GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing Rear Speakers with a DROP IN solution

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
Before people go jumping down my throat with "search!!!!", I already have.
I have searched all over here and on google.
Also I have no intentions of swapping headunits or swapping front speakers (at this point).

CAR:
2009 VW GTI 2 door - base model (but included sat radio)

My situation:
I recently completed (or so I thought!) my stereo install a few months ago with an Audio Source LC6i, pdx5, and uber stealth sub, using all stock speakers and stock headunit.
After a couple of months of enjoyable use, the right rear speaker blew. I hae since dialed down the gain to the rear channel so as to refrain from destroying the rear left speaker and I have unplugged the line from the PDX5 to the right rear speaker.

I am now looking to replace the rear speakers as I want the rear fill back.
I know some people on here say to just disconnect the rear speakers anywyas, but I want the rear fill back and im stubborn.
I have been looking for some information on replacing the rear speakers, but as the title says I want a drop in solution that can support the power from my pdx5.

With that said, I have been eyeballing the Rainbow IQ 165 CX Rear - VW Golf 5 speakers as they tend to have really good reviews, however I have not seen anybody document that they are a drop in solution for the MKV GTI.
Can anybody comment on this and/or provide feedback on how they sound?
I have looked u pthe speakers on MULTIPLE sites and they say they should fit the MKV GTI, but when I contacted www.iqcarstereo.com this is what they said:

Unfortunately, we can not guarantee that the item will fit your car or
be a drop in replacement for you. We have found thatif not every
vehicle is the same.
If you would like to order the item, please let us know.
Thanks,
IQ

Thanks for any insight guys!

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
just a quick note, I am not 100% sold on the rainbows and I can be persuaded to buy another brand but as I said I want a drop in rear speaker solution that I wont have to screw around with more wiring and/or creating spacers.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

stenger944

Gti Guy
Car(s)
09 Mkv GTI
When you say drop ins do you mean speakers you don't have to wire in?.....I mean like plug and play, and how did your right speaker blow out? I have my stock headunit and stock speakers still in my 09 GTI with a 12inch Kicker Comp in my trunk thats wired into my headunit using a line in out converter that then runs to my Kenwood amp. I haven't had a single problem with my system and i've had it installed for over a year now, also my bass is almost always turned all the way down as I allow for the sub to produce bass instead of the door speakers. Either way why not just go to crutchfield and buy some alpine door speakers?

xXANCHORMONXx

Banned
Car(s)
2003 EVO GSR
I Was going to get the rntire kit through a group buy a year ago but missed it. this is the only kit that is a drop in solution so you dont have to relocate tweeters and all that.
and the 165 like you mentioned
Id go for it, I emailed these guys a while back and they didn't get back to me, ill email them in German this time. I actually go to Switzerland a few times a year and plan to go in may or june so it could be a good time to pick these up, I will probably get a set too..:thumbsup:

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
When you say drop ins do you mean speakers you don't have to wire in?.....I mean like plug and play, and how did your right speaker blow out? I have my stock headunit and stock speakers still in my 09 GTI with a 12inch Kicker Comp in my trunk thats wired into my headunit using a line in out converter that then runs to my Kenwood amp. I haven't had a single problem with my system and i've had it installed for over a year now, also my bass is almost always turned all the way down as I allow for the sub to produce bass instead of the door speakers. Either way why not just go to crutchfield and buy some alpine door speakers?
Yes, I dont want to have to run any more wires to the rear, I want to be able to disconnect the stock speakers in the rear, and then connect the same wiring to the new speakers.
The right rear speaker blew as my PDX5 is currently amping all of the stock speakers and it ws just too much power for them.
I can hear the rear left speaker fizzle and crack on occasion at high volume so its only a matter oftime beore that one fizzles out as well.

I Was going to get the rntire kit through a group buy a year ago but missed it. this is the only kit that is a drop in solution so you dont have to relocate tweeters and all that.
and the 165 like you mentioned
Id go for it, I emailed these guys a while back and they didn't get back to me, ill email them in German this time. I actually go to Switzerland a few times a year and plan to go in may or june so it could be a good time to pick these up, I will probably get a set too..:thumbsup:

IQ Car stereo was fast with a response, they got back to me within 24 hours, maybe try to hit them up again. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses guys, anybody else with any information?

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
bump
anybody else have input?
Im pretty sure Im going to pull the trigger on these speakers with my next paycheck

PJnB

Passed Driver's Ed
I too am very interested in this. I am more than likely about to amp up all of the stock speakers and I would love to have this thread to go to WHEN they blow. Haha. Also, virtualheretic, will you PLEASE write up a DIY on how to remove the rear panel covering the rear speakers for the 2 door. I looked EVERYWHERE a while back and I couldnt find anything. If something exists, please link it up. Thanks!

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
last bump, for infos.
Going to order the rainbows once the vendor gets back to me

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
After contacting EVERY US vendor of Rainbow speakers and getting the runaround for over a month trying to buy the damn Rainbow IQ 165 speakers I contacted Rainbow DIRECTLY last night and this is what they sent me THIS MORNING:

Unfortunately these speakers are no longer in production and can no longer be purchased.

Fack, back to the drawing board.
I replied back to Rainbow asking if the yhad any other woofers that would drop right in to to the stock location and wiring harness, we will see with what the repsond with.

Anybody else have any reccomendations?
Trying to research any MKV GTI/MKVI GTI that has replaced the reasr speakers is like pulling teeth! :mad0259:

1canuck2

Ready to race!
I'd say buying any aftermarket speaker as a drop in replacement for your rears is a bad idea if you are keeping the stock speaks in the front. The reality is an aftermarket will likely sound better than the stock, and you don't want the best sound to be from the rears, even if you like rear fill. Why not find a wreckers yard and see if you can get a stock replacement for the rear?

Also, if you blew the speaker with your external amp, it likely means you need to spend some time tweaking the gains, etc on the amp (i.e turn them down). Louder is not necessarily better if everything is overdriven.

And for this guy:
I have my stock headunit and stock speakers still in my 09 GTI with a 12inch Kicker Comp in my trunk thats wired into my headunit using a line in out converter that then runs to my Kenwood amp ... also my bass is almost always turned all the way down as I allow for the sub to produce bass instead of the door speakers.

You do realize that if you are using a LOC, that turning the bass all the way down is also removing the bass frequencies from the audio being sent to your sub, right? That can't sound very accurate, since the sub is not getting the low frequency portion of the signal it needs to accurately reproduce the bass portion of your music.

This is why I re-amplified my stockers with an external amp, so I could use the amp's crossover to roll-off the bass AFTER sending the sub amp the full frequency audio.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I'd say buying any aftermarket speaker as a drop in replacement for your rears is a bad idea if you are keeping the stock speaks in the front. The reality is an aftermarket will likely sound better than the stock, and you don't want the best sound to be from the rears, even if you like rear fill. Why not find a wreckers yard and see if you can get a stock replacement for the rear?

Also, if you blew the speaker with your external amp, it likely means you need to spend some time tweaking the gains, etc on the amp (i.e turn them down). Louder is not necessarily better if everything is overdriven.

IMHO there would be no reason to replace the stock speakers that I have blown up with more stock speakers that I will blow up.
I want to achieve rear fill and I want to have a solution that will last.
I also want to finish u pwith the sound deadening job so I am going to be taking the interior apart to do that and I might as well replace the speakers at that point.

I do understand that the aftermarket speakers will sound better than the stock speakers but I can just adjust the gain down so they wont overpower the fronts.

If I do happen to blow u pthe fronts then I will replace them as well, but I dont want to go through the hassle right now.

I dont wantto be an ass and just shoot down your opinions, and do something else, but knowing that the rear speakers are disconnected cuz they are blown really bugs me.

1canuck2

Ready to race!
IMHO there would be no reason to replace the stock speakers that I have blown up with more stock speakers that I will blow up.
I want to achieve rear fill and I want to have a solution that will last.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think the reason you blew them up is because you were overdriving them with your amp. A stock replacement for dirt cheap and a tweak of your setup and you won't blow them, and they'll be better matched with your fronts.

I do understand that the aftermarket speakers will sound better than the stock speakers but I can just adjust the gain down so they wont overpower the fronts.

Instead, you are going to spend decent money on better speakers than the fronts and turn them down so you don't get the benefit of spending the money on the better speakers? Its your money, but that doesn't make sense to me.

I dont wantto be an ass and just shoot down your opinions, and do something else, but knowing that the rear speakers are disconnected cuz they are blown really bugs me.

I don't think you are being an ass, and hopefully you don't think I am, I just don't see the logic in investing in aftermarkets for the rear then turning them down so you can still run stock in the front.

Its kinda the same as the guy who said he turns the bass down on the HU, but uses a LOC to send signal to his sub. You've spent good money on something then configured it in a way that does not take full advantage of the investment.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
Go to www.crutchfield.com They have a thing to type in your car and give you drop in speaker sizes... Dont order from them as their prices are outrageous. I just use it to get speaker specs.