GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Wider grid boxes and a centerline for drivers to reference. Impressed by the FIA to implement this so quickly.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Speaking of DRS, how about whenever and wherever the drivers want to use it starting on lap 1? Or maybe everyone gets DRS to use immediately at the start of the race wherever they choose and for the entirety of the race EXCEPT the leader of the race? If you're leading you have no DRS. None. Nada. Just a thought

How about a convoluted system where you are allowed a certain amount of DRS per lap, your wing can be open for a max of 25 seconds say, you can use that 25 seconds split up wherever you want. :D

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
How about a convoluted system where you are allowed a certain amount of DRS per lap, your wing can be open for a max of 25 seconds say, you can use that 25 seconds split up wherever you want. :D
Nah, we need stage racing and overtime (with a sponsor). That should be convoluted enough. Oh, and "push to pass". :cool:

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
DTM had a version of it where you could use it 20 times per race at your discretion but once you've used it 20 times you can't for the rest of the race

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I personally liked the older KERS system where the driver has an extra 80ish hp for 6-7 seconds per lap.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
What I'm floating is the exact opposite of convoluted. DRS for everyone (except the leader of the race) whenever and wherever a driver chooses. And no penalties for not pulling over for blue flags

hans611

Lost
DRS was allowed at any point during practice and qualifying when it first came out in 2011... that was stopped the following year, because of safety, and thats the reason its restricted to zones: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...-to-official-zones-in-practice-and-qualifying

Pre-DRS DRS used to be much unsafer, the F duct on the Renault with Kubica... notice his left hand coming off the steering wheel, and driving one handed?

There is a hole in the cockpit he is covering up, the way it worked was that air channel will change pressure and though a bunch of other air tunnels eventually send air to the rear wing and stall it.... He even has a special glove to seal the hole better lol... Mclaren started it..

https://www.racecar-engineering.com...-do-they-work-f1-2010-formula-one-technology/

But Mercedes gets the cake with the double DRS, that was crazy:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/banned-the-mercedes-f1-teams-double-drs-device-4982943/4982943/

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Nah, we need stage racing and overtime (with a sponsor). That should be convoluted enough. Oh, and "push to pass". :cool:

I would LOVE to see some races with reverse starting grid, fastest at the back. Wonder if we would suddenly see a lot of SLOW qually laps. LMAO

What I'm floating is the exact opposite of convoluted. DRS for everyone (except the leader of the race) whenever and wherever a driver chooses. And no penalties for not pulling over for blue flags

It would be anarchy!!!! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA! :ROFLMAO:

I know what you were saying, I was offering an alternative and building on others. Frankly, I just want to see them race. If you're faster, you're faster....no need for a system to let you be faster when you need it just so you can pass someone else you couldn't without the system.....or game the slower car in front of you to gain an advantage on the faster car behind you.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
I remember the Kubica move. I didn't remember them using DRS all over the track during practice and qualifying. (I've got shit for memory) And here I thought the drivers would know when and where they can use it. She's a tempting mistress that DRS

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
DRS was allowed at any point during practice and qualifying when it first came out in 2011... that was stopped the following year, because of safety, and thats the reason its restricted to zones: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...-to-official-zones-in-practice-and-qualifying

Pre-DRS DRS used to be much unsafer, the F duct on the Renault with Kubica... notice his left hand coming off the steering wheel, and driving one handed?

There is a hole in the cockpit he is covering up, the way it worked was that air channel will change pressure and though a bunch of other air tunnels eventually send air to the rear wing and stall it.... He even has a special glove to seal the hole better lol... Mclaren started it..

https://www.racecar-engineering.com...-do-they-work-f1-2010-formula-one-technology/

But Mercedes gets the cake with the double DRS, that was crazy:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/banned-the-mercedes-f1-teams-double-drs-device-4982943/4982943/
Love me some F-duct and double DRS, engineering gold.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Turns 9 and 10 are amazing. Would like to see that in person.
Maybe just maybe the Mercedes boys can out strategize Max? (Don't see it happening)
Alonso and Aston are here to stay. (To the dismay of Ferrari)
Happy for Albon (more so for Williams) making P8.
And Hulk still being Hulk. Been doing it for years. Outdriving the cars he's given and grabbing a P10.

hans611

Lost
Interesting bit regarding the mercedes handling struggles and Hamilton's view:

The cockpit of the W14, just like that of its predecessor, is further forward than that of other cars. This is part of its aerodynamic concept, what has made it possible to expose its upper side impact structure and so use it to direct the airflow to the floor edges. But it also makes for an unusual feeling, as Hamilton explained: “We sit closer to the front wheels than all the other drivers. Our cockpit is too close to the front. When you’re driving you feel like you’re sitting on the front wheels, which is one of the worst feelings.
“What that does is it really changes the attitude of the car and how you perceive its movement. And it makes it harder to predict compared to when you’re further back and sitting more centred. It is just something I have really struggled with.”

Back in the day Nelson Piquet used to complain to Gordon Murray about the same thing in the very long, very cockpit-forwards Brabham BT48. When the rear slid, he was late feeling it. It’s compounded in the case of the Mercedes because of its dynamics – ie what it’s actually doing rather than just what it feels like. As Hamilton describes it, its centre of aero pressure (the aerodynamic equivalent of the weight distribution) is moving forwards a lot as it is braked, giving a sensation of rear instability. But as he comes off the brakes and the car levels out, the centre of pressure is moving a long way rearwards – too far, making it difficult to get good rotation into the corner. So it has the worst of both worlds: rear instability under braking but a reluctance then to turn. So more steering lock is needed which, when the car finally grips up, pivots the car into oversteer mid-corner.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...drum-so-far-forward-hes-behind-f1-rivals-mph/

Also, this is the Brabham BT48.... yeah, I kind of get Piquet's pain... it's like a bus:

1680401012915.png

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Flame away but I thought it was a good race. Plenty of action up and down the lineup. Every constructor has at least a point for the season and only two drivers without. Now starts the month off