GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Hey, Ive seen a lot of people on drive2.ru take a lane assist camera bracket that can match their rain sensor position and trim it to fit their windshield, glue it on, Calibrate and it works.

So i had this idea of making my Own but Properly.

Ive found this bracket that will match the position of the rainsensor in my car. Do you guys think it will be possible to install it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-...062.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.7eab2e0exdPxOS

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hey, Ive seen a lot of people on drive2.ru take a lane assist camera bracket that can match their rain sensor position and trim it to fit their windshield, glue it on, Calibrate and it works.

Ive found this bracket that will match the position of the rainsensor in my car. Do you guys think it will be possible to install it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VW-...062.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.7eab2e0exdPxOS

Link to these threads?

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Update

Here are all the parts I Will buy:
Bracket (link is at the top) ~ 85$
Camera 3Q0 980 654 G ~ 80$
Camera heater ~ 20$
wiring (off aliexpress) ~30$
New trim pieces. ~ 40$
Glue and paint ~40$

Total cost of ~ 290$

It may seem like a lot to you guys, but This price is so cheap for me. A DAP Windshield in my country will cost way over 1200$. VW Wont Install it for me and the only way to get a DAP Golf is to buy a brand new one, so this is perfect for me.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Update

Here are all the parts I Will buy:
Bracket (link is at the top) ~ 85$
Camera 3Q0 980 654 G ~ 80$
Camera heater ~ 20$
wiring (off aliexpress) ~30$
New trim pieces. ~ 40$
Glue and paint ~40$

Total cost of ~ 290$

It may seem like a lot to you guys, but This price is so cheap for me. A DAP Windshield in my country will cost way over 1200$. VW Wont Install it for me and the only way to get a DAP Golf is to buy a brand new one, so this is perfect for me.

Is it really worth it?

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
subscribed :)

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Update 2: The bracket I linked will fit best for cars without any sensors on the windshield, as they do not have the black paint that will block the camera. The black paint seems to be in between two layers of glass so it cannot be scraped off.

The OEM Bracket for the MK7 Is not sold ANYWHERE. So i will have to trim the bracket I Will buy, and move the rain sensor bracket so nothing blocks the sensor or the camera.

And it should look like the OEM camera and sensor placement

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Update 2: The bracket I linked will fit best for cars without any sensors on the windshield, as they do not have the black paint that will block the camera. The black paint seems to be in between two layers of glass so it cannot be scraped off.

The OEM Bracket for the MK7 Is not sold ANYWHERE. So i will have to trim the bracket I Will buy, and move the rain sensor bracket so nothing blocks the sensor or the camera.

And it should look like the OEM camera and sensor placement

Pics when done.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I hope you can enable Adaptive Lane Tracking, because Lane Assist doesn't do sh*t.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
I hope you can enable Adaptive Lane Tracking, because Lane Assist doesn't do sh*t.
They are not the same?
And after proper calibration i should be able to enable HBA and traffic sign recognition too.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
They are not the same?
And after proper calibration i should be able to enable HBA and traffic sign recognition too.

Not in the U.S. at least. Your car will bounce off the lines on the sides of the road with Lane Assist. ALT will keep your car pretty much centered, but only for about 10 seconds before you need to move the steering wheel to reactivate it. What's really annoying is it won't engage until 41 MPH.

You should be able to enable ALT with VCDS. I also have HBA enabled. Don't know about the traffic sign part.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Not in the U.S. at least. Your car will bounce off the lines on the sides of the road with Lane Assist. ALT will keep your car pretty much centered, but only for about 10 seconds before you need to move the steering wheel to reactivate it. What's really annoying is it won't engage until 41 MPH.

You should be able to enable ALT with VCDS. I also have HBA enabled. Don't know about the traffic sign part.

Oh, Well I Guess we will find out after installation. traffic sign is also a part of the camera features, Not sure if it will work in my country tho.