GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
So I got my MK 8 Golf 5 weeks ago and I've so many issue with the entertainment system and other features .

I took it in to my local VW dealer who updated the software on the car but I'm still experiencing issues so the cars booked in again.

has anyone else experienced the below issues and no if they can be rectified or not ?

Parking sensors failing to work

ACC picking up different speeds than the actual speed limit in force

Wireless charge pad cuts in and out all the time with an error message "currently unable to charge the mobile device. please remove all items from the mobile tray."

Phone does not connect to Bluetooth automatically on occasions it has to be done manually

Voice control from steering wheel button doesn’t always work

Assisted brake sensor error on occasion

Sir Trashcan

I am also running into issues on a MK8 GTI purchased about a month ago. Namely:

1. Saying it needs an oil change after less than 25 miles on the clock
2. Showing a light error
3. Carplay is very patchy

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
I've contacted the Digital We Connect Help team but they just say to book it back in with my dealer :rolleyes:

I'm dubious that when it does go back in to the dealer in 2 weeks they are going to say theirs no faults present.

the ACC is the biggest issue, I drive down the motorway every day and I'm reluctant on using it incase it decides to randomly pick up 40mph again in a 70 and slam the breaks on again.

be good to get other peoples feed back on these issues too

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Sorry to hear about these problems. I had serious issues with repeated Travel Assist / Emergency Assist warnings, but those were sorted by the dealer who replaced the steering wheel and did an update to 1668.

That said, the ACC on ours has always been very stable with no phantom breaking. Hope the dealer gets to the bottom of it.

giovanotti

Passed Driver's Ed
With time, you will go over five stages of grief. After 6 months, I am almost on acceptance level :mad:.

Have a look at ACC settings and turn off the settings, where speed is regulated according to traffic signs and or data from map.
My experience is, that car uses too much available information (motorway splits or exits, traffic signs, next coming curves and roundabouts) and regulates speed mostly opposite to driver's will.
1st example: section with speed limit 100 km/h. Golf8 is on position as white van "Service", driving straight (left). Golf will recognize signs 80 on the right split lane and will slow down.
2nd example: regional road (90 km/h), several villages with limit 50 or 60 km/h. Golf wants to accelerate from 50 to 90 immediately after "end of Ljubljana" sign. Until next limitation (house in the background) is 400meters. It makes for me no sense to accelerate and break.

Find me conservative, but I switched it off.

The only thing, which bothers me is sudden drop of engine power at approx 1700 rpm when accelerating (1.5 TSI 96kW manual gear). It can be sensed as someone would press clutch and release. No continuous acceleration.
Like turbo hole.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Handydave I will check what software update mine now has and see if its the same as yours. I will also check the settings like you say Giovanotti and give that a try BUT we shouldn't have to disable something it should just work ! if its been put as a feature on the car i have seen on other forums e.g audi people are experiencing the same problems, thank god it doesn't have self drive feature. as for the loss of power mine has been mine (1.5 150hp TSI) but it sounds like a ECU mapping problem maybe

andygodber

Has the SW update got to be done by a dealer? Im sure I remember seeing an updated get installed as soon as I connected the eSim on delivery. I know 1668 is available, but Im still on 1664.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Only minor updates are delivered over the air (minor bug fixes, map info etc). Major updates (where the software version number changes) can only be done at the dealers and take around 5 hours.
Dealers won't do a software update unless one has been identified by VW HQ for your car. Our's was updated from 1664 to 1668 as part of the (successful) attempt to resolve the 'Travel Assist / Emergency Assist not available' problem (which also involved changing the steering wheel and associated wiring loom).

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
The cars going in next week for 3 days as when it previously went in for various issues I was informed by the service manager that actually nothing was looked at and only the software update was done. if they cant resolve any of the issues then they are going to look for a replacement vehicle.

Eric of Ayr

So I got my MK 8 Golf 5 weeks ago and I've so many issue with the entertainment system and other features .

I took it in to my local VW dealer who updated the software on the car but I'm still experiencing issues so the cars booked in again.

has anyone else experienced the below issues and no if they can be rectified or not ?

Parking sensors failing to work

ACC picking up different speeds than the actual speed limit in force

Wireless charge pad cuts in and out all the time with an error message "currently unable to charge the mobile device. please remove all items from the mobile tray."

Phone does not connect to Bluetooth automatically on occasions it has to be done manually

Voice control from steering wheel button doesn’t always work

Assisted brake sensor error on occasion
This all sounds very familiar I have copied your post and indicated** if I got this issue too

I took it in to my local VW dealer who updated the software on the car but I'm still experiencing issues so the cars booked in again. ** yes steering wheel replaced but only partially fixed

Parking sensors failing to work** yes this still happens

Wireless charge pad cuts in and out all the time with an error message "currently unable to charge the mobile device. please remove all items from the mobile tray." Have exactly this same error***

Phone does not connect to Bluetooth automatically on occasions it has to be done manually**
and in addition phone does not connect at all infotainment system turns black- or the app connect button turns blue the screen turns black when blue button pressed.
my car has been in for 3 days for steering wheel replacement and today it’s in the service dep having control unit Specially ordered) replaced these issues I assume are all linked
2E4BA6E4-0707-4D7D-87D4-8C7822DEBB2F.jpeg
4F9B6555-377E-4204-A748-0D9BB0D2E6E7.jpeg
A14AF88D-D71E-4766-A980-DA76BB957A80.jpeg

Last edited:

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Am I understanding correctly that the steering wheel was replaced previously and the software left at 1650? If so, this is surprising, because that’s an early software version. Usually when the steering wheel is replaced they install software version 1668.

Anyway, hope your latest service visit sorts your problems.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
This all sounds very familiar I have copied your post and indicated** if I got this issue too

I took it in to my local VW dealer who updated the software on the car but I'm still experiencing issues so the cars booked in again. ** yes steering wheel replaced but only partially fixed

Parking sensors failing to work** yes this still happens

Wireless charge pad cuts in and out all the time with an error message "currently unable to charge the mobile device. please remove all items from the mobile tray." Have exactly this same error***

Phone does not connect to Bluetooth automatically on occasions it has to be done manually**
and in addition phone does not connect at all infotainment system turns black- or the app connect button turns blue the screen turns black when blue button pressed.
my car has been in for 3 days for steering wheel replacement and today it’s in the service dep having control unit Specially ordered) replaced these issues I assume are all linkedView attachment 208862View attachment 208863View attachment 208864
I’ll let you know what happens next week, the cars going in for 3 days to see if they can fix the issues but I’m finding as each goes on another problem appears! Not happy at all really

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I get the feeling VW rushed the Golf Mk8 into production. Even more worrying is that it has been available to buy since December 2019 (in Germany) and owners are still having software issues.