GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search for RWD Track/Weekend Car (70k Budget)

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Thinking about trading in the GTI next year or the year after, for something new.

Looking for a RWD that is track ready, fun to drive, comes in a manual, and is below 70k.

Considering the MX-5 Club RF, Shelby GT350, and the M2 Competition.

What else should I look at?

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I'm not a big american/muscle car person either. Only reason I'm considering the GT350 is due to the price and track readiness. I've heard good things about the Camaro, but not sure I can convince myself to own one.

bentin

Autocross Champion
The GT350 oil consumption scares me, as does tracking something that heavy, and from what I've seen, a Camaro will clean it's clock at nearly any track. The Miata would obviously have the most support and biggest class, I had an NB and have driven a few Spec Miatas on track and they're absolutely more fun and more capable than I expected. I've seen them humiliate much more expensive cars time and time again. Depending on your sense of adventure and how much you want to use it as a real car, what about a Caterham?

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Can pick up a lotus exige well under 70k

Was thinking about the Exige. You can find them occasionally on Bring A Trailer, just not sure how easy it is to find parts, etc. They look like a ton of fun!

The GT350 oil consumption scares me, as does tracking something that heavy, and from what I've seen, a Camaro will clean it's clock at nearly any track. The Miata would obviously have the most support and biggest class, I had an NB and have driven a few Spec Miatas on track and they're absolutely more fun and more capable than I expected. I've seen them humiliate much more expensive cars time and time again. Depending on your sense of adventure and how much you want to use it as a real car, what about a Caterham?

Didn't realize there were oil consumption issues with the GT350 (they are only marginally heavier than the M2 surprisingly @ 3760 lbs vs. 3600 for M2). The Caterhams are sweet, just not sure it would be realistic for anything outside of track days. NE weather is pretty rough at times. (I do have an SUV that is pulling full time winter duty)

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
The M2 has crank problems. A guy I was parked next to at the track a couple weeks ago had to have his M2 towed home because of it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Yeah, if you want the crank issues, M3 and M4 are lighter than the M2 and a few used ones have the keyed fix. Depending on your track(s) the longer wheel base can be a benefit too.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Ouch... The list is getting narrower. Lol. Leaning towards a Miata. Also the cheapest option. Just saying.
Having tracked heavier cars, and lighter cars, it's hard to overstate just how much cheaper light cars are to track. Brakes, fluids, differentials, tires, bushings, almost everything just lasts longer and also costs less with lighter cars. Plus convertibles have wildly cheaper rear fenders as you don't need to cut the c-pillar and reweld like you do with fixed roof cars should you have a little track contact, and in general, Miata parts are just dirt cheap compared to almost anything. Aside from their appetite for transmissions, the Spec RX7 class looks like a lot of fun with FA RX7's, I doubt it's much cheaper than Spec Miata, but you can carry spare motors in the pax seat if needed.

I really hope the next gen GT86 fixes the motor, the current one would be a fun track car aside from that miserable torque dip. It's annoying on the street and infuriating on the track. Well that and the fact that their port injection likes to lean out on track and nuke the awful motor.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Having tracked heavier cars, and lighter cars, it's hard to overstate just how much cheaper light cars are to track. Brakes, fluids, differentials, tires, bushings, almost everything just lasts longer and also costs less with lighter cars. Plus convertibles have wildly cheaper rear fenders as you don't need to cut the c-pillar and reweld like you do with fixed roof cars should you have a little track contact, and in general, Miata parts are just dirt cheap compared to almost anything. Aside from their appetite for transmissions, the Spec RX7 class looks like a lot of fun with FA RX7's, I doubt it's much cheaper than Spec Miata, but you can carry spare motors in the pax seat if needed.

I really hope the next gen GT86 fixes the motor, the current one would be a fun track car aside from that miserable torque dip. It's annoying on the street and infuriating on the track. Well that and the fact that their port injection likes to lean out on track and nuke the awful motor.

Great advice. Thanks for the wisdom. Am definitely leaning toward the Miata. The '19 and '20 both have improved redline and a bit more HP (higher up) with improved internals. The GT86 and BRZs seem like great track cars; but just so underpowered. The Supra also looks cool, but is heavy (and AT only).

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

I laughed out loud. I'm starting to figure that out...