GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search for RWD Track/Weekend Car (70k Budget)

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Just keep in mind if the lotus has a fender bender you replace that side of the clam, which will run you 10-15k for the clam and 5k for prepping, fitting, painting.

Sidenote: I'm working on a 370z racecar. Need some final details from seller and the deal is through... 320whp, 5:50 weight distribution, 6spd, under 3k lbs, full roll cage, seats, harnesses, custom setup 2 way suspension, plenty of spares. The z brakes run 338$ for a pair of rotor rings (this is less than most rings per side!) and 185$ for brake pads (vs 320 for gti pp), but tires are 295/305 19s so they're double the gti cost...

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Been poking around the Lotus forum. Quite a few VERY nice cars available there:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/lotus-cars-for-sale.94/
Been on there quite a bit. Trying to convince myself to wait until it gets warmer here since I can't drive it right now anyway, but may be worth jumping on. There have also been quite a few well sorted Exiges on BaT and WireWheel that have been very tempting.

Edit: Also hoping to throw my annual bonus at it so I don't have to finance.

EDIT: Edit: If they give annual bonuses this year... lol.

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Just keep in mind if the lotus has a fender bender you replace that side of the clam, which will run you 10-15k for the clam and 5k for prepping, fitting, painting.

Sidenote: I'm working on a 370z racecar. Need some final details from seller and the deal is through... 320whp, 5:50 weight distribution, 6spd, under 3k lbs, full roll cage, seats, harnesses, custom setup 2 way suspension, plenty of spares. The z brakes run 338$ for a pair of rotor rings (this is less than most rings per side!) and 185$ for brake pads (vs 320 for gti pp), but tires are 295/305 19s so they're double the gti cost...

Yeah (RE: clam), thus no wheel to wheel racing. Just a risk you have to be willing to accept with these cars.

Post some pics of the z once you close the deal. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah (RE: clam), thus no wheel to wheel racing. Just a risk you have to be willing to accept with these cars.

Post some pics of the z once you close the deal. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!
IMG_20201009_152910_01.jpg
IMG_20201009_152750_01.jpg
PXL_20201008_123720785.MP.jpg
123_1 (1).jpeg

36 hrs of towing to pick it up and bring it back. Sidenote, the Q7 makes for a killer tow vehicle and handled pulling over 7000lbs up a 15% grade at 70mph without any issue.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
nice! Is your Q7 a TDI, or does it have the supercharged 3.0?
Supercharged 3.0. It's a 2017. Empty trailer i got 13ish mpg going 70-72mph and loaded i got around 12. I got 10 @ 76mph but I was too tired and impatient to slow down for the extra 20% fuel efficiency. A diesel generally gives another 20-30% fuel efficiency, but overall the Q did incredibly well.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Supercharged 3.0. It's a 2017. Empty trailer i got 13ish mpg going 70-72mph and loaded i got around 12. I got 10 @ 76mph but I was too tired and impatient to slow down for the extra 20% fuel efficiency. A diesel generally gives another 20-30% fuel efficiency, but overall the Q did incredibly well.

very cool. I’ve got an Alltrack and my gf has a 2014 JSW TDI DSG. When her dieselgate warranty is up it’s getting a tune and a hitch and I’m buying a camper for us. By then, we’ll be ready to graduate from using the Alltrack as our getaway/camping car.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
very cool. I’ve got an Alltrack and my gf has a 2014 JSW TDI DSG. When her dieselgate warranty is up it’s getting a tune and a hitch and I’m buying a camper for us. By then, we’ll be ready to graduate from using the Alltrack as our getaway/camping car.
VAG did a good job with their transmissions! The q5 can tow 4400lbs and that's just nuts for a vehicle that size, weight, and engine spec. Q7 @ 7700 is on par with base versions of most mid-size pickups. I'm pretty sure your tdi is rated for like 2k, and that's plenty for a camper. There are some really sick ultralight ones that are only 1500lbs for 150sqft of space.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 188568View attachment 188569View attachment 188570View attachment 188571

36 hrs of towing to pick it up and bring it back. Sidenote, the Q7 makes for a killer tow vehicle and handled pulling over 7000lbs up a 15% grade at 70mph without any issue.
Wow, looks like a lot of fun!! Thanks for posting. When/where's the first track day? The Q7 as a tow vehicle is a sweet setup. Someday when I have the extra space, I would love to have a trailer setup. Right now it is a pipe dream.

I'm narrowing in on my purchase though. Found a clean ND1 with 15k miles on it and V5 transmission and rollbar in Denver and flying out to pick it up this weekend. Planning to road trip it back with my brother with a stop in Chicago along the way. I am pysched!

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Wow, looks like a lot of fun!! Thanks for posting. When/where's the first track day? The Q7 as a tow vehicle is a sweet setup. Someday when I have the extra space, I would love to have a trailer setup. Right now it is a pipe dream.

I'm narrowing in on my purchase though. Found a clean ND1 with 15k miles on it and V5 transmission and rollbar in Denver and flying out to pick it up this weekend. Planning to road trip it back with my brother with a stop in Chicago along the way. I am pysched!

nice...how long you staying in chicago?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Just a night. Wish I had more time. Would have been cool to get a group together for a lapping day at a local track! Any restaurant recommendations for river north?
ah cool. River North area you pretty much can't go wrong, all of the restaurants in that area are top notch. The purple pig and kinzie chophouse are amazing.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

That's a pretty car and a great choice! Can't go wrong with a miata!

I'd like to make it out to the track in a couple weeks, but I might have some family obligations keeping me. Unfortunately it's about to get cold too, so that might be the last opportunity this year :(.