GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Software Update

Lest44

Thank you. Out of curiosity how old is your car?
Hi it was built on Wednesday, week 47 of 2020 according to plate on drivers door and registered May 2021. It was an ex demo car for the dealer and heavily spec’d.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
My car updated itself to 1788 today from 16xx (can’t recall exactly), the second OTA update and first since ?Jan.
Any idea where I can find a change log, the info just basically said bugfixes
The 816 started with software version 1635 to 1668
The 816B have started from 1664 to 1668.
Yours is a 816D and the software started with 1788 and the latest is 1803.
😉
D9C77FD0-AFBA-4CC1-B8EA-BCBA7CDF7280.jpeg1D94BB31-0E01-4A3E-B973-A19931813CE9.jpeg6D5DE047-34AE-4364-87CD-7CB99A2A9766.jpegF65FEE33-4B8A-432D-B631-3A77AE5D62AA.jpeg

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
Thankyou Massimo, very informative.
Is it technically possible to update the main software version by OTA update?

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
Do the VW dealers automatically update the software to the latest version as part of the normal service or is it only done if the customer is experiencing problems?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Koolmacher,
VW dealers are very reluctant to update software. Apparently it can take up to 5 hours and therefore the car will take up space in their workshop. They will only do it if you express how serious you think your problem is.

Massimo 2323,
Thanks for clarifying that OTA software updates cannot be done on the Golf Mk8 only on the ID3 and ID4. Very disappointing.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Just found some news for 16xx Golf Users: it seems an update is coming with software 1810 with firmware 816F. Here is a photo of 1668 updated to 1810 ...It should be the big update VW was talking about forever...
Lets wait for the TPI to come out to know more...
IMG_0283.JPG

tos

Go Kart Newbie
They did OCU recall to my golf, built early may 2021 (5H0035820E with 1803) at yesterday.
Thay said that there are latest firmware, no update....

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
This update is to bring the Golf 8 My21 built before week 48 to My22, so if the infotainment is 816B or 816C with 166x it will bring it to 816F or 816G and 1810 software …
The same is happening with the Octavia Mk4 and also Leon …
So i was told .. will know more in the next couple of weeks…

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
Just found some news for 16xx Golf Users: it seems an update is coming with software 1810 with firmware 816F. Here is a photo of 1668 updated to 1810 ...It should be the big update VW was talking about forever...
Lets wait for the TPI to come out to know more...
That's very interesting @Massimo 2323. You're on the ball as usual.

To be honest though, unless the new firmware / software adds some worthwhile functionality or performance (such as speeding up the laggy UI) I don't think I'll be rushing to get mine updated.

Since being updated to 1668 and getting the replacement steering wheel, and also the OCU recall, our Mk8 has been behaving perfectly.

From there, it can only get worse!

It will be very interesting to see users' experience of the new update.

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the OCU recall Handydave? I don't recall hearing about this before. Forgive me if I haven't been paying attention. With 1668 and new steering wheel I'm also happy at the moment.

Handydave

Go Kart Newbie
It's an update to the software for the online connection control unit. It will be done when the car is at the dealership for service or other reasons. It's supposed to help with the e-SIM connection and, since it was done, I haven't had any instances of a greyed out globe (apart from a disconnection for a few hours after the update was done) .

airforced

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah! Mine drops out every now and again but as I don't go out much these days it isn't a problem. I hope I won't be at the Dealers again until next year but I'll try and remember then. Feedback from others re the 1810 update should be interesting when it happens. Thanks.

nice_fish

I took my car for service on September 15 because of the "travel assist/emergency assist not available" dinging issue.
Instantly he said to me there appear two updates mandatory for my car, the one being for the OCU and the other being a generic update (I presume the update from 1650 to 1668 -I have firmware without letter and software 1650).

Two days later he informed me: OCU update successful. The generic update failed due to problems with the "central management processor" BCM; he ordered replacement BCM. Plus he ordered replacement wheel for the "travel assist/emergency assist not available" dinging issue, as this is due to the sensors in the wheel.

Order for both wheel and BCM placed with Germany and still waiting for parts to arrive. I am with a courtesy Tiguan in the meantime.

I will tell you more about updated OCU and updated software (IF I get my software updated as from what I read here it is not 100% certain) after I get it back.

I presume the firmware upgrade and software update to 1810 is NOT for my car, correct? (firmware with no letter, made around Q4 2019 for all I know)