GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
And while I'm at it, let's get rid of blue flags. There should never exist a blue flag in any motorsport let alone F1. For one, everyone out there is racing. (Even the last place driver is driving for his job) A driver needs to slow down and pullover for a car that's obviously faster than it if they're at the point to lap you? It's racing. There shouldn't be any slowing down. And for two, it would make for much more exciting racing having the leaders come up on the back markers having to find there way thru like in other racing series. No more blue flags!

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Agreed, but they'd never let that happen due to safety concerns.
I think the drivers would know where they can and can't get away with using the DRS while keeping the car on track

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
And while I'm at it, let's get rid of blue flags. There should never exist a blue flag in any motorsport let alone F1. For one, everyone out there is racing. (Even the last place driver is driving for his job) A driver needs to slow down and pullover for a car that's obviously faster than it if they're at the point to lap you? It's racing. There shouldn't be any slowing down. And for two, it would make for much more exciting racing having the leaders come up on the back markers having to find there way thru like in other racing series. No more blue flags!
Please tell me of a series that doesn't use blue flags bc I cannot think of one.

Even NASCAR and lower oval divisions use the blue with a yellow stripe flag to let you know the leaders are coming and to move aside.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Please tell me of a series that doesn't use blue flags bc I cannot think of one.
For the record I never said there's a series that doesn't use a "blue flag." Begrudgingly I'll admit that the blue flag serves somewhat of a purpose but I don't like how it's implemented and what's expected of a driver being given the blue flag in F1. In F1 you are REQUIRED to slow and or make room. Get off the driving line. Get out of the way. And I don't like it. Sometimes those backmarkers are in a tight battle with other backmarkers. Anyone who's watched F1 has seen this. I like how the blue flag is used in WEC for example. It's really only to tell slower cars that quicker cars are coming. It's nothing more than a heads-up. They aren't required to slowdown, move over or even get off the driving line. Just that they're coming.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
That's a safety thing in WEC to have the GT and P2 cars keep racing and the Hypercars key their way through.

The GT and P2 cars move and change directions much slower and can't react quicker than the LMDh/Hypercars can.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
That's a safety thing in WEC to have the GT and P2 cars keep racing and the Hypercars key their way through.

The GT and P2 cars move and change directions much slower and can't react quicker than the LMDh/Hypercars can.
I agree with the above quote. But also to be a little more clear, you're good with a Formula 1 driver not just being shown a blue flag as a 'heads up" but being required to "move, get out tha way" If you are so be it there's no wrong answer. I just think it would make for more exciting racing if the leaders had to pass like everyone else.

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
I agree with the above quote. But also to be a little more clear, you're good with a Formula 1 driver not just being shown a blue flag as a 'heads up" but being required to "move, get out tha way" If you are so be it there's no wrong answer. I just think it would make for more exciting racing if the leaders had to pass like everyone else.
Yes, absolutely. Especially if they're just tooling around by themselves.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Oh and speaking of the "hypercars." They're gorgeous

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Merc Aussie Track maps.

hans611

Lost
Probably because 2022 was the first year of the "ground effect" regulations, and they guessed a bit... and the ones for 2023 are more realistic

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'd agree, they had no idea where they'd be last year. Now they know where they were at and where the car is now. T6 in 2022 shows 135kph, theres no way in hell they were going through that corner that slow. 2023's 215kph is far more representative.