GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stopping distance between GTI "S" and "SE/Autobahn"

Ketchup

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all...couldn't find any details on this....

What's the difference in stopping distance say from 60 to 0 for the 2018 GTI S trim vs the SE and Autobahn? Do the larger brakes make a big difference or is it mostly for "fade resistance"?

I have a new 2018 GTI S...when it comes time for new brakes, was thinking of going bigger if it makes a difference in distance.

Thanks!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
How often do you track your vehicle. For normal usage, there might be some difference with PP brakes but the money spend might not be worth it.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I reckon you're better off spending money on better tires if you want to stop quicker. Most of the time, people who upgrade to bigger brakes for performance reasons do so for less brake fade in repeated heavy braking conditions (track).

Agree.

I recall seeing brake distance comparisons between GTI Autobahn (with all seasons) and GTI Sport (with summer tires). Different was huge (due to tires).

That said, suspect that PP brakes offer improved feel (w/ aggressive bite).

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If you can trigger ABS with non-PP brakes you are already having more clamping force than tires can handle. And all cars should have that. Now if you have to do a 60-0 stop 10 times in a row, thats where the larger brake will help. Or if you have stickier tires and not being able to get ABS anymore.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had the standard brakes and went to PP brakes. I do not notice any difference in braking.

When I took a track training course and we were doing the emergency braking portion I had the standard brakes. The comment from the instructor was "Those Germans know how to make brakes".

However, you will look like you will stop faster as the PP brakes particular the rears look so much better.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I had the standard brakes and went to PP brakes. I do not notice any difference in braking.

When I took a track training course and we were doing the emergency braking portion I had the standard brakes. The comment from the instructor was "Those Germans know how to make brakes".

However, you will look like you will stop faster as the PP brakes particular the rears look so much better.

Sorry to go off-topic, which track was this at? :D

Been wanting to sign up for some HPDE classes (there's one in Pacific Raceways in Kent) but haven't had a lot of time...

Ketchup

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the info...I will never be tracking the car...just wondering about stopping differences with the brakes.

Looks like I'll have to hurry up and wear out these all season tires so I can get some nice summer tires.

One benefit to having the all seasons is I'll keep the speed a bit lower in the corners ;-)

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Tires are a limiting factor when braking, if you can lock your tires up and make ABS kick in you already have enough clamping power for whatever stopping you are trying to do.

The PP brakes do feel better all around, but also note they are not just the front brakes but the PP has a different rear brake setup than the non-pp cars.

In average daily driving the PP setup may not stop the car faster in 30-0 type scenarios but at higher speeds it will slow the car faster if that makes sense. As for any hard spirited driving the base brakes heat up extremely fast and become very mushy, PP setup is better but will still heat up as well and fade.

If you can find an inexpensive set there is no downside to going to upgrading to front PP brakes, but if you're never going on a track slightly more aggressive pads, fluid and SS lines may be more than enough for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

jbm119

Ready to race!
Bigger break will provide better performance when it comes to repeat-ability/consistency. A while back one magazine did test on big break kit and stock, initially there is not much difference on stopping distance. But, stock will start to fade after few stop but big break kit will hold up longer providing consistent break performance. Like many, I think better tires and break pad will provide better performance on street without major investment.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The PP brakes do weigh a decent amount more than the non-PP. Not exactly sure how much but I recall it being like 10 pounds per wheel up front and 5 in the back, cannot vouch for the accuracy of those numbers though.

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
Car and Driver tested a 2017 SE w/ summer rubber and then a 2018 Autobahn with all seasons. Stopping distance impact was huge:

"The Autobahn’s 0.89 g of grip on the skidpad isn’t terrible, unless you compare it to the 0.95 g registered by the SE on its summer rubber. And this car’s stopping distance from 70 mph, a Toyota Camry–like 174 feet—fade free, at least—was 13 feet longer than the SE and a huge 20 feet farther than the GTI Sport we tested last year. And remember, this one has the Golf R’s bigger brakes."

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-volkswagen-golf-gti-manual-test-review

I did not find any C&D reviews of MK7/7.5 GTs w/out Power Package brakes.

Ketchup

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all for the info! (I love learning)

Lets say for a one-time hard stop...

If one maintained the same size calipers (stock "S") and disks, does slotted / cross-drilled rotors change the fade resistance any? I'd assume better heat "release"?

If it's negligible in a "street" scenario, I'd keep stock.

Just wondering!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks all for the info! (I love learning)

Lets say for a one-time hard stop...

If one maintained the same size calipers (stock "S") and disks, does slotted / cross-drilled rotors change the fade resistance any? I'd assume better heat "release"?

If it's negligible in a "street" scenario, I'd keep stock.

Just wondering!

A couple years ago I read the PP stopped in 105ft. I think from 60.
It was about 10+ feet better than a similar non PP car.
Not links to info so can not verify. Data was from a year end divers car comparison.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to go off-topic, which track was this at? :D

Been wanting to sign up for some HPDE classes (there's one in Pacific Raceways in Kent) but haven't had a lot of time...

Pacific Raceways (formally known as Seattle International Raceway (SIR)); highly recommend the ProFormance Racing School there. I have also heard good things about The Ridge Motosports Park in Shelton.