GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search for RWD Track/Weekend Car (70k Budget)

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
I actually just had this conversation with another member. I went with a 6mt, and ive always driven manual transmission cars, but for the first time in my life I regret not going DSG on the MK7 platform.
There are definitely a lot of advantages to the DSG (and not many for the MT, to be quite honest, lol) but I still for some reason prefer driving manual. Maybe its something I will grow out of, but for now, I am firmly in the MT camp = )

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
There are definitely a lot of advantages to the DSG (and not many for the MT, to be quite honest, lol) but I still for some reason prefer driving manual. Maybe its something I will grow out of, but for now, I am firmly in the MT camp = )

I'm 34, owned... geeze... ~19 MT cars, and one automatic tacoma in my life. I am still FIRMLY in the MT camp despite the DSG advantages. I'm hanging on!

Just did some reading on the Voodoo flat plane crank V8 in the Shelby Gt350... crazy how much oil they consume, but probably my favorite sounding factory V8 currently. Tough call OP... tough call here indeed.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
I'm 34, owned... geeze... ~19 MT cars, and one automatic tacoma in my life. I am still FIRMLY in the MT camp despite the DSG advantages. I'm hanging on!

Just did some reading on the Voodoo flat plane crank V8 in the Shelby Gt350... crazy how much oil they consume, but probably my favorite sounding factory V8 currently. Tough call OP... tough call here indeed.
Just love the character of that engine. I feel like you need to own something like that at least once in your life, just for the pure joy it brings everytime you drive it. Sounds like the oil consumption is still there on the 2020s, but greatly reduced. Definitely still a contender.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
On track, the dsg can get frustrating because the flappy paddles don't respond as quickly as the gear stalk. In slow corners where I need to drop to 2nd gear and then shift as I'm powering out, I slide one hand to the gear stalk because it saves me that two tenths.

The diff makes a substantial difference. If I were you, I'd look into a proper lsd to add before jumping to a new car. It's not a cheap endeavor, but it's the most worthwhile for a track car beyond brakes/tires/alignment.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Just love the character of that engine. I feel like you need to own something like that at least once in your life, just for the pure joy it brings everytime you drive it. Sounds like the oil consumption is still there on the 2020s, but greatly reduced. Definitely still a contender.
I agree. Everyone should also own at least one high revving v8 and one generally high revving engine. It's intoxicating. My 370z was not as fast as the gti in a straight line, but it was so much more enjoyable to drive and far more thrilling when it's shrieking at 7k rpm and still has another 1k to go. Also, it had one of the best steering and manual transmissions I've driven. I want another one, but I hate spending 2k on tires and 1400 on brakes :(.

Those mustangs get crazy hot, and I'm not surprised at the oil consumption. I know a few guys with stock ones saying they see 300* oil temps...

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
On track, the dsg can get frustrating because the flappy paddles don't respond as quickly as the gear stalk. In slow corners where I need to drop to 2nd gear and then shift as I'm powering out, I slide one hand to the gear stalk because it saves me that two tenths.

The diff makes a substantial difference. If I were you, I'd look into a proper lsd to add before jumping to a new car. It's not a cheap endeavor, but it's the most worthwhile for a track car beyond brakes/tires/alignment.
I seriously considered adding the wavetrack when having the clutch replaced but decided against it. Just didn't want to risk introducing any issues that may have accompanied it. My mechanic also advised against it based on their prior experience with mechanical diffs in these cars. Had to draw the line somewhere.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I seriously considered adding the wavetrack when having the clutch replaced but decided against it. Just didn't want to risk introducing any issues that may have accompanied it. My mechanic also advised against it based on their prior experience with mechanical diffs in these cars. Had to draw the line somewhere.
I was smacking myself for not putting an LSD in sooner. It's one of my favorite mods, been going strong for years

Thumper

Autocross Champion

There are infinite advantages to the DSG if your sole goal is to go fast, the MT is archaic and slow. The DSG's only downside is the MT's only upside when talking about a car that is more for the track than anything else and that's weight and maintenance. If you are going to be tracking on a budget the MT is the way to go, one less thing to need expensive regular maintenance and a high cost if it detonates. As you can note from my sig, I went MT for my eventual race car but my "must go fast" car is a DSG, and would be even if they had offered it in MT.

If you are thinking Miata you would be amiss if you didn't consider the same exact car with a bit more personality. The Fiat 124 Abarth. As Hamster put it.......if you want the best Miata there is, get the Fiat 124 Abarth. An Italian car, built by the Japanese, it's got everything.

https://www.fiatusa.com/spider.html

:cool:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
There are infinite advantages to the DSG if your sole goal is to go fast, the MT is archaic and slow. The DSG's only downside is the MT's only upside when talking about a car that is more for the track than anything else and that's weight and maintenance. If you are going to be tracking on a budget the MT is the way to go, one less thing to need expensive regular maintenance and a high cost if it detonates. As you can note from my sig, I went MT for my eventual race car but my "must go fast" car is a DSG, and would be even if they had offered it in MT.

If you are thinking Miata you would be amiss if you didn't consider the same exact car with a bit more personality. The Fiat 124 Abarth. As Hamster put it.......if you want the best Miata there is, get the Fiat 124 Abarth. An Italian car, built by the Japanese, it's got everything.

Good points about the MT! The Fiat 124 Spider is a cool little car. Not sure if you saw the Grand Tour episode where Richard Hammond featured the car. He seemed to really like it.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion

Yeah, but I think the difference between DSG and MT on a race track isn't all that great as on many tracks you're just not shifting all that much. I don't have a hatred for modern automatic transmissions and I'm sure I'd be plenty happy with a DSG or PDK or even a well sorted traditional torque converted gearbox, but the lower weight and simplicity of a manual is appreciated for track use. On a hot day DSG is yet another thing that can get too hot and slow you down.

bentin

Autocross Champion
I'm 47 and my dad is 79, we both drive manuals. Don't give in, it's a sham!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah, but I think the difference between DSG and MT on a race track isn't all that great as on many tracks you're just not shifting all that much. I don't have a hatred for modern automatic transmissions and I'm sure I'd be plenty happy with a DSG or PDK or even a well sorted traditional torque converted gearbox, but the lower weight and simplicity of a manual is appreciated for track use. On a hot day DSG is yet another thing that can get too hot and slow you down.
With the dsg you can afford to downshift to second on slow corners where in a Mt it's more costly and you never would. The dsg also has a gearing advantage. Combined, I think they're worth about 5/10ths on a 2.5mi course. The mk7 dsg doesn't seem to overheat on track for me, but the engine sure does.

I'd still rather have a MT, but just not the one found in the mk7 platform.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
With the dsg you can afford to downshift to second on slow corners where in a Mt it's more costly and you never would. The dsg also has a gearing advantage. Combined, I think they're worth about 5/10ths on a 2.5mi course. The mk7 dsg doesn't seem to overheat on track for me, but the engine sure does.

I'd still rather have a MT, but just not the one found in the mk7 platform.
I don't think you're gaining anything by downshifting to second on virtually any road course, particularly when these cars make so much power in the mid range. Even at Road Atlanta turn 7, which is fairly slow for a road course, I'm in third; if I downshifted to second I'd have to upshift again before I've straightened out the car.

But if you have DSG and it can up-shift as fast as it does it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to downshift to second.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
SS 1LE would suffice. Should be the right amount of car for my skill level. ZL1 when i'm at Randy Pobst's level.