GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Saved $900 this weekend with 3 hours of work pulling 2015 GTI front bumper to fix fog light

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
She hit a small animal, it exploded the support structure that hold the fog light in place. The fog light was actually not broken, but just loose behind the grill. Body shop want $1,000 to fix. the support was $64 from VW.

Succes

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
The body shop didn't want to deal with it(probably)...that's why the threw $1,000 cost at you, or they assumed the fog light needed replaced....They are something like $500-600 alone from VW. Kudos for the fixing it yourself.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I could probably look this up, but since you were just under there I was curious if you feel you could pull the fog lights without pulling the bumper. I need to replace my Lamin-X and am considering just putting a sheet over the entire lens this time around.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Glad to see you tried it yourself. Removing the bumper on this car to do work really isnt hard at all, the only issue is people just assume they cant do it so they never try.

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
I could probably look this up, but since you were just under there I was curious if you feel you could pull the fog lights without pulling the bumper. I need to replace my Lamin-X and am considering just putting a sheet over the entire lens this time around.
yes you can. the fog light assembly is held in by 2 notches and one t=15 screw........can get it by removing the wheel liner.

I had to replace the structure that all bolted in to. so bumper had to come off.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
You sure can. I had to replace mine a few months ago. There is a little panel in the wheel well that allows access to the area around the fog light

goblues38

Ready to race!
Car(s)
20 GTI & 15 GTI
You sure can. I had to replace mine a few months ago. There is a little panel in the wheel well that allows access to the area around the fog light
no you can't...the fog light is a huge assembly...not just a bulb (LED models)....nothing will fit through that hole in the fender well.

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
no you can't...the fog light is a huge assembly...not just a bulb (LED models)....nothing will fit through that hole in the fender well.
A fog light can.....

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Hmmmmm now that I think about it, I may be completely wrong. I switched my fog light out a few months ago and I don't remember needing to take the wheel liner out. Damnit, I'm going to have to check after work now

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
Great work!! Love to see posts like this where people do the work themselves instead of getting overcharged at the stealership!