GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

replacing golf r headlight internals (ballasts, bulbs, etc).. anyone done it?

trashb0y

Ready to race!
does anyone have experience swapping the guts of a GTI LP headlight into a golf r one? i ordered some euro r headlights, but they have no internals in them.
from my research, most of the internals are swappable, but the R requires an extra module, which I already ordered and have in my possession.

the parts that need to be swapped over are:
Bulb Igniter 8K0-941-597-E
Leveling Module (AFS) 3D0-941-329-A
Power Module for Day Driving Lights 4G0-907-697-F
Xenon Headlight Bulb N-107-218-05

i've done lots of research on this topic, so i know it can be done. i'm pretty much looking if someone can point me in the direction of where these components actually go, or how to remove/install them into the new headlight assembly.

i checked the VW parts diagram, i think these are the parts I need to swap over? can anyone with more experience working with the headlights chime in?

1617940655934.png

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
thanks for the quick and clear answer! 😄
so basically, i'm just pulling these modules out of my current headlight, and swapping over the bulb, and thats it?
Should be. I was looking into swapping to Euro R headlights when looking at a Halogen to Xenon conversion. I believe that is all you need, but the new lights may come with bulbs.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
What’s the difference in a Euro light?
No amber side lights mainly. Going to the R you get the double LED as well which is nice. When doing my halogen to Xenon reading I almost went with the Euro R's as they were cheaper than the US GSW/Alltrack/Golf Xenons new off E-acca. Ended up doing a partial retrofit with OSRAMs as they were still cheaper than the Euro Golf R's.

trashb0y

Ready to race!
No amber side lights mainly. Going to the R you get the double LED as well which is nice. When doing my halogen to Xenon reading I almost went with the Euro R's as they were cheaper than the US GSW/Alltrack/Golf Xenons new off E-acca. Ended up doing a partial retrofit with OSRAMs as they were still cheaper than the Euro Golf R's.
what he said.
for me, i'm basically doing this because i'm not too big of a fan of the red accents on the front of the car, and having the LP makes it impossible for me to just get replica golf r headlights.. figured if i was gonna drop 1k on em, might as well get the euro ones..

now i just have to hope everything goes as planned in terms of module installation and coding..

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

what he said.
for me, i'm basically doing this because i'm not too big of a fan of the red accents on the front of the car, and having the LP makes it impossible for me to just get replica golf r headlights.. figured if i was gonna drop 1k on em, might as well get the euro ones..

now i just have to hope everything goes as planned in terms of module installation and coding..
Ah. That makes sense. I didn’t know if it added dynamic front signals.

trashb0y

Ready to race!
hey, i just got my R headlights earlier this week, but forgot to get some replacement screws to hold the modules on the bottom of the headlights in. i'm just waiting on these screws to come in, before i try it out. i will update when i finish.

trashb0y

Ready to race!
just as an update, i installed the headlights tonight, and it was pretty straight forward. the hardest part of the install was probably getting the bumper off.

you do need to buy the additional AFS and inner DRL module, while everything else from the factory GTI xenon headlights were swappable. with no coding, my turn signals dont work, and i get an error, but i'm optimistic coding will do the trick. will update tomorrow with my findings.

trashb0y

Ready to race!
update 2: coding didnt fix the turn signals working. i get three errors:

Background:
I have read various threads and done some pretty good research on the topic before even attempting it, (these two threads were my most helpful resources https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/oem-euro-golf-r-xenon-headlamp-swap-into-lp-gti.7141480/, https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/euro-golf-r-headlights-on-a-usa-gti.7803058/page-4), but I am having some issues.

Parts purchased:
The headlight set I purchased came from DAP, part #5G1-998-753-D-GRP
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...ghts-with-led-drl-one-pair-5g1998753dgrp.html
I ordered 2 additional DRL modules, part #4G0907697F
and a set of AFS modules, part #3D0941329
I swapped the other two existing modules over from my GTI, and swapped over the bulbs as well.

After install behavior (no coding):
After installing, with my headlight switch in the upright position (which trigger the single DRL in the stock LP GTI headlights), there is no activity from my lights.
When put to the second position over (which i think is supposed to trigger fogs?), both DRLs light up.
When put into the furthest position over, the lights fully activate, and are suitable for nighttime driving.

Coding:
I performed these coding adaptations:
  • Channel (1) - Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lasttyp 0
    • Change from: 12 - Blinkleuchten ; To: 33 - LED-Modul Blinkleuchten
  • Channel (6) - Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert AB 0
    • Change from: 100 ; To: 127
  • Channel (1) - Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lasttyp 1
  • Channel (6) - Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert AB 1
    • Change from: 100 ; To:127
and using my OBDEleven, I went into 55 - Headlight Regulation -> Basic setting -> Acknowledge basic setting -> save
and did 55 - Headlight Regulation -> Basic headlamp setting -> Acknowledge headlamp settings -> save.

Result:
but am still getting three errors.
1. Check left turn signal
2. Check right turn signal
3. Error: Cornering light AFS fix.

Attachments

• 1619292712010.png
    1619292712010.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

AlejoColombia

Car(s)
GTI MK7 Performance
update 2: coding didnt fix the turn signals working. i get three errors:

Background:
I have read various threads and done some pretty good research on the topic before even attempting it, (these two threads were my most helpful resources https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/oem-euro-golf-r-xenon-headlamp-swap-into-lp-gti.7141480/, https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/euro-golf-r-headlights-on-a-usa-gti.7803058/page-4), but I am having some issues.

Parts purchased:
The headlight set I purchased came from DAP, part #5G1-998-753-D-GRP
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...ghts-with-led-drl-one-pair-5g1998753dgrp.html
I ordered 2 additional DRL modules, part #4G0907697F
and a set of AFS modules, part #3D0941329
I swapped the other two existing modules over from my GTI, and swapped over the bulbs as well.

After install behavior (no coding):
After installing, with my headlight switch in the upright position (which trigger the single DRL in the stock LP GTI headlights), there is no activity from my lights.
When put to the second position over (which i think is supposed to trigger fogs?), both DRLs light up.
When put into the furthest position over, the lights fully activate, and are suitable for nighttime driving.

Coding:
I performed these coding adaptations:
  • Channel (1) - Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Lasttyp 0
  • Channel (6) - Leuchte 0 BLK VL B36-Dimmwert AB 0
    • Change from: 100 ; To: 127
  • Channel (1) - Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Lasttyp 1
  • Channel (6) - Leuchte1BLK VRB20-Dimmwert AB 1
    • Change from: 100 ; To:127
and using my OBDEleven, I went into 55 - Headlight Regulation -> Basic setting -> Acknowledge basic setting -> save
and did 55 - Headlight Regulation -> Basic headlamp setting -> Acknowledge headlamp settings -> save.

Result:
but am still getting three errors.
1. Check left turn signal
2. Check right turn signal
3. Error: Cornering light AFS fix.
How are you doing now? How is it going bro, could you fix the errors?