GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
"Gentlemen, a short view back to the past".... Last 10 laps of the 2014 Bahrain GP. Wild that the Mercs straight up fucked off, gapped the field by 4 seconds in the first lap and 15 seconds within 5 laps (all while racing one another). It makes RB's current gap to the field not look too bad, but at least Mercedes had two drivers that were more closely matched.

Edit: FU FOM, worth the watch IMO

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
"Gentlemen, a short view back to the past".... Last 10 laps of the 2014 Bahrain GP. Wild that the Mercs straight up fucked off, gapped the field by 4 seconds in the first lap and 15 seconds within 5 laps (all while racing one another). It makes RB's current gap to the field not look too bad, but at least Mercedes had two drivers that were more closely matched.

Edit: FU FOM, worth the watch IMO
and two drivers that were allowed to race wheel to wheel even after they wrecked each other lmao

hans611

Lost
Notice how Paddy Lowe was handling all the coms, probably screaming at all the engineers.... he was known for having a temper, back then Toto was clearly not the boss... Remember even though he had an amateur racing carear as a driver, kind of like Horner actually, he got to the Merc management as a board executive... and he was probably way over his head back then... How quickly he became the Toto we know.

That was cool to watch, cant believe its about to be a decade, seems like yesterday. Those Force Indias (now Aston Martin) where on fire... loved how Alonso was happy punching the air after dragging that shitty Ferrari to 9th.....

Also I had forgotten how much cars used to lock up, since the new rules, the 18in tires and harder suspension, it basically now just locks up once and that destroys the tire as it hits the flat spot every time after that, they where much more forgiving back then...

After this experience, when it was time for Toto to choose a new driver he just choose Bottas lol...

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
I'm enjoying seeing Alonso spoil the pecking order of the big 3. (And Stroll once he has a trouble free race) I'm also hoping we get some Max and Perez battles the same way we had Nico and Lewis battles

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'm enjoying seeing Alonso spoil the pecking order of the big 3. (And Stroll once he has a trouble free race) I'm also hoping we get some Max and Perez battles the same way we had Nico and Lewis battles
I expect to see Alonso thoroughly beat Stroll throughout the season.

I'm not going to hold my breath on Max vs. Checho either, I like Perez, but he's not on Max's level. He needs to stop being the nice guy, and take every advantage he can. Max clearly was going to try to get the fastest lap in Jeddah... regardless of what the team said to do. I don't like him for many reasons, but if RB can keep any advantage over the field, he's has a bunch of wins/WDCs in the pipeline.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
I expect to see Alonso thoroughly beat Stroll throughout the season.

I'm not going to hold my breath on Max vs. Checho either, I like Perez, but he's not on Max's level. He needs to stop being the nice guy, and take every advantage he can. Max clearly was going to try to get the fastest lap in Jeddah... regardless of what the team said to do. I don't like him for many reasons, but if RB can keep any advantage over the field, he's has a bunch of wins/WDCs in the pipeline.
The fact that he didn't go for the fastest (faster?) lap at the end tells you all you need to know.

Everyone knew Max was going to go for the fastest lap, I don't understand why Perez didn't try to put up a response to it, or he thought his fastest lap would be good enough?

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
i honestly cannot get over just how damn good this car looks.

1679673998031.png

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
The fact that he didn't go for the fastest (faster?) lap at the end tells you all you need to know.

Everyone knew Max was going to go for the fastest lap, I don't understand why Perez didn't try to put up a response to it, or he thought his fastest lap would be good enough?
Perez is currently playing the team game, but he's also out of contract at the end of the year. So will he play second fiddle to try and probably(?) maintain his seat at RB? Or, does he let it all hang out, ignore team orders and do whatever he can to win the championship, thus possibly jeopardizing his future with the team?

RB could still (probably) be the team to beat next year, but RB might not have the clear sailing it looks like they'll have most of this season. I'd rather only have to beat one driver for the WDC, not multiple drivers; such as Aston/Merc/Ferrari getting it together and bringing a season long challenge, Perez can definitely say goodbye to any chance of a WDC again.

Realistically, Perez' best bet is to hope Max has more reliability issues than him this year and capitalizes on those opportunities with wins, he then also needs to be P2 every time Max is P1. A monumental task.

The Aston is definitely at the top of my list. It looks so good.

torga

Autocross Champion
Perez is currently playing the team game, but he's also out of contract at the end of the year. So will he play second fiddle to try and probably(?) maintain his seat at RB? Or, does he let it all hang out, ignore team orders and do whatever he can to win the championship, thus possibly jeopardizing his future with the team?

RB could still (probably) be the team to beat next year, but RB might not have the clear sailing it looks like they'll have most of this season. I'd rather only have to beat one driver for the WDC, not multiple drivers; such as Aston/Merc/Ferrari getting it together and bringing a season long challenge, Perez can definitely say goodbye to any chance of a WDC again.

Realistically, Perez' best bet is to hope Max has more reliability issues than him this year and capitalizes on those opportunities with wins, he then also needs to be P2 every time Max is P1. A monumental task.

The Aston is definitely at the top of my list. It looks so good.

Just go out in a blaze of glory and immediately retire. You can't fire me, I quit. Then he just joins Rosberg with his occasional commentating, and they get to say, "we beat Hamilton/Verstappen in equal machinery".
Won't happen, but that would be a great future imo.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Formula Verstappen has made it back to the land down under.

We get the 4th DRS zone they removed last year, lol. Safety aside, I almost wish they'd bring back being able to use DRS whenever you wanted in free practice and qualy.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
We get the 4th DRS zone they removed last year, lol. Safety aside, I almost wish they'd bring back being able to use DRS whenever you wanted in free practice and qualy.

Speaking of DRS, how about whenever and wherever the drivers want to use it starting on lap 1? Or maybe everyone gets DRS to use immediately at the start of the race wherever they choose and for the entirety of the race EXCEPT the leader of the race? If you're leading you have no DRS. None. Nada. Just a thought

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Speaking of DRS, how about whenever and wherever the drivers want to use it starting on lap 1? Or maybe everyone gets DRS to use immediately at the start of the race wherever they choose and for the entirety of the race EXCEPT the leader of the race? If you're leading you have no DRS. None. Nada. Just a thought
I feel that DRS should be available between lap 1 and 2. Australia for example; Lap 1, they cross the detection zone 2 between T12-13, DRS is available on the upcoming main straight.

As for the leader not getting DRS, they normally don't have it unless they are passing lap traffic. Which I find dumb, you're clearly way faster and they have to get out of your way.

Allow full use of it all the time, if you wanna keep the wing open through a sketch fast corner and you can hang on, good on ya.
Agreed, but they'd never let that happen due to safety concerns.