GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow guard may not actually be a snow guard

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
It is made in Mexico. "Snow" screen required for those times you want to smuggle stuff in your airbox without it getting sucked into the turbo.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
[emoji4] it seems that it's actually called " Snow Screen"

Damn... Well if it is officially called a snow screen by VW then I guess that's what it is then. I thought the whole "snow guard" thing was something that the forums came up with.

Though... not sure how snow would get into the filter box unless someone modified and cut the new grill openings and such.

But I guess that puts my theory to rest. :D

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Damn... Well if it is officially called a snow screen by VW then I guess that's what it is then. I thought the whole "snow guard" thing was something that the forums came up with.

Though... not sure how snow would get into the filter box unless someone modified and cut the new grill openings and such.

But I guess that puts my theory to rest. :D

Recently someone from up North posted a picture of the engine area after a hard snow. The air intake side was clean but the right side (driver side) had snow piled up. This is the location many MK7 owners want to cut open and allow more air in. So as the picture showed snow, rain, bugs do get up in the engine. The OE air intake design allows trash to flow thru to the engine while it sucks air off the top of the air stream.
I think VW designed the intake to pull as clean and cool an air as possible to the engine.

Roca

REVOed
Car(s)
CC
yeah I did the swiss cheese thing, or I tried lol, major fail, don't do that lol

the stock airflow is fine, then put a panel filter or any type of intake you want, as long as

the airflow stays original then no way you can get crap in the filter

FYI the swiss cheese did produce sound, but was a crappy way of doing it

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
yeah I did the swiss cheese thing, or I tried lol, major fail, don't do that lol

the stock airflow is fine, then put a panel filter or any type of intake you want, as long as

the airflow stays original then no way you can get crap in the filter

FYI the swiss cheese did produce sound, but was a crappy way of doing it

You could hum louder like the Tanner Foust commercial for the R.
Works for my GTI. Wife hates it. Says I am not in tune.

Roca

REVOed
Car(s)
CC
I just blast the musci and over rev it, makes me feel like I'm going fast in a really loud car
most of the time I'm stuck in traffic though...

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Recently someone from up North posted a picture of the engine area after a hard snow. The air intake side was clean but the right side (driver side) had snow piled up. This is the location many MK7 owners want to cut open and allow more air in. So as the picture showed snow, rain, bugs do get up in the engine. The OE air intake design allows trash to flow thru to the engine while it sucks air off the top of the air stream.
I think VW designed the intake to pull as clean and cool an air as possible to the engine.

Yeah that's what I figured. I was looking at the design and couldn't understand how snow would get in there if you didn't cut the driver side open. Which is why I figured it was for air distribution...

I guess if you cut the driver side open, you may want it in? No clue.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
So you get rid of the soundaktor and hum instead? lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's for more driver involvement. Some people just drive their car. He wants the most driver involvement possible. Not only does he rev match... He also matches tone and pitch as a driver (according to his wife, attempts to). This allows the most driver to car connection possible.