GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Start / Stop button replacement

chasdrury

Over the weekend i collected my new to me MK8 GTi - loving it so far. One thing i need to fix is the Start/Stop button - the chrome effect trim is flaking and it looks like a mess. I have found a button from VW parts - $130 which doesn't seem too bad. The car is DSG and getting the trim off is easy enough but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the button from the trim once it's out of the car.

Has anyone got the workshop manual or any idea how to do this? Picture of the bottom of the trim is attached - i can't get the buttons to move a fraction at all!

20230320_210836530_iOS.jpg

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Looks to me like there are two clips at the circled locations, I’d guess that the switch then pushes through and out of the back/underside.
BC07FEE5-536F-4DBF-9893-98C9361425F9.jpeg

chasdrury

That’s what I thought…. But pulling those slightly out (enough so they click back into place) and the switch doesn’t move even a tiny bit! Very strange- at least they are out together well!!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
To remove the DSG unit from the trim you need to push out the 8 clips, 4 on each side, as in the photo below. In the second photo you can see where the clips lock the dsg unit in place. As far as I know the start/stop button is integrated with dsg module. I tried removing it once but it looked like it would get damaged. You can remove the gear selector and the Auto-Hold/Park Buttons.

IMG_6856.jpgdsg.jpg

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
This link will give you a clue as to why those two clips don’t release it, looks like you have to take the whole shifter assembly out and remove the buttons from the top.
£90.75 15% Off | For VW Golf MK8 electronic gear shift mechanism, one-button start switch, electronic handbrake, AUTO HOLD
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJs67uF

chasdrury

Thank you! Makes sense now why it seemed so tricky.
Currently VW USA customer care are looking at the case - I made the point that a button less than year old shouldn’t have worn so badly! Let’s see what they say……

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Do you have a photo of the flaked chome button?
Mine also has some minimal flaking .. maybe another year or two it will become chromeLESS😂😂
IMG_6878.jpeg