:

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I love the "friend drives while I find the squeak/rattle" drive. I'm going to do the same so I can find a squeaky weather strip on one if my doors (least that's what I think it is).

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I love the "friend drives while I find the squeak/rattle" drive. I'm going to do the same so I can find a squeaky weather strip on one if my doors (least that's what I think it is).

Weather stripping creaking is nearly impossible to fix.
It's much like the squeaking rubber sound of a balloon.

I've tried "Gummi Flege" (spell) to no use.
Found on some BMW/Corvette forums that people had good results putting a thin film of Dielectric Grease along the weather stripping.
Helped a bit - but not enough.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
OP; while that's certainly an easy way to fix the issue; there is a more "OEM" way if you prefer...

See that little rubber stopper just below the bare metal you are talking about? that is the Hatch bump stop and is meant to keep the hatch tight and rattle free. Your's (like thousands of other MKV and MKVI cars) were never adjusted correctly to start with, causing the rattles.

Inside the center of that bump stop is a 3mm hex screw; you loosen it a few turns and then pull the bumper out a couple notches to make the hatch tighter.

Good info if this ever occurs, thanks.:)

TDI110

O_o
I always thought it was the spare tire tools rattling about and needing a good strap tightening. Must do this when I get home.

Graustark

Ready to race!
Just looked at mine. I have the same scuff into the paint on the driver side. Will try your fix. Thanks!

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
OMG there is some major craeking going on in my rear hatch. I going to try this fix and let you know!

Thank you for sharing!!!! Cross fingers....

My rear area creaks when I turn into my driveway or any parking lots with steep entryways. I've been assuming it was suspension noise. Is this something I might want to check/try as an adjustment to resolve the creaking?

MKVIMike

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks a lot. I will try adjusting them.

Update: The tape still works but it does get wet every time i wash the car. Since the car is quieter, I now hear the door rattle that everyone was talking about. The white lithium grease and tape on the striker works for a short time so i need to find a permanent solution. One rattle leads to the next :iono:.

bearJW

Ready to race!
I have this issue with my jetta sportwagen... and it has no adjustable bumper stops! Arrrggghhh!

ocramida

It worked!

My left bumper was a bit to shallow. Adjusted it equal to the right and the rear rattle is now gone! The hatch also closes with more of a slam. Before it rattled a bit when I closed it.