GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Issues affecting SOS emergency calling

burnsie

Hello from the UK,

I bought a brand spanking new Golf MK 8 Style in July, and had nothing but problems with it.
1. It would regularly and randomly make a shorting out/popping sound in the speakers and display a message on the dash saying "Emergency call is activated"
2. It would show a yellow warning on the dashboard saying "Error: Emergency call. Please visit the workshop". This would disappear once you parked the car and returned to it.
3. Several messages relating to an issue with the 12v battery system, including the battery dying totally once resulting in it having to be jump started by the AA.
4. Several warnings related to the driver assistance features being "unavailable".
5. The main dashboard occasionally not showing the navigation prompts with a message "route guidance is not active" despite route guidance being clearly displayed on the center screen along with voice prompts.

I took it back to the workshop 3 times to get these issues looked at, each time they told me it was all fixed with a "new software update" that they had applied. Eventually I got sick of this as the issues kept happening and demanded a replacement vehicle, which Volkswagen provided.

I have had the new vehicle for one week now and it is exhibiting the exact same behaviours with the Emergency call warnings and activations. Volkswagen have asked me to return it to the workshop for them to investigate, but I'm not at all confident that they will be able to provide a solution other than claim that they've done a software update.

I have read the news articles saying that the MK 8 was recalled for similar issues to this, and that they have since been resolved by a software update. I purchased my vehicle after the software update was made available and the workshop have told me that these were most definitely applied...

Has anyone else heard of other MK 8's with similar issues or am I just unlucky to have scored two lemons in a row?

Attachments

• car1.png
    car1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,412
  • car2.PNG
    car2.PNG
    572.7 KB · Views: 669
  • car3.png
    car3.png
    848.6 KB · Views: 1,280
  • car4.PNG
    car4.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,243

LCRacing

I picked up my MK8 Style last week. I'm assuming VW carried out the software update before i picked the car up.

Only driven 100 or so miles but reading through your post the only one of these I've experienced is 'Several warnings related to the driver assistance features being "unavailable".

This message appears once about 5 mins or less after commencing each journey.

I'll keep an eye out for any of the other issues you've mentioned. The MK8 has over the air updates I believe and mine has already downloaded and installed one software update this week.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone else heard of other MK 8's with similar issues or am I just unlucky to have scored two lemons in a row?
Yes, have exactly the same issue (and others) . Car is back at garage now for control unit to be replaced. Which was completed on Monday, but still not got the car back so am guessing it did not fix it.

oakserver

Yes, have exactly the same issue (and others) . Car is back at garage now for control unit to be replaced. Which was completed on Monday, but still not got the car back so am guessing it did not fix it.

Let us know how you got on with a new control unit.

I've had all sorts of errors in the last couple of days, Drive system / Front Assist Unavailable / SoS unavailable / Beeping from the parking sensors when nothing is there. Its a right mix of weird and wonderful messages that are completely unrelated. They seem to clear by restarting the engine luckily but soon return.

Sounds like some kind of software bug that they are struggling to rectify. An update this week over the air seemed to make things a little worse!

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Let us know how you got on with a new control unit.
Didn't fix it. Now got to decide whether to let them try something else or replace the car.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Are now going to replace the infotainment unit

oakserver

Good Luck M4ttV.

Mine is with the VW dealer today and they are keeping it in overnight to see if the problem is resolved. First fix is just to apply the latest updates - not sure that's going to cut it though as I think I've already got the most up to date update (applied 11 June)

We'll see.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Are now going to replace the infotainment unit
They have now corrected it is the 5F unit being replaced and is on a 2 month back order.

oakserver

Well got my Golf back today. The infotainment no longer works, just stuck on 'Loading settings'. Cant use the radio or satnav. Great - its worse now than when it went in.

They have advised that they are ordering a control unit. I don't know which control unit though - they didn't elaborate, but they say there are none available in the UK and will need to be shipped from Germany.

Brian-G8

Hello from the UK,

I bought a brand spanking new Golf MK 8 Style in July, and had nothing but problems with it.
1. It would regularly and randomly make a shorting out/popping sound in the speakers and display a message on the dash saying "Emergency call is activated"
2. It would show a yellow warning on the dashboard saying "Error: Emergency call. Please visit the workshop". This would disappear once you parked the car and returned to it.
3. Several messages relating to an issue with the 12v battery system, including the battery dying totally once resulting in it having to be jump started by the AA.
4. Several warnings related to the driver assistance features being "unavailable".
5. The main dashboard occasionally not showing the navigation prompts with a message "route guidance is not active" despite route guidance being clearly displayed on the center screen along with voice prompts.

I took it back to the workshop 3 times to get these issues looked at, each time they told me it was all fixed with a "new software update" that they had applied. Eventually I got sick of this as the issues kept happening and demanded a replacement vehicle, which Volkswagen provided.

I have had the new vehicle for one week now and it is exhibiting the exact same behaviours with the Emergency call warnings and activations. Volkswagen have asked me to return it to the workshop for them to investigate, but I'm not at all confident that they will be able to provide a solution other than claim that they've done a software update.

I have read the news articles saying that the MK 8 was recalled for similar issues to this, and that they have since been resolved by a software update. I purchased my vehicle after the software update was made available and the workshop have told me that these were most definitely applied...

Oh yes haven’t we all ! My new mk8 eTSI has been back 5 times … still nothing sorted .. new sos unit to be fitted. The sequence of events is : double knock sound from the sos unit, the globe symbol on the screen disappears and if the green sos light goes blank I get the full sos warnings - go to workshop etc. It stays in that state for the remainder of the journey and only resets after shutting down. The double knock seems to occur at certain spots within metres ! Maybe it’s the SIM not switching cells. It’s a real pain isn’t it .

burnsie

Oh yes haven’t we all ! My new mk8 eTSI has been back 5 times … still nothing sorted .. new sos unit to be fitted. The sequence of events is : double knock sound from the sos unit, the globe symbol on the screen disappears and if the green sos light goes blank I get the full sos warnings - go to workshop etc. It stays in that state for the remainder of the journey and only resets after shutting down. The double knock seems to occur at certain spots within metres ! Maybe it’s the SIM not switching cells. It’s a real pain isn’t it .
I gave up after 5 months and demanded all my money back. I have now bought a Peugeot, and whilst it's not as nice to drive as the Golf, I've not seen a single warning light!

Mikelondon08

My brand new Golf is also suffering from all the same issues as above - the emergency SOS warning comes on about 50% of journeys, the popping noises in the speakers - the satnav going nuts and having no clue where we are - same time getting warnings to slow down etc etc. Booked to go into the dealer (which is also a joke in London - the closest one to me has first availability 25th October!). Such a shame as otherwise I really like the car.

PaniV2

I know how you feel my patience with VW is running out too, wishing I had done more research and found this forum earlier, I thought I got a good deal when I bought a used 2021 GTE at only 3 months old with only 1200 miles, I was told by dealer the first owner was an older gent who could not get on with the technology and charging the car as he lived in a flat also told the warranty history showed it had only had a minor software update to do with remote locking. Within days of collecting I was getting the well documented issues, I returned to my local dealer who informed me of over 58 faults stored in the memory and one of the worst they had seen and was I aware it had been backed to VW as a problematic car and should speak with the supplying dealer!…….Ouch, to date It’s been off the road for a total of four weeks, I have returned the car to the supplying dealer and raised a case with VW customer services however even they have told me they don’t currently have a fix & Germany are still trying to find a solution also I have to sort out any compensation or replacement vehicle with the supplying dealer.

I am totally shocked that VW and their dealer network are continuing to take orders knowing the issues….even worse to resell on the problematic cars they are buying back to more unsuspecting customers.

I am due to collect again next week if the issues still there the dealer will be getting the car back!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
If you look at the scan of my car with Vcds ( https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/26105/ ) you will see loads of faults. I checked every fault with VW Tpi.. and found that all of them were mentioned in 2 different Tpi's and the expanation is that they are errors that do not effect the functionality of the car.
Looking at scans of many other Golf 8's many of these faults appear on these scans too.
Now in my case the only problem I have had since I got the car on January 2021 is the reverse camera video flickering and a couple of sporadic problems with the infotainment.
Here are the error faults:
So according to VW TPI the following event entries logged in the control units can be ignored/deleted:

The following entries are logged in the onboard supply control unit (diagnosis address 0009):

• U14FF00 – safe onboard communication/signature generation failed ‒ Symptom 15401472

• U112300 – data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom 336136

The following entries are logged in the airbag control unit (diagnosis address 0015):

• U112300 – data bus, received error value

‒ Symptom 1050629 or ‒ Symptom 1050630 or ‒ Symptom 1050631 or ‒ Symptom 1050632 or ‒ Symptom 1050633 or ‒ Symptom 1050634 ‒ or Symptom 1075461 or Symptom 1075462 or Symptom 1075463 or Symptom 1075464 or Symptom 1075465

The following entry is logged in the instrument cluster control unit (diagnosis address 0017):

• U014600 - Diagnosis interface SG module 1, no communication ‒ Symptom 16777024

The following entries are logged in the data bus control unit (diagnosis address 0019):

• U164600 – Ethernet aerial module, no communication ‒ Symptom 2097338

• U164600 – Ethernet emergency call module, no communication ‒ Symptom 2502759

• B18D3F4 – activatable functions, authentication of a transmission failed ‒ Symptom 8482816

• B18D3F3 – activatable functions, failed vehicle configuration ‒ Symptom 8482819

• B18D3F1 – activatable functions, communication failure between control units ‒ Symptom 8482818

• U112300 – data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom 847810

• P1CC400 – DC/DC converter (high-voltage), internal fault ‒ Symptom 8397057

• P335F00 – DC/DC converter, voltage drop via line too big ‒ Symptom 8397061

• U164300 – Ethernet reversing camera control unit, no communication ‒ Symptom 2494569

• U15DC00 – data bus migration faulty ‒ Symptom 1048866 The following entries are logged in the infotainment control unit (diagnosis address 005F):

• U138F00 – failure of clock synchronisation ‒ Symptom 12316

• U111000 – restricted function because of communication problem ‒ Symptom 7265 or ‒ Symptom 7197 or ‒ Symptom 7205

The following entries are logged in the emergency call module (diagnosis address 0075):

• U112100 – data bus, missing message ‒ Symptom 80

• U151300 – safe onboard communication, key not available ‒ Symptom 1381120

• B1915F1 – online services, temporarily restricted function because of battery budget ‒ Symptom 1644017

The following entries are logged in the aerial module control unit (diagnosis address 8107):

• U14FE00 – safe onboard communication, signature check failed ‒ Symptom 1375744

• B18B0F0 – VKMS, missing adaptation ‒ Symptom 1618160

• U112100 – data bus, missing message ‒ Symptom 80 or ‒ Symptom 81

• U154100 – Ethernet data bus, missing message from information electronics ‒ Symptom 83

• U155100 – data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom 12645376

• U153F00 – data transmission of Car2X certification update failed ‒ Symptom 96

The following entries are logged in the 48V battery management control unit (diagnosis address 0021):

• P0A7D00 – high-voltage battery, low charge level ‒ Symptom 28709

Diagnosis address: 0001 – engine control unit

• U041600 – ESC implausible signal ‒ Symptom: 1124102 or ‒ Symptom: 34193

• U012100 – ABS control unit, no communication ‒ Symptom: 22372

• U041500 – ABS control unit, implausible signal ‒ Symptom: 24515 or ‒ Symptom: 24510

• P162400 requirement, warning light on, active ‒ Symptom: 17324

Diagnosis address: 0003 – brakes control unit

• U164C00 adaptive cruise control control unit, no communication ‒ Symptom: 8516

• U165700 brakes control unit min. a signal for code plausibility not received ‒ Symptom: 4178

• C118700 brake servo passive/sporadic ‒ Symptom: 4611

• C1100F0 hydraulic support not possible ‒ Symptom: 331280

• C10E129 brake motors, implausible signal ‒ Symptom: 331296

• C10E1F1 brake motors, position unknown ‒ Symptom: 33010

Diagnosis address: 0013 – adaptive cruise control

• U112100 data bus, missing message ‒ Symptom: 1089

• U112300 data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom: 209153 or ‒ Symptom: 2101 or ‒ Symptom: 723

• U112200 data bus, implausible message ‒ Symptom: 615 or ‒ Symptom: 616 or ‒ Symptom: 822 or ‒ Symptom: 828

Diagnosis address: 0023 – braking assistance

• P06B800 internal system error, RAM memory error, active/passive ‒ Symptom: 435568

• U300100 control unit, faulty after-running, active/passive ‒ Symptom: 369232

• U012900 brake electronics control unit, no communication, passive ‒ Symptom: 106576 or ‒ Symptom: 107584

• U12DC00 received error value for brakes control unit, passive/sporadic ‒ Symptom: 108336

• U14E400 received error value for gearbox electronics control unit ‒ Symptom: 107024 or ‒ Symptom: 6725

Diagnosis address: 003C – lane change assist

• U112300 data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom: 2236437 or ‒ Symptom: 2240563

Diagnosis address: 0044 – power steering

• U112300 received error value for data bus, passive/sporadic ‒ Symptom: 1350 or ‒ Symptom: 1356

Diagnosis address: 006C – reversing camera

• U112100 data bus, missing message ‒ Symptom: 13705496 or ‒ Symptom: 13705507 or ‒ Symptom: 1370522 or ‒ Symptom: 80

• B201000 no basic setting ‒ Symptom: 10489856

• U112300 data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom: 13706004

Diagnosis address: 0069 – trailer function

• U042200 computer 1/ onboard supply control unit, implausible signal ‒ Symptom: 117016 or ‒ Symptom: 883976

• U041500 ABS control unit, implausible signal ‒ Symptom: 336920

Diagnosis address: 0076 – park assist steering

• U112300 data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom: 13637426 or ‒ Symptom: 2236437 or ‒ Symptom: 224056 or ‒ Symptom: 2240563 or ‒ Symptom: 13637430

• U112100 data bus, missing message ‒ Symptom: 12648992

Diagnosis address: 00A5 – Front camera for driver assist systems

• U112300 data bus, received error value ‒ Symptom: 1123173