GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

State of the Forum..

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I’ve worn through two sets of drivers front mats, any monster mats aka “all weather mats” up for grabs?
I did the same. I think i have 3 sets of passenger and rear Monster mats now. Wore through the drivers. Snagged some used weathertechs on here and they've been great.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I put my monster mats in seasonally. I have a great set of OEM I use during summer months 🤷‍♂️

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
I might as well give away the GTI mats I have as well. Don't remember if they're monster mats or not. They came with the R when I bought it and they only lasted a week until I bought some R mats to replace them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'll also comment that forums are not the best for the social aspect and is why the FB groups are popular - I see the "off topic" section here is trying to somewhat be like FB with tit for tat but thousands of posts/Scamdemic thing is honeslty....a fucking stupid use of a forum but I suppose it gives those folks a place to vent without destroying high-quality technical posts.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I'll also comment that forums are not the best for the social aspect and is why the FB groups are popular - I see the "off topic" section here is trying to somewhat be like FB with tit for tat but thousands of posts/Scamdemic thing is honeslty....a fucking stupid use of a forum but I suppose it gives those folks a place to vent without destroying high-quality technical posts.
That's why off topic is a separate subforum yeah.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
I've moderated a couple of forums in the past. It's thankless and can be tiring, especially without the support of the owners or "global moderators." Hats off to those who do it!

Sometimes I forget that some people drive little enough that the end of their time warranty arrives before their mileage warranty. I've blown through my warranties very quickly with every car I've owned, especially considering my mods. OTOH, my wife's 2018 Jetta just reached 30,000 miles today. I can't believe it's still under warranty and has two years left! By way of contrast, my 2017 GTI is 18 months older and has over 162,000 miles!

HAHA! I often think that way, but I don't say it. But I also practice what I (would) preach. I usually try an exhaustive search before asking a question. Sometimes, I simply lack the correct search word in my mind or my need is too narrow to get results; it's best just ask a question. Some have mentioned the Mk3, Mk4, and Mk5 forums. Today, those cars are old enough that there's no discussion that hasn't already been had about them dozens or hundreds of times. Today, I imagine a bit of "where do I find this part" questions that need fresh answers. We Mk7 owners will be there someday. Still, some discussions may have the answer buried somewhere within 100 pages of reading, depending on the topic. I'll admit that I appreciate a short question and a quick answer with little follow-on discussion. I have a short attention span: I prefer NHRA over NASCAR. :p

I liked the FB groups for seeing cool photos and finding local meet-ups. I left FB over a year ago for personal reasons unrelated to clubs. I miss the easy meet-ups, but nothing else. I use IG for photos. I block ads; so, my content is throttled. Throttled content is good for getting me in, out, and on with my day. :cool:

I agree. Some people need the spoon so badly that they'd be content to have someone show up at their place and do the work for them... FOR FREE! HAHA! My website is fairly comprehensive. I write most entries to share my efforts and to give people some easy reading instead of me answering the same ol' questions over and over again. I gladly share links to my write-ups, which are not ad-sponsored, so that I don't have to type the same thing over and over. Once I came to the Mk7 life and made a new website at StealthGTI.com, forum mods here and in Vortex addressed me in private to tell me to stop doing that. They felt that I was "promoting" myself. Maybe I was promoting my name to increase recognition (again, no ads on my website... I pay to keep ads away), but I'm also trying to help people without being tedious and redundant myself. I get that mods want their forum to be "the answer," but it's okay to recognize that other places may be better references. I changed my tune about "self-promotion" once I started creating videos and my YouTube channel became monitized. I can certainly see how constantly whoring my videos in the forums would look like I'm trying to drive-up my ad revenue (which still does not add up to a lot). As a result, I don't link to my content very often, but I appreciate when others share my videos.

Agreed! I didn't quote it, but someone here already said that ignoring mundane questions is a subtle way to encourage searches. We gotta admit that *some* questions, such as the topics that @JerseyDrew77 mentioned, are so redundant that you can literally see the same topics on a single page of topics, the same question asked within days of one another at times. I do ignore those topics. There was a time in my Mk3 days that I was "that guy" who would answer all of the questions that I could. I wanted to help. I have better uses for my time today. I'm on the back-end slide and value my time differently today. :coffee:

Most of my content and areas of expertise, which is ham radio and towing with my VWs over the years, is so narrow and lightly sought after that I don't feel the need to jump-in with a lot of info these days. But I do receive and answer plenty of e-mails and PMs. I'm still eager to help, but I don't post as often as I used to. I mean LOOK AT ALL OF THIS CRAP I JUST TYPED! I cannot be brief; I'd be here all damn night if I answered everyone! :ROFLMAO: ;)

Take Care, Everyone!
Thanks Scott for your comprehensive info on ham and towing (and your generous sharing of your detailed electrical power mods). This is no competition to golfmk7 as there are few to none doing it, at least here, so I see your content as a net plus to this site, drawing eyeballs here that otherwise might not visit.

Last edited:

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve worn through two sets of drivers front mats, any monster mats aka “all weather mats” up for grabs?
I have a set of practically brand new front monster mats if you want them. I got some Tuxmats so I'll probably never use the monsters. just gotta pay for shipping

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have a set of practically brand new front monster mats if you want them. I got some Tuxmats so I'll probably never use the monsters. just gotta pay for shipping

Awesome, I’ll take you up on that! Just shoot me a PM with your PayPal email and let me know how much you want for shipping