GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slight rubbing noise while braking, what to look for?

wyn

Back in March I put new pads on my car, all four corners, and had the front rotors turned. All was good for about 1k miles. A couple months ago I noticed a feint rubbing noise while braking, that was more pronounced at lower speeds. It sounded like something brushing against the dust shield. I had it isolated to the RF corner. I figured it would eventually go away, and wasn't worried about it being a safety issue immediately as I couldn't feel it in any way, only hear it.

It drove me nuts, so I eventually gave in, and took the front calipers off to inspect the brakes. The only thing I found was some gunk in the split on the pads, and some dry caliper pins where the grease from EBC had turned to a bit of a coppery gunk. Defeated, I re-greased them, finished my tire rotation, and went for a test drive. I was shocked to find the noise had vanished! I attributed it to the dry caliper pins and maybe the debris that had gathered in the split of the pad.

Now, after about 100 miles, the sound is back. I'm perplexed. I've got new caliper bushings, pins, brake hardware, and rotors on the way. What else should I be looking for? It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing sound since it only happens when I'm on the brake pedal, not while turning, but maybe? Any ideas would be a great help.

Thanks!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Does it go away when you let off the brake pedal? If the bushings/pins are binding it could cause drag after you release the pedal but sounds like the noise is active while you are braking?

It's possible the resurfacing was not perfect on that rotor but not sure why it would go away after you re-greased the pins. What was the debris in the pad split? Like a rock or just pad material?

You can check the wheel bearing easily by jacking it up and spinning the wheel by hand, listening at the hub (you should do it with the wheel on first to use the rotational weight, then if you don't hear anything try again with the wheel off just to be sure).

wyn

It goes away immediately when I let off the pedal, and comes back as soon as the pads touch the rotor. The debris was all pad material, like compacted brake dust. I'll check the wheel bearings when I've got everything off doing rotors.

I ordered some higher carbon content rotors and went with the tyrolsport bushings because I prefer a stiffer pedal than what the car currently has. My gut feeling is rotors now, but I figured I would feel that in the pedal or the steering wheel?

wyn

necro af but I did eventually solve this problem this past weekend: It was brake rotors. I am not certain why the sound went away when I re-greased the pins last time, my best guess is that the pads did not settle immediately and once they did the sound came back. Eventually, a vibration DID develop under braking, almost entirely in the steering wheel. I visually inspected both rotors, and could not perceive a difference in the surface. But, immediately, the vibration and sound under brakes was gone and hasn't come back. I also checked the wheel bearings and they're good for now. Just wanted to update incase this pops up in a search for anyone.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Rotors can get contaminated, especially if you don't drive much or it sits for a time in some climates. Did your rotors seem to get rusty often, like you could notice it after it sitting a few days? Could have been something from the resurfacing as well, if they didn't clean the tool head or if it was worn out might have caused contamination.

Once it's in there, there's really no way to get rid of it except replacement. The only concerning part is if it was rotor contamination re-using the pads that were on there could be bad.....but I don't want to jinx you. :cool:

Thanks for reporting back, it's always nice to bookend these types of threads, as you said if anyone else searches. I hate stumbling on a thread that describes my exact problem and then it just dies with no conclusion and you're screaming at the monitor "WHAT WAS THE SOLUTION MAN!!!!" lol

wyn

Rotors can get contaminated, especially if you don't drive much or it sits for a time in some climates. Did your rotors seem to get rusty often, like you could notice it after it sitting a few days? Could have been something from the resurfacing as well, if they didn't clean the tool head or if it was worn out might have caused contamination.

Once it's in there, there's really no way to get rid of it except replacement. The only concerning part is if it was rotor contamination re-using the pads that were on there could be bad.....but I don't want to jinx you. :cool:

Thanks for reporting back, it's always nice to bookend these types of threads, as you said if anyone else searches. I hate stumbling on a thread that describes my exact problem and then it just dies with no conclusion and you're screaming at the monitor "WHAT WAS THE SOLUTION MAN!!!!" lol

3 weeks in and all is still good. I made sure to scuff the pads so they had a chance to re-bed. This is my daily, the car never sits for more than 2 days, usually not more than 12 hours. I had the rotors resurfaced at a parts house (I was low on time, and got a discount at the time) and think they may have not made a final pass and missed a step. It is possible some contamination could re-occur if that was the problem, but time will tell. I also do not know if they were OEM rotors, they very well may have been parts house brand rotors (car had pads from federated auto parts when I first swapped them).

All in all, a learning experience, first car that is mine and mine alone that I'm spending this much time with. Love working on it so far, way less rust than previous endeavors.