GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
I get the feeling VW rushed the Golf Mk8 into production. Even more worrying is that it has been available to buy since December 2019 (in Germany) and owners are still having software issues.
Tbh if I knew before buying the car the problems they were having I wouldn’t have brought it, I’m speaking to the general manager on Tuesday. If they do by some miracle fix all the issues I’ll report back with what they did to do that.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
The issues that many owners on this forum and other forums seem to be experiencing with the mk8 Golf strongly suggests the car was released for sale onto the unsuspecting general public before it was ready.

This is one of the reasons I won’t be an early adopter of a new model, as I’m not prepared to be an unpaid product tester for VW. The majority of the software faults / niggles that customers are experiencing should have been picked up (and fixed) during pre-production testing. For VW to sign off and launch a car into production with many software issues is unacceptable in my opinion.

The initial unveiling of the mk8 was delayed because of ‘software issues’.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/27652...mk8-release-delayed-by-software-issues-report

I dare say VW had reached the point of no return as they’d have set up their production facilities to start building the mk8, so their options would have been (a) to either to delay start of production until all issues were resolved which would have cost them £££££’s, or (b) proceed with building a car with a number of software issues present in the hope they could fix them as and when customers identified issues. The second option might be best for VW from a short term financial perspective, but it’s not good for their reputation or brand image, which had already taken quite a battering a few years earlier from the Dieselgate saga.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
VW should have stuck to manufacturing solid, traditional, moderately reliable cars and leave the high tech stuff to Tesla.

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
So after my car spent a week in the dealership having a new control unit and ECU remap the car still had some faults. There is no fix for the ACC picking up random speeds, VW are aware but have no date to fix it. So I contacted VW finance and reject the car having done this myself and the dealer came to an agreement to swap my car for a new Golf eTsi as a good will gesture... this was after a very heated conversation in the dealership.

so far I haven’t had any errors running software 1664 instead of 1668.

I haven’t tried the ACC so can’t report on that.

one thing I am confused about my mats which I purchased for the old manual car don’t font in this new DSG ? Surely they must be the same? If anyone knows different I’d like to know.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
I could be wrong but was your first car a TSi? If so then the mats differ beause of the mild hybrid battery in the eTSi…

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
That’s interesting. I struggled to see the difference until I looked at the pictures side by side. The front mats are different, which suggests the floor pan of the car is different - maybe to accommodate some of the technology that‘s specific to the mild hybrid and eTSI models?

Non mild hybrid and non-eTSI models;
C720AF44-3EBA-4728-B886-707F89E185C3.jpg

Hybrid and eTSI;
9491883C-C49C-449A-9D94-E563D17CD6E1.jpg

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys for the info above. I didn’t think it was something to do with the battery and dsg box but thought they would have made the shape to just fit both models.

Wallop

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think the floor pan is different it's just the position of the plastic studs the mat clips onto are further forward due to the battery.
Normal mats tuck under the front of the drivers seat the eTSI mats give that impression with the offset bit when the seat is forward over the battery but i'm 6ft and in my seat position the battery is clearly visible.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I don't think the floor pan is different it's just the position of the plastic studs the mat clips onto are further forward due to the battery.
Normal mats tuck under the front of the drivers seat the eTSI mats give that impression with the offset bit when the seat is forward over the battery but i'm 6ft and in my seat position the battery is clearly visible.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Eric of Ayr

Am I understanding correctly that the steering wheel was replaced previously and the software left at 1650? If so, this is surprising, because that’s an early software version. Usually when the steering wheel is replaced they install software version 1668.

Anyway, hope your latest service visit sorts your problems.

Sniffer

The current Software version is actually 1788 but it isn't possible to install this version in the previous Infotainment Device, which has the suffix B. If you go into Settings on your Infotainment system menu, you will be able to identify what type of Device and Software version are installed in your vehicle. See the first and third lines of the attached photograph, under System Information.

The previous Device can be updated from 1664 to 1668 but that's a big update and needs to be done at the dealer's. There is also a 1666 Version, which was an interim fix and this, too, can be updated at your dealer's to 1668. It works in some cars but, by no means, all of them.

I am led to believe, that the 'D' Device was installed in all Golfs manufactured after Week 48 of 2020 and it is currently running the 1788 Software version. I also understand that further updates, by VW, are under development.

The Update Software button at the foot of the display screen is for minor updates only, and this will not update your system from 1664 to 1668. Finally, please note the above mentioned update versions apply only to the Infotainment System (which, admittedly, does link to other systems in the car) but there at least another 5 ECUs in the Mk8, and not all of the updates are visible on your screen or are directly linked to 1668 etc.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2021-04-27 (2).png
    2021-04-27 (2).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Sniffer

And, for comparison, here is a vehicle fitted with the 820D Unit and 1788 Software.

Attachments

• 2021-04-27 (3).png
    2021-04-27 (3).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 200
Last edited: