MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Following. Lol

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Can't wait to see the result.

Just curious, could you swap into a gti or base Golf since you're moving over almost everything or are the differences with the R too big to make it work.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So from the video I took it that the rs3 has a stronger haldex And dif than the r. Is this correct ? The video was saying that it's a direct swap onto our cradle. This is very interesting to me......

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

Just curious, could you swap into a gti or base Golf since you're moving over almost everything or are the differences with the R too big to make it work.
Other than what they are doing to the golf R you would need to mod the trunk floor on a FWD golf to fit the AWD subframe, the wagons all have room for AWD I think.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
That’s what I took from it as well. So if they Haldex shits the bed, look for an RS3 unit. Got it.
If I remember correctly it may not be a direct swap. Although I can't remember where I read that. I'm sure this series will show this if that's true.

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion

Funny thing is I went to a few shops before I decided on Innovative Motorsports and ALL of them except Innovative told me to sell the R and buy an RS3. I originally didnt want to do that and was just gonna build the R motor. Innovative was great I must admit. He was willing to do whatever I wanted and wasnt hating on the R lol. Personally I dont care for the RS3. I think it looks like an A3. Its boring to me. I LOVE the MK7. IDN why I just love the VW thing. I think once u own one its like being in a Cult lol and cant get out lol.

So I decided the R would be about 300 lbs lighter and didnt have to turn it into a tin-can to make it light. I will remove the rear seats but not the fronts. Looks stupid imo unless its a dedicated race but even then it looks dumb all gutted smh.

Not sure if there are provisions for the Haladex to actually fit a standard Golf or GTI. Good question tho. I dont think there would be any weight savings tho cause what makes the R heavier is the AWD stuff. But the RS3 has an aluminum block that will surely save weight over the Iron R block but the transmission and Halidex are beefier and therefore heavier so ill be interested in seeing how much it weighs when its all done.

I plan on the car coming in around 3050 lbs. I have purchased every CF part u can buy lol. I have lightweight Corbeau seats going in with Litespeed 18 inch wheels weighing 14 lbs. I also purchased AP front brakes to save weight. Titanium exhaust with an electric dump will be installed as well.

Fuel system will be ID1700's as the 1300's will likely be at their maximum duty cycle at full boost. Brushless fuel pump going in as well. I have also upgraded ALL the suspension components and when Tractive releases their coil overs they will be going in. Those or KW3's. Not sure yet as the availability of the Tractives are suspect. But this will take several months to build so I mite just hold off till they are released. Also have Verkline subframes and trailing arm kit.

But yes the Haladex in the RS3 is much stronger than the Golf R and of course u get the DQ500 over the DQ250. That DQ500 is really stout!

I plan on building the Transmission with Dodson clutches and Billet gears and of course an LSD and the motor will be sleeved and fully built with ported heads and upgraded valve train. They have just released intake camshafts for the RS3 so those will be going in as well and one of Hanks Billet Intake manifolds to.

All will be run thru the Syvex stand alone and the Haladex will get the Syvex controller also. Will be remotely tuned from the UK.

Im an audiofile so 3-way Audison Thesis will be going in with two Thesis amps and a Focal MW 10 inch sub. I have $15k budget for the stereo. Custom pods and sub enclosure. Should only add another 25 lbs of weight so not too bad.

Last edited:

GNBRETT

Go Kart Champion
Well, the Golf R when fully built is around 650 whp for most. Im sure a few have made a little more but ur at the ceiling there and running it on the edge.

The RS3 platform can make 1300 whp and be turned down to 800 and live forever. Trust me bro if the R had the ability I wouldnt be wasting my money swapping it cause its really expensive! Just two different animals!

It's different but I would be more impressed if they got that same kind of horsepower from the original engine and not a swap.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Well, the Golf R when fully built is around 650 whp for most. Im sure a few have made a little more but ur at the ceiling there and running it on the edge.

The RS3 platform can make 1300 whp and be turned down to 800 and live forever. Trust me bro if the R had the ability I wouldnt be wasting my money swapping it cause its really expensive! Just two different animals!
Yes, I'm fully aware of the power capability for both platforms and what it takes to get it there. This isn't my first rodeo. You can get the R and GTI over 650 whp; built block with a big enough turbo and supporting mods will do it for you.