GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Say Goodbye to the Volkswagen Golf R in 2020

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
As someone in the market for a 18 R, I just wonder what it means for prices. Will it keep dropping at its usual rate or will it remain stagnant?

I was looking at pricing history on cargurus and it looked like it took 16s and 17s about 18-19 months to drop to 33k, which is kinda where I'm trying to be. Right now the 18s are just a couple months away from being out for 18 months. Been seeing a lot of manuals in the 34.5-35k range, but all the dsgs have literally been 38k+.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
As someone in the market for a 18 R, I just wonder what it means for prices. Will it keep dropping at its usual rate or will it remain stagnant?

I was looking at pricing history on cargurus and it looked like it took 16s and 17s about 18-19 months to drop to 33k, which is kinda where I'm trying to be. Right now the 18s are just a couple months away from being out for 18 months. Been seeing a lot of manuals in the 34.5-35k range, but all the dsgs have literally been 38k+.

I'd suspect it will follow the normal depreciation curve. DSG cars are more in demand, although I'm surprised they are commanding that much of a premium over the 6MTs.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'd suspect it will follow the normal depreciation curve. DSG cars are more in demand, although I'm surprised they are commanding that much of a premium over the 6MTs.

The best priced dsg in 500 miles of me is $36k with about 10k miles, which isn't too bad. It's just that it's in Miami, and it's black. I don't think I trust a car from Miami, and I don't want black. The rest are between 38-39.9k.

Then a few pretty well priced manuals between 34.5k and 35.3k.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
No wonder that VW has pumped more 2019 Rs to their dealer inventory. Infact, some dealers have more brand new Rs in stock than GTIs.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Not to be a downer but just hope they bring it back for 2021. I'm sure they will be testing the demand for it next year. I know they already committed to bringing the GTI/R to the US with the MK8 but things can change.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
The best priced dsg in 500 miles of me is $36k with about 10k miles, which isn't too bad. It's just that it's in Miami, and it's black. I don't think I trust a car from Miami, and I don't want black. The rest are between 38-39.9k.

Then a few pretty well priced manuals between 34.5k and 35.3k.

Bought a CPO 2018 R DSG with 6,100 miles last month for $36k.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Not to be a downer but just hope they bring it back for 2021. I'm sure they will be testing the demand for it next year. I know they already committed to bringing the GTI/R to the US with the MK8 but things can change.

I don’t think that’s the case.

The R is made in Germany. Golf production is moving back to Germany. It’s not practical to make the MK7 and MK8 at the same time.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
I saw this article posted 7 different ways with varied levels of click bait titles today. Come on folks.

VW Germany is retooling their plant for the MK8 production, therefore MK7.5 models will no longer be produced. No surprise.

We also know/knew that the US likely wouldn't see the GTI until 2020 and the R likely a year later in 2021 just because R.

No one should say "goodbye" to anything. This happens every generation.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Very hard to find a good chicken little animated gif.

I'm just hopeful that the wagens come back. Damn they're getting capable.

We got soooo close to the absolute pinnacle ultimate hipster car with the mk7 generation.
Roofboxed Brown AWD Manual Diesel Wagon. Jesus, I felt it move just typing those words. The automotive equivalent combo of Fedora Beard Skinny Jeans Elbowpads Ascot and Thick Frame Glasses.

Stupid dieselgate. Now it'll never happen.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Everyone loves a good click bait title. Basically the Golf R will go on hiatus after next year until the Gen 8 R comes out.

https://jalopnik.com/dead-for-now-volkswagen-golf-r-1837027398

I have no crystal ball but:

So I bet the Golf R comes back for the 2021 market.. in late 2020 and a limited release. It will have 320ish HP in the US market and be in Manual and DSG versions will full car Wi-fi service in additional to all the other bells and whistles. The car will still be a hatch but look less hatch like (see the photos). I am betting they will be making the front end look more like the Jetta...

We will see crazy mark-ups the first year, and second year some mark-ups.. then third year you will be able to get it at MSRP.

I also predict a hybrid electrical, still at around 300hp trim released in year 3 or 4 at 5k more.

For me, this means at 4 years of owning my '19 (bought last month) I will be looking to trade a 78k miles paid off golf r for a new one, if I can find a dsg with the color I like not above msrp.