GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slightly rusting stone chips (about to buy my first GTI)

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I heard great thing about Chipex during our research.

I’m the opposite. I rarely wash my car and don’t really car if it has chips or gashes (as long as they don’t rust). I prefer the used look.

My R has the perfect look right now because I haven’t washed it in almost 3 years and 6000kms of driving. There’s more crap at the front and there’s a dirty gradient towards the back haha!

Not washing my car for almost three years would play havoc with my car OCD! 😯 🙂. It usually gets washed every couple of weeks.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I bought a touchup paint kit last year, but I still haven't used it because I'm afraid to mess it up.

It's supposedly "original factory OEM" for Dark Iron Blue Metallic. The color code is LD5G/8P. Can anyone confirm if that's right?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079MB2STV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It seems to be according to my search. Does the paint have a date on it? The bottle I received with the Dr. ColorChip kit is only good for 1 year.

Don't be afraid to mess up touch-up painting. The paint is easily removable. You can make as many attempts as you like.

Hakiroto

Car(s)
Golf GTI
I just spoke to the guy at the dealership again and he said they've done the repairs. I've never had to deal with paintwork repairs before so I've no idea what's considered acceptable but for some closure in this thread, here's the original shot I took and the repaired shot he just sent.

Original
Repaired

I guess, short of a respray, this is about as good as I can get, right? Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. I haven't seen pictures of the smaller ones they apparently also repaired but seeing as this one was by far the worst I imagine the others will be okay.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hard to tell with the lower resolution image, but it looks pretty decent. Much better than before.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I just spoke to the guy at the dealership again and he said they've done the repairs. I've never had to deal with paintwork repairs before so I've no idea what's considered acceptable but for some closure in this thread, here's the original shot I took and the repaired shot he just sent.

Original
Repaired

I guess, short of a respray, this is about as good as I can get, right? Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. I haven't seen pictures of the smaller ones they apparently also repaired but seeing as this one was by far the worst I imagine the others will be okay.

Well, that's hardly top level work - but it was a dealership so that's about as good as you're going to get. It's (presumably) now sealed the spots from getting worse, which is the most important thing. No one else but you will ever notice or care. I've got the 10 foot rule for my dailies. If it looks good from that distance, that's good enough for me because you'll drive yourself insane trying to keep it perfect.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid

Original
Repaired

Looks good to me but like someone else wrote a higher resolution photo would help or multiple at different angles.

Hakiroto

Car(s)
Golf GTI
Looks good to me but like someone else wrote a higher resolution photo would help or multiple at different angles.

Yeah, I was also hoping for better photos. I'm picking the car up in a couple of days so I'll report back then when I can actually see it for myself.