GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

STAY AT HOME

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Wild ass guess? Population density. Even though these people were not working and not traveling, they were still going out grocery shopping and to get food/supplies a couple times a week. Exposed to others in the elevator and stairwells, walking to/from the store, and the store itself.

It's a lot easier to stay isolated in suburbia and have adequate space to 'stock up' on food and supplies.
To add a bit of my own conjecture onto the pile, I'd also say the increased rates among the minority populations in NY may be correlated to their lower socioeconomic position, which in turn has lead to denser housing for them.

California is finally starting to enter "phase 1" though the general lock down in the Bay Area is extending up until the end of May. All of which makes me wonder about this fall. I'm finally shooting to wrap up my degree at UC Davis, only for all this to happen. Be interesting to see if the campus is even going to be open come September.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Weren't those early numbers based on the social distancing measures that we've been practicing? Or are you claiming they were based on doing nothing at all to mitigate the spread?

Early numbers were saying like 1.2-2.2 million deaths in America this year if we didn't do any social distancing, it was the worst case scenario. The UK was predicting 500k british deaths before the end of the year. Both of those predictions were before we started any social distancing or stay at home orders.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Wild ass guess? Population density. Even though these people were not working and not traveling, they were still going out grocery shopping and to get food/supplies a couple times a week. Exposed to others in the elevator and stairwells, walking to/from the store, and the store itself.

It's a lot easier to stay isolated in suburbia and have adequate space to 'stock up' on food and supplies.
I'm looking at: "Early look at data from 100 New York hospitals shows that 66% of new admissions related to the virus are people who were at home"
These cases; "not working, not traveling, predominately at home" are still a subset of all people. The remainder of which are the majority and are actively running around like it's still the good old days and only getting sick at the rate of 33% of the total. I propose that this can only be explained logically a few ways or in combination.
A.) Herd Immunity works
B.) The power of a healthy immune system (+ youth probably helps).
C.) The genetic rejection of this virus that they already know some folks naturally have.
Not everyone has symptoms (asymptomatic) that gets this and not everyone that does have it checks into the hospital or gets examined even.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
From a contrarian & stolen from another site:

Greatest Mistakes in History;

1. The Corona Virus Lockdown
2. Adam trusting Eve, and eating the apple from The Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil
3. Electing Ofungus as president
4. Reelecting Ofungus as president
5. President Nixon's economic peacemaking trip to China ( He puked up his State lunch on world wide TV).
6. Not purchasing Apple when it went public in July 1980, at $22 a share
7. Creating the United Nations
8. Decca Records rejecting The Beatles in 1962
9.Allowing the leftists to take over public education
10. Pernell Roberts leaving Bonanza in 1965

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
tenor (3).gif