GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Taxes.....Filing, Amending and Owing

swcrow

Autocross Champion
I just read on the IRS page it says to not do an amended return if you forgot to input a form. It says they'll correct it, or send you a letter requesting more info. Did they already send you a confirmation that they were accepted by the IRS?
Federal taxes were already accepted by the IRS when I saw the missing form.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Federal taxes were already accepted by the IRS when I saw the missing form.
That probably explains why the refund, and amount owed is separate transactions. TT is simply giving the amended info to the IRS. I made a small error in my IRA last year. TT was telling me I could correct it, but I won't even get the proper reporting form until next Jan.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Refunds are done first, so the IRS doesn't need to pay interest. For me, it only took 3 weeks e-filing, and I asked for a paper check to be mailed. So you'll probably get that first UNLESS the system does what it's supposed to do (so I'm told), and compare the income you claimed to the data they get from the people who gave you the 1099-R. In that case, you'll get a balance due notice, probably with a penalty. So it's a tough decision, wait for the letter or try to head it off. IIWM, I'd wait for the letter since the IRS is so screwed up. I mailed my 2019 weeks before the pandemic shut the IRS down, and it took 13 months to process because I owed money. But I'm only going by limited information, and I know how bad it is to talk to a live person and get accurate information. Even if you called and got an answer the policy could change the next day.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Refunds are done first, so the IRS doesn't need to pay interest. For me, it only took 3 weeks e-filing, and I asked for a paper check to be mailed. So you'll probably get that first UNLESS the system does what it's supposed to do (so I'm told), and compare the income you claimed to the data they get from the people who gave you the 1099-R. In that case, you'll get a balance due notice, probably with a penalty. So it's a tough decision, wait for the letter or try to head it off. IIWM, I'd wait for the letter since the IRS is so screwed up. I mailed my 2019 weeks before the pandemic shut the IRS down, and it took 13 months to process because I owed money. But I'm only going by limited information, and I know how bad it is to talk to a live person and get accurate information. Even if you called and got an answer the policy could change the next day.
This is exactly what I’m thinking. TT printed out an amount I owe to mail in, but I’m thinking of just waiting until they send me a notice of “due”