GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering wheel vibration

17Blk.Mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Hey guys, I just got new aftermarket wheels for my Mk7 and when ever i get to higher speeds (60mph) the steering wheel starts vibrating. I also put the hub ring that came with it. Thanks

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Possible causes;
  • Have the wheels been correctly balanced? There was a guy on another VW forum recently who had the same issue with their new wheels and even though the wheels were balanced when the tyres were fitted to them, they were all out of balance and had to be redone.
  • Were the lug bolts tightened in the correct sequence and to the correct torque setting?
  • Have the correct lug bolts been used? Usually, aftermarket wheels use lug bolts with a tapered / conical seat (VW OEM lug bolts are radius seat).

17Blk.Mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Possible causes;
  • Have the wheels been correctly balanced? There was a guy on another VW forum recently who had the same issue with their new wheels and even though the wheels were balanced when the tyres were fitted to them, they were all out of balance and had to be redone.
  • Were the lug bolts tightened in the correct sequence and to the correct torque setting?
  • Have the correct lug bolts been used? Usually, aftermarket wheels use lug bolts with a tapered / conical seat (VW OEM lug bolts are radius seat).

I had the wheels and tires balanced, impacted the wheels on but not too much and using oem lugs which i thought were ball seat

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I’ve had two different sets of aftermarket wheels on my VWs and both of them had a slight vibration issue. They had hubcentric rings, balanced, car was aligned, but it was never good as stock wheels.
I still have one set with winter tires, but when back to OEM wheels for my all seasons.
Try changing the hubcentric rings and see if that helps.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I had the wheels and tires balanced, impacted the wheels on but not too much and using oem lugs which i thought were ball seat
We usually call them radius seat in the UK but radius seat = ball seat.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

That’s your problem I’m sure... you didn’t say what aftermarket wheels you are running but 95% of aftermarkets are conical.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
What wheels did you get? Are they ball-seat wheels? or cone? also even with proper rings and bolts, you stilllll have to hand tighten in the air in a star pattern very precisely and with multiple successive turns on each, 2-3. then, on the ground, torque to spec, 90 ft-lbs, in the same star pattern.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
What wheels did you get? Are they ball-seat wheels? or cone? also even with proper rings and bolts, you stilllll have to hand tighten in the air in a star pattern very precisely and with multiple successive turns on each, 2-3. then, on the ground, torque to spec, 90 ft-lbs, in the same star pattern.

Absolutely! I also raised the issue of tightening sequence and correct torque in my earlier post, along with correct / incorrect lug nuts as possible causes of vibration.

In the UK when buying aftermarket wheels from reputable wheel retailers, they supply replacement bolts as part of a fitting kit if these are required. With the OP using their original ball seat lug nuts, if the wheels are designed to take tapered / cone seat lug nuts, there won’t be maximum contact between the seat of the lug nut and the contact surface in the lug nut hole in the wheel. The consequences could be the lug bolts working loose, causing vibrations - or worse.

Something for the OP to check - and IMHO as a priority.

17Blk.Mk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
Absolutely! I also raised the issue of tightening sequence and correct torque in my earlier post, along with correct / incorrect lug nuts as possible causes of vibration.

In the UK when buying aftermarket wheels from reputable wheel retailers, they supply replacement bolts as part of a fitting kit if these are required. With the OP using their original ball seat lug nuts, if the wheels are designed to take tapered / cone seat lug nuts, there won’t be maximum contact between the seat of the lug nut and the contact surface in the lug nut hole in the wheel. The consequences could be the lug bolts working loose, causing vibrations - or worse.

Something for the OP to check - and IMHO as a priority.
I’m using Rotiform BLQ which as far as I know uses ball seat oem lugs. I just got the alignment done and retorqued the wheels.