GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
It is ridiculous that they don't give you a courtesy car, I have mine nearing to 8 weeks and now it could be another 3 weeks. They changed the display and the reverse camera still acts up with the flickering. I am told that a testing technician has come from I don't know where and that he will deal with my car specifically and I am also told that there are other cars with the same problem and that they are awaiting for my solution to resolve those.
Good news is i will get compensated with a free tour at the VW Factory in Wolfsburg Germany and a free keyring :LOL: :LOL: yeah right..

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
For info I had to collect my car again yesterday from the Dealer (no courtesy car as my car is drivable so VW wouldn't authorise) as the new steering wheel I mentioned in my earlier post is on back-order without a delivery date being available. VW have authorised the new steering wheel but not the associated bit of the wiring loom. That would only be authorised if the new wheel doesn't sort the problems out. The Dealer has advised me that they will want the car back for a couple of days for the steering wheel to be fitted! Must not be a straight forward job or perhaps they need to double check everything before telling me that it needs the loom aswell!
I think that there maybe there has been a misunderstanding that I had better correct. On reflection I could have worded the above differently. I too think that in the circumstances VW should have been prepared to provide me with a loan car but to be clear I don't think the Dealer asked them, preferring to speak to me first and ask me the question about me taking and running the car whilst we waited for the replacement steering wheel. They spoke to me last Friday and told me they would order the steering wheel yesterday but that it would be on back-order. I knew from that conversation that all their loan cars were out so when they called me yesterday I reluctantly agreed to take the car back while we waited. I must be getting soft in my old age but I do very little mileage these days, so it is no great hardship to me and I thought it might help the Dealer a bit. I was told however that as the car was drivable, and therefore safe, that VW would have said (initially at least) that they wouldn't sanction paying for a loan car in the circumstances. I could have argued the point but chose not to do so.

Apologies for misleading if that is what I did.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
The jpeg I included showed my navigation database as being 21.2 which is now 21.3 which presumably was an OTA rather than a garage download.

Yes. Map updates seem to come ota, and without any notification or need for user intervention. Mind you, I think ours is currently at 21.5. Will have to check tomorrow.

I’ve also had a ‘minor’ software update ota, where it did ask for approval to download and install. However, this was for things like ‘improvements’ to the shop. Any change in the software version (eg currently on 1668) has had to be done by the dealer, where it apparently takes around 5 hours…..

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So I was contacted by my VW Dealer who were contacted by Higher ups in VW Germany. A note was sent to all Dealers in Europe and in regards to the video flickering happening with the reverse camera.
All hardware work is to be stopped because they have found that the problem is software related and that a new software update is coming soon.
It could be the 1806 that I mentioned earlier where on the Octavia the software update fixes the camera problem.
I will still need to go to the Dealer to get it updated so no OTA like the ID's that I know of.
Also this new update could be applied for other software problems. We will know when it arrives...
Anyway to cut the long story short I got my wonderful Car back... Oh Boy :cool:

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
Out of interest this is the pic I took of my sys info yesterday after getting my car back to wait for the new steering wheel (which has arrived by the way) to be fitted on 2 August. The nav has been updated to 21.5 and strangely the display hardware and software is now listed with the relevant numbers etc. Not sure what has happened there. Anyone able to explain?

sys info 7.7.21.jpg

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
When i got my car back i had the same problem that the display information was unknown. I reset the infotainment unit by long pressing the on/off button for 15 seconds and the numbers appeared. I think it is another sw bug. Hey VW add this to your big list of bugs…Also they swapped my diplay with a different one: before i had the H46 and SW 2092 now i have a H41 and SW 3074. Didnt notice any difference….

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Tbh if I knew before buying the car the problems they were having I wouldn’t have brought it, I’m speaking to the general manager on Tuesday. If they do by some miracle fix all the issues I’ll report back with what they did to do that.
There are always problems with new generation cars. You should always wait a year or so so they can get all the kinks worked out. You would think these problems would have been fixed when they were testing the car. But it seems like the customers are now testers.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Dear Massimo,

How can they change the hardware? In your case from H46 to H41. Logic would say you have had a downgrade?
All these numbers are confusing because VW didn’t design, build and install decent computers stuff in the first place. At least two versions of crap hardware have been supplied, that VW are struggling to sort with various software updates.

When I get my car back this afternoon if MOST things are working I will just live with what I’ve got. I fear that it will have more problems after going in than before. The Mk8 Golf is trying to be too clever for it’s own good

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
From my experience having spoken to many people in my local dealership they are not been totally honest about what they know. I’ve found there’s a lot of we’re in contact with VW but can not disclose any details. Since having my second Mk8 which is running software 1664 touch wood the only issue that still persists is the ACC picking up random speed signs which they say VW are looking in to but they don’t have any date for a fix.

having spoke to the brand manager and the franchise manager they both “unofficially” agreed the cars shouldn’t have been realised when they were and it’s the luck of the draw of you get a good car or not.

but there’s definitely a case to reject the vehicle like I did and get it exchanged or purchase another model.
I work at a Honda dealership, and have called Honda technical hotline. When we have problems like this, Honda doesn't tell the dealers or techs anything.all they say is they are aware of the problem and are looking into it. Dealers are usually the last to know any real info. I doubt the vw dealer was told anything of substance. Speaking from experience the dealer wants to fix your car, they don't want you coming back multiple times are getting mad. It's all on vw as a company.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks Massimo - I was told by the Sales Manager that my ex-demo car had the Discovery Pro but how do you tell from the sys info screen that is the case or is it just something to do with the build date? I'm still a bit confused but that probably is the nature of things in my world! Going from the earlier posts, when the possible software update to 1806 happens will it show on my sys info screen do you think? The jpeg I included showed my navigation database as being 21.2 which is now 21.3 which presumably was an OTA rather than a garage download.

For info I had to collect my car again yesterday from the Dealer (no courtesy car as my car is drivable so VW wouldn't authorise) as the new steering wheel I mentioned in my earlier post is on back-order without a delivery date being available. VW have authorised the new steering wheel but not the associated bit of the wiring loom. That would only be authorised if the new wheel doesn't sort the problems out. The Dealer has advised me that they will want the car back for a couple of days for the steering wheel to be fitted! Must not be a straight forward job or perhaps they need to double check everything before telling me that it needs the loom aswell!
A couple days, for a steering wheel. That's like an 30 minute job it's amazing when I hear about these times other dealers want cars for repairs. We got people waiting for Honda fuel pump recalls and complaining and getting made when we say it will take an hour.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just got back from my dealer to sort my kph/mph issue. Initially they said there was no software update available but as a result of ‘enquiries sent to VW. They confirmed that a software update for similar issues would be the fix’.

I now have 1668 😳👍. Obviously everything is sorted and tickety-boo 🤔🙄🤔.
CBD87FBD-D9AD-43ED-BF7C-AC2B8E7B09A2.jpeg

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
This update has been out since January… find it strange that this version would fix the problem…the main thing is that its working for you…

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Massimo please note the three emojis at the end of my last sentence - 🤔🙄🤔. Just a touch of sarcasm! Time will tell whether everything is tickety-boo. Hope springs eternal.

nice_fish

Hello guys, got my Golf MK 8 Style 1.5 etsi DSG two weeks ago. It used to be the test drive of a dealership and came in with 5620 km on the clock, otherwise it feels and smells new and is under VW guarantee. I presume it is constructed around the fourth quarter of 2019, as the license has been registered on February 28, 2020.

How bad is it that my infotainment has an "A" at the end (see photo below)?

I have seen the "travel assist is not available" warning 7-8 times in total but as I get used to the steering wheel I see it less and less (it appears you can "milk" it from squeezing the bottom horizontal part of the wheel, but if you put your hands elsewhere it doesn't sound). In my case, the "travel assist is not available" warning comes on for about 1-2 seconds each time and I have never seen it persisting for long, or showing up in the "vehicle" screen on the infotainment.

Another problem, I have had the radio not working twice: once, it took it 17-18 mins to "start-up", then it worked -the second time it appeared I could not raise the volume, therefore I the radio appeared to be working on the the infotainment screen but no sound as the speakers were muted.

I did not know about the "soft reset" (put finger on and hold for around 30 seconds at the power button on bottom left of the screen). I will try it.

I plan to bust the balls of the dealership for a software upgrade after summer, based on the "travel assist is not available" warning, but reading around here I assume the amount of troubles I have is relatively less compared to other people.

Otherwise I am very satisfied with the car as a total experience. My previous one was the Golf Mk 7 bluemotion 1.0 DSG 2016.

Attachments

• 20210703_121931.jpg
    20210703_121931.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 299