sugestion for equipment

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
i need a new tripod, long lens and a wideangle lens for big group photos
any sugestions would be appreciated. i have the canon 400D

06Rabbit

Ready to race!
Tripod:
I use a Feisol. Great price for a carbon fiber tripod, very sturdy but light. I also have a Bogen 3030 head. Some bigger names for tripods are Bogen/Manfrotto, Gitzo, Slik. Advice: don't go too cheap on a tripod as that's your support for your beloved camera. As long as you stick to those brands I've mentioned, you can't really go wrong.

Wide Angle:
When I had my 20D, I used a Tokina 12-24 f/4 for my wide angles, and I absolutely loved that lens. It had great corner sharpness, minimal distortion, and the constant f/4 aperture (as opposed to the Canon EF-s 10-22 and Sigma 12-24). If I were you, I would definitely look into that lens.

Telephoto:
I recommend the Canon EF 70-200. I need low-light performance so I got the f/2.8 version. If that's a little too pricey, the f/4 version works out good. I've shot with the f/4 version and I like the images that come out just as much as my f/2.8.

billybobbovine

wants to go fast
I shoot Nikon, but i use a Manfrotto Tripod. They are super nice, and not too spendy on the low end, but you can go really high end if you go with their Mag Fiber line. You gotta choose between a ball head or a 3 way pan head. I have the 3 Way, but i dont like the one i bought.

Here are some links:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2280?livid=68&lsf=68&child=3 This one is pretty spendy, but has an amazingly quick setup, so if you have the budget, strongly suggest this.

If you can afford it get a geared 3 way head:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site...IN:AB:SUB1:AF:SUB3:AC&livid=80&lsf=80&child=4
Here are some from manfrotto/bogen
otherwise just go for a 3 way head. My suggestion, find yourself a good camear store and go doen and just play around iwth it, I seey our in the UK so i dont nkow what stores they have over there, but you should be able to find some good store.

Just my 2 cents

obsidian6

Creative.
Manfrotto tripods are awesome for the price. And when it comes to lenses, if you can afford to do so, don't skimp out on quality lenses.

The EF 70-200mm L lenses (of which there are 4 ) are amazingly sharp lenses.

I own the f/2.8 (non-IS) version and it is just brutally sharp.
The IS version is better for low light but ironically not quite as sharp in my opinion.

The f/4 version is also pretty good, but the IS version would be better in this case because the f/4 would be slow for low light.

Wide-angles are a whole different ball-game. If at ALL possible, don't skimp out in this category.
I own the 16-35mm f/2.8L and it is possibly the greatest lens in my bag. The 17-40mm f/4L is very popular and good to pick up. There are indeed some 3rd party lenses that are good in this category as well, but check out the website, www.fredmiranda.com/reviews there is a lot of good information there.