GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof relief!

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've had my 2018 GTI Autobahn for 2 months now and the dreaded sunroof squeak started as soon as the temps started dropping. It was so bad that I really began to second guessed my purchase decision. Thanks to some of the members here, I got 100% relief through $5 worth of velcro strips from CVS. I just took about 8 of the soft side 1x1" squares and placed them in the moat of sunroof edge.......poof all squeaking gone! :D

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
So I've had my 2018 GTI Autobahn for 2 months now and the dreaded sunroof squeak started as soon as the temps started dropping. It was so bad that I really began to second guessed my purchase decision. Thanks to some of the members here, I got 100% relief through $5 worth of velcro strips from CVS. I just took about 8 of the soft side 1x1" squares and placed them in the moat of sunroof edge.......poof all squeaking gone! :D

Picture of location?

monsta

Car(s)
Golf GTI Performance
Have you tried Krytox on it? Otherwise I find a quick open/close when setting off stops the noises

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Funny I never had a problem with the previous designs. That's what often happens when designers think making something bigger is better.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_VBpHkZsk

Go to 56 seconds and pause. See that curved area right there? Put a 2-3" long by 1" wide of soft side velcro strip (with adhesive back of course) front to back starting at the top and make it go down into that curved valley area. You'll need some long skinny fingers and also a popsickle stick to flatten it down towards the back. Keep it closed overnight to set it in place. Clean area with moist microfiber first so it will stick. It's probably dusty.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_VBpHkZsk

Go to 56 seconds and pause. See that curved area right there? Put a 2-3" long by 1" wide of soft side velcro strip (with adhesive back of course) front to back starting at the top and make it go down into that curved valley area. You'll need some long skinny fingers and also a popsickle stick to flatten it down towards the back. Keep it closed overnight to set it in place. Clean area with moist microfiber first so it will stick. It's probably dusty.

Thanks Diggs.
Once he put camera up from inside towards the end it was better to see.
I have had the felt for a while so will give it a go.
The other place I was wondering about was the hard plastic strip toward the back edge when you lift sunroof to tilt position. Mine sounds like when it flexes that the back edge of the sunroof is hitting this plastic strip. To bad the sunroof can not unhook easily and lift out so one can see it all.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
This will also work for the rattles during hot summer temps as well, correct?

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks Diggs.
Once he put camera up from inside towards the end it was better to see.
I have had the felt for a while so will give it a go.
The other place I was wondering about was the hard plastic strip toward the back edge when you lift sunroof to tilt position. Mine sounds like when it flexes that the back edge of the sunroof is hitting this plastic strip. To bad the sunroof can not unhook easily and lift out so one can see it all.

The part with the ridges under the back? In the video he also puts gummi pledge there. I did that and the velcro. Easy enough to do. Do both. If noise comes back you'll know velcro wasn't the fix. Not sure what one could run over those ridges that wouldn't interfere with sunroof operation.... Velcro might be too thick there.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Also, if you run your fingers in the front part there is already a felt piece in there. I think VW realized this was a rattle spot so tried to alleviate it at factory, they just didn't use enough felt, put in the right spot, or it just loses effectiveness over time as it flattens out.

chadio

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, if you run your fingers in the front part there is already a felt piece in there. I think VW realized this was a rattle spot so tried to alleviate it at factory, they just didn't use enough felt, put in the right spot, or it just loses effectiveness over time as it flattens out.

I have added felt in there, and it really is only a temporary fix. It does remove a large portion of the squeaking or creaking, but it seems I need to add more? Or is there something else to do??