GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Snow guard may not actually be a snow guard

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
It's for more driver involvement. Some people just drive their car. He wants the most driver involvement possible. Not only does he rev match... He also matches tone and pitch as a driver (according to his wife, attempts to). This allows the most driver to car connection possible.

Watch me Fred Flinstone this b*tch!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
+1

Look at that smartie thinking outside the box ;)

therealslimhazy

has anyone here had their "snow guard" off for multiple years without problems? i see so many "ive recently taken mine out" responses but nobody saying "i've had mine out for 5+ years with no car problems out of the ordinary"
i'm thinking about taking mine out, but want to make sure that it isn't going to cause longevity problems in the long run.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Anyone know the part # for the snow guard for a 2017 Alltrack? I broke mine trying to do some maintenance (the drain tube popped off and also wanted to clean out the disgusting airbox).

MALMAZDA

I've had mine off and open driver side for 7000 miles and went trough heavy rain and snow with no problem.

I even checked the filter multiple times and everything was fine.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
has anyone here had their "snow guard" off for multiple years without problems? i see so many "ive recently taken mine out" responses but nobody saying "i've had mine out for 5+ years with no car problems out of the ordinary"
i'm thinking about taking mine out, but want to make sure that it isn't going to cause longevity problems in the long run.
I have had my "snowguard" off since the car was new for about 2 years. It rains here for about 7 months of the year and we see snow about once to twice a year. I have not had any issues with regards to water and snow entering the intake tract and causing issues. I usually have the intake off a few times a year to clean the filter and to check around for issues. I did notice that one side of the filter is slightly dirtier than the other side so the air distribution theory may have some merit. Even then it's not an issue as I just flip the filter around every so often. If it makes any difference, my setup also includes the GTE intake block off plate and I have my drivers side of the intake drilled out.

Last edited:

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I don't plan on turning my GTI into a snow-plow anytime soon, it is staying off! Though I will inspect the filter at sometime to see if there is uneven dirt distribution, though I don't think it really matters if its even or uneven. Regular cleaning is the best solution.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Off for about 40k. Desert climate with occasional rain. Rained almost nonstop for several days during my trip to the Bay area. No issues. Driver side drilled out, passenger side block off plate, K&N oiled panel filter.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
VW doesn't deliver cars in hot climates with a snow guard installed from the factory.

So I think it's quite literally a snow guard. Not a rain or dust guard.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I've had mine removed for years with no issues.