GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
My car is back in again hopefully to fix the following: Rear View Camera (Getting replaced) , Wifi 5Ghz not working, Climate options enabling itself at every car ignition, Driving profile non visible and now the climate menu' frozen.. some other things too...and I have 1668.
Maybe when 167x comes out it will kill the car ...

Eric of Ayr

The current Software version is actually 1788 but it isn't possible to install this version in the previous Infotainment Device, which has the suffix B. If you go into Settings on your Infotainment system menu, you will be able to identify what type of Device and Software version are installed in your vehicle. See the first and third lines of the attached photograph, under System Information.

The previous Device can be updated from 1664 to 1668 but that's a big update and needs to be done at the dealer's. There is also a 1666 Version, which was an interim fix and this, too, can be updated at your dealer's to 1668. It works in some cars but, by no means, all of them.

I am led to believe, that the 'D' Device was installed in all Golfs manufactured after Week 48 of 2020 and it is currently running the 1788 Software version. I also understand that further updates, by VW, are under development.

The Update Software button at the foot of the display screen is for minor updates only, and this will not update your system from 1664 to 1668. Finally, please note the above mentioned update versions apply only to the Infotainment System (which, admittedly, does link to other systems in the car) but there at least another 5 ECUs in the Mk8, and not all of the updates are visible on your screen or are directly linked to 1668 etc.

I hope this helps.
I am now on 1668 but it’s not reliable as I still get black screens - this update is a huge improvement but after the update 2 days later the battery died it’s not a great experience- Thank-you for the information regarding the D device I don’t even appear to have a “B”

Attachments

• 409E2B59-8C5C-4D6F-AC75-1ABD4BE7FD47.jpeg
    409E2B59-8C5C-4D6F-AC75-1ABD4BE7FD47.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 660

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
If you do a soft reset (hold the on/switch on the infotainment unit for 30 secs until you see the Volkswagen text) then the Display Unit hardware / software should show correctly.

Eric of Ayr

I have raised a case with VW to try and get so one answers.
The garage here does not have a clear view about what is happening

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
So far changing the rear view camera has not solved the problem. So I am told that the camera is connected to the infotainment through ethernet. They are talking to VW in Germany and they might need to change the Infotainment unit.
For the Wifi 5Ghz they told me that it is disabled in Ireland, but could be activated at a later date.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
I have come to the conclusion that both VW and their dealers are out of their depth when it comes to anything computer related on the Golf Mk8. I never had these issues with my Austin Healey Sprite (Frogeye) or Mini 1275 GT - I had lots of mechanical problems but they were easy to diagnose and repair.

Eric of Ayr

I have come to the conclusion that both VW and their dealers are out of their depth when it comes to anything computer related on the Golf Mk8. I never had these issues with my Austin Healey Sprite (Frogeye) or Mini 1275 GT - I had lots of mechanical problems but they were easy to diagnose and repair.
It’s my conclusion : I have raised a case with their customer service dept to explain background and status of infotainment system as well as the patch status
Somone in Vw must know - time for a bit of openess

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
From my experience having spoken to many people in my local dealership they are not been totally honest about what they know. I’ve found there’s a lot of we’re in contact with VW but can not disclose any details. Since having my second Mk8 which is running software 1664 touch wood the only issue that still persists is the ACC picking up random speed signs which they say VW are looking in to but they don’t have any date for a fix.

having spoke to the brand manager and the franchise manager they both “unofficially” agreed the cars shouldn’t have been realised when they were and it’s the luck of the draw of you get a good car or not.

but there’s definitely a case to reject the vehicle like I did and get it exchanged or purchase another model.

Eric of Ayr

IMG_3505.jpeg

This is what happens still after the latest update Blue square only screen is completely black- restarting unit does nothing but if I lock car then open again it does work- its such a mess (see previous screen shot

Mattbates85

Passed Driver's Ed
So I got my new golf, this time the etsi 150 I have had it now just over 2 weeks and the problems have started! Emergency sos error call workshop any ideas why this is coming up ? I’ve managed to clear it a few times but it’s still randomly coming up, also the central speaker crackles twice before it happens. Running software 1666. I’ve reported to the dealership who should have called me back last Thursday but I’ve nothing yet ! I really don’t think they give a dam really. Kinda wished I’d just terminated the contract and gone else where to a different brand.

M4ttV

Passed Driver's Ed
Had this on both my Golf 8s. Happens at various locations. now got 1668, but not fixed. Only way to stop it happening is to set privacy to maximum. Which removes other functionaility. Car is going in again on Wednesday….