GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
"take a monkey, place him into the cockpit and he is able to drive the car" - Lauda

hans611

Lost
So bad ass they get their own splash screen and everything...

The wheel switches/button positions are also custom to each driver

torga

Autocross Champion
Hopefully this season is actually entertaining.

I don't have any interest in races that aren't competitive up front. Can't stand stand best battles being for 4th-10th.

I had to reframe my expectations during the Hamilton years to get any sort of enjoyment out of the sport (outside of 2016 and 2017, of course). So I started really paying attention to the midfield battles and that expanded my enjoyment overall. I learned a while back that if I'm only paying attention to the front, shit can get real real boring, real quick.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
So bad ass they get their own splash screen and everything...

The wheel switches/button positions are also custom to each driver
I'd need the old school pioneer radio dolphin screen as an option.

I had to reframe my expectations during the Hamilton years to get any sort of enjoyment out of the sport (outside of 2016 and 2017, of course). So I started really paying attention to the midfield battles and that expanded my enjoyment overall. I learned a while back that if I'm only paying attention to the front, shit can get real real boring, real quick.
All of this. I felt the same way about Hamilton during Merc's super dominant period.... but now I secretly root for him.

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
If you want to find more to watch and root for, start playing the fantasy league. It makes you pay attention to the whole field every race and then scrutinize how you think everyone is going to do the next race weekend.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Mercs track maps for 2022 vs 2023, seems the mixed up T14-15 on the 2023 one... and made it uglier/harder to read.

Faster in the mid-high speed corners and slower at low speed.

hans611

Lost
Some corner speed changes dont make that much sense.... proably the 2022 numbers where guesstimating as they had no data for the new cars, and the 2023 numbers are way more realistic, using last years actual data....

Anyways, wanted to share, found on reddit.... GOAT:

1677685510035.png

It would be so amazing if that Aston is really as fast as they say, a little bit of luck, and he could win a race... Kinda like Kimi in 2018, magical

torga

Autocross Champion
my mans stopped smiling after 2015, RIP

hans611

Lost
He was not happy in his second stint in Renault (for obvious reasons) or in the Ferrari after 2011... He got so close in 2010, it sure looked like he could win at least one WDC from Vettel.... but no, so much bad luck and that ferrari-dog, by 2013 it was obvious Ferrari was a broken team and needed time before they could be WCC material.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I still find it hilarious that Ferrari has managed to not win the WDC since Kimi barely won in 2007.

torga

Autocross Champion
I still find it hilarious that Ferrari has managed to not win the WDC since Kimi barely won in 2007.

God, and they were just there to pick up the pieces from two monumental McEgos clashing. Not saying this to diminish Ferrari's reliability and Kimi's skills, but it's true.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
God, and they were just there to pick up the pieces from two monumental McEgos clashing. Not saying this to diminish Ferrari's reliability and Kimi's skills, but it's true.
Man, if Ham kept it out of the gravel in China 2007, he would've won the WDC, (assuming all other things being the same). Kimi would probably have 2-3 WDCs if McLaren didn't give him a glass cannon, but still incredibly lucky with how 2007 panned out. It's interesting how one result can be the difference in the whole seasons outcome.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Still only Thursday, but it looks like Merc brought a noticeably smaller rear wing.

hans611

Lost
It seems all the cars are going to be running considerably smaller rear wings that last years race at Bahrain... the cars most be making a lot more downforce....

The floor/diffuser changes for 2023 seemed to have been just right, the proposing is basically gone and the cars seems to have gained 1-2s, we will know for sure later this weekend lol
They even dropped the minimum weight by 2kg... the engines are now fully frozen though, with modifications only allowed after PU failures and very limited to just reliability.

All the performance from now until 2026 will come from the car, like it was 2007-2013 when they froze the V8...

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I personally liked how the engine freeze brought about innovation in other aspects of the car in those V8 years (although engine mapping was customizable). Now they've locked ECU revisions from 5 per season, to run what you brung from race one onwards.