GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension and wheel help needed

veedubbin

intentionally left blank
I think I have my suspension choices narrowed down and wanted to see if anyone had used any of the options. I am looking for lowering and comfort above all else...
KW V1
ST X
Racingline cup kit

Also, is anyone running an 18x8.5 with a 40-42mm offset? If so could you please post a photo of how it sits with the front fender?

Silverstoned

Lowering and comfort are opposites in the equation. Longer travel shocks give you more comfort, but you can't go low. If you go low, you're reducing travel which means they have to be stiffer so they don't bottom with the reduced travel and that's going to be less comfortable. Coil overs are always going to give you a better ride for a given height, so given your choices above, I'd go with the KW V1 over your other options. If you have DCC you will need the cancelers or you will get a new light on your dash.

veedubbin

intentionally left blank
Lowering and comfort are opposites in the equation. Longer travel shocks give you more comfort, but you can't go low. If you go low, you're reducing travel which means they have to be stiffer so they don't bottom with the reduced travel and that's going to be less comfortable. Coil overs are always going to give you a better ride for a given height, so given your choices above, I'd go with the KW V1 over your other options. If you have DCC you will need the cancelers or you will get a new light on your dash.
I understand the physics. I haven't bought a set of coilovers since 06ish so I wanted some opinions for the MK8. I have run koni or bilstein with eibach sports on my last few VWs. I am looking to lower it, increase handling, while still maintaingin a decent ride quality. The last set of coilovers I had were STIFF and a exapansion joint was like hitting a curb at speed. I have been leaning towards the KW or the ST as they are identical aside from the strut housing, but the Racingline cup kit caught my eye. The problem is I could not find one review of the Rline cup kit. I don't have DCC so that is not a concern.

Silverstoned

Sorry I can't help more. I'm on the Racingline springs (~25mm drop) and the stock DCC shocks, so not exactly apples to apples. Definitely consider 18s or even 17s over the 20s if you want to drive over expansion joints regularly. Even at stock height with 19s its pretty smash bang.

veedubbin

intentionally left blank
I am going to run 18's. How do the racingline springs ride? Do you have an photos of them installed?

Silverstoned

Not the easiest to see fender gap on a black car, but this should give you an idea. 19x85 wrapped in 235/35 r19.

bentin

Autocross Champion
This is a 9" 41mm offset with 255w tires. I think an 8.5 with a 235 or 245 would probably be just about perfectly flush in the front and a little inset in the back, my backs are pretty much dead flush.

Silverstoned

255 with 9" x what diameter wheel? It affects what the 255 does to overall tire width. I test fit an 8mm spacer on the rear of my 19x8.5 et48 and it's not perfectly flush, but close enough for me. I am likely going with 245/35 19 tires when my stock ones wear out, so it should give me a little more clearance for no rubbing when I have the hatch fully loaded with gear and passengers.

bentin

Autocross Champion
255 with 9" x what diameter wheel? It affects what the 255 does to overall tire width. I test fit an 8mm spacer on the rear of my 19x8.5 et48 and it's not perfectly flush, but close enough for me. I am likely going with 245/35 19 tires when my stock ones wear out, so it should give me a little more clearance for no rubbing when I have the hatch fully loaded with gear and passengers.
17", they're the Apex VS-5RS, and tires are Hankook RS4, 255/40-17, although the RS4 do tend to run wider than most tires too.